The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just took out my elise from Hybernating :). when i drove it, a familiar sound was heard from last season. A weird buzzing that occurs when i am "coasting" so not when i accelerate, not when i am decelerating, really when i am in between!! it is something that is vibrating and it is loud... but i cant seem to locate it (maybe shifter???) it makes the car sound cheap... and when i took it to the dealer, they said that "well, these cars have noises...) and kinda didnt help! there are other rattles i can live with, but this one is really irritating and kills the engine musik!

I know this is a really "wide" description, but any help with common rattles and fixes would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Raven

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Could possibly be the shift cable. This was a fairly common annoyance to some in the past. Do a search for "shift cable" on this site.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The leather shifter boot has little metal clasps that affix it to the console. Two have fallen off in my car and start buzzing at certain engine speeds (like 2250 RPM, always while slowing down). Of course, the console has to come partially out in order to collect the things.

Nickels are the worst, but anything that gets under the carpeting and onto the aluminum tub becomes annoying as hell. Pull the carpet up and make sure the interior of the cab is clear.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just took out my elise from Hybernating :). when i drove it, a familiar sound was heard from last season. A weird buzzing that occurs when i am "coasting" so not when i accelerate, not when i am decelerating, really when i am in between!! it is something that is vibrating and it is loud... but i cant seem to locate it (maybe shifter???) it makes the car sound cheap... and when i took it to the dealer, they said that "well, these cars have noises...) and kinda didnt help! there are other rattles i can live with, but this one is really irritating and kills the engine musik!

I know this is a really "wide" description, but any help with common rattles and fixes would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Raven
jeeez, if we all got concerned whenever we heard buzzing, we'd never drive a Lotus.... i think the buzzing comes standard. :p:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I had a buzzing sound that was coming from the intake duct. I wiggled it around a bit and it stopped.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check the heat shield around the exhaust esp. the one around the 180 degree turn on the driver side. The front rivets fell off on mine and made a huge buzzing sound only at certain RPM's.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Description: A noise unique to the condition of zero drive-train loading - neither accelerating or decelerating - but not effected by rpm or speed.

Logical suspects: Engine mounts that are loose and vibrate when not loaded, but get pulled tight under engine torque one way or the other. Transmission gear lash (I have this noise) that is only heard at that precise neutral throttle level that doesn't push or pull the driving gear against the driven gear. Other drive-train looseness I haven't thought of that allows relative movement only when torque isn't applied one way or the other.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Belt tensioner. I had something similar to what you describe that occurred in the 3K-5K rpm range and that was the culprit.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
jeeez, if we all got concerned whenever we heard buzzing, we'd never drive a Lotus.... i think the buzzing comes standard. :p:
My dealer charged me extra..... :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have this sort of noise. I wouldn't call it "buzzing," it's more like the sound of a loose chain or loosely meshing gear, perhaps a pully with a bad bearing. It also only happens in the 3-5k range when the transmission is not loaded - when more or less coasting or gliding without using power. I would not have thought it's the sound of a belt, since it has a vaguely crunchy or grinding tone.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
it's

Attachments

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Have owned 3 Elises (2 bought new, one bought w/6K miles) and an 06 Exige.

All had this buzzing sound the entire time I owned them (including the current Elise).

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I heard something similar, and it happens when im coasting with the clutch down, and in gear. If I take it out of gear, and release the clutch, the buzzing is gone. try that!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, all great info and i will get to the bottom of it.
XTN, that is the correct description and i will test for that specifically, only thing is the car has to be moving...it wont do it standing still. i have it does it @ every RPM level, but again only when moving.

once i find it, i will post it, cause this is really the most annoying sound i have ever heard.

cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got that too... It seems to be quite common so i've learned to live with it... that said, if you find the solution let me know!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
One of the rattles I had turned out to be a missing nut on one of the front clam attaching studs. When I had it in for a brake fluid flush, the tech noticed it was missing and put a new one on.

You might want to check nuts and bolts for tightness... or missing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts