The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this damage before? It an 06 Elise no modification or repair work. The line inside of the head light has a seem on the underside , as if that is where the clam was put together. I guess My question is : is the gel coat thick enough to color sand and buff out?:scratchhead:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Looks like a case of the paint cellulite, just kidding.

I think you're right, on the second picture you can see what looks like glass fibers showing through the paint.

You need a fiberglass expert's opinion, maybe it's due to the hygroscopic nature of fiberglass.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
That will 100% NOT buff out. If you try sanding it, you will cut through the paint and expose the white gel coat in about half a second.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Has anyone seen this damage before? It an 06 Elise no modification or repair work. The line inside of the head light has a seem on the underside , as if that is where the clam was put together. I guess My question is : is the gel coat thick enough to color sand and buff out?:scratchhead:

I have this issue on my 05 as well.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My early 05 has this "issue" too. The car came from TX and AR, so maybe it's heat related?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess sand and paint is the only option.
Maybe if there are enough cars with this problem there will be a recall,,,, OK I just stopped laughing, at least my oil cooler lines were covered!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My 06 has the exact same spot as the 1st picture on both fenders. I was recently comparing it with 2 others that had it too. The only thing is I don't remember when it appeared or when I first noticed it so don't know if it's something new. Fwiw it's under the starshield.

I'm not too worried about is as you can't really see it unless the light hits it right.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Too much sun exposure caused the paint to lift from the seams (note the symmetry of the bubbling). The good news is that this isn't unique to Lotus as any glass fiber car routinely left in the hot sun WILL develop paint bubbling at some point.

Once you get it repainted, refrain from parking it in direct sun for too long.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is a common issue. There are no seams on that area. The raised area you are seeing is some kind of reaction for the bonding of the headlight bucket. I saw a few warranty claims for this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had the tire off last night and looked in the wheel well again. Its where the head light bucket is bonded to the clam. The paint isn't bubbling.
After looking at some pictures I noticed that it wasn't that bad last year. It seems to be getting worse with time. The car has been in a garage covered most of its life ( 18,000 miles) and until 2 days ago it had the star shield on the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts