The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Pulled back into my garage today and the reflection on the back wall looked off color. The driver side headlight it throwing a more incandescent look vice a nice (normal) 5-6k color. Does anyone know what could be causing that? Ballast going bad on that lamp? Seems weird to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Bulb going bad? Unless you changed them, the stock ones are closer to 4300K.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulb going bad? Unless you changed them, the stock ones are closer to 4300K.
Yeah I think/hope it’s just the bulb. I haven’t swapped anything...car has 76k miles. I may do a swap a roo with passenger side bulb to see if it is the bulb....Or, which I hope it’s not, maybe it’s the ballast. Shipping times are not looking good for bulbs and ballasts with the COVID-19 BS ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most likely the bulb is nearing failure. I assume you haven't done the DRL mod and your low beams are on all the time, which for a 2010 w/ 76k miles with the low beams running the entire time, I could see the bulbs nearing the end of their life. You should definitely replace both bulbs as a pair (don't do just one). As long as you're in there, you could try swapping bulbs side to side just to see if the problem stays with the bulb.

Check theretrofitsource or lightwerkz for new bulbs. They should have plenty in stock. I believe it's a D1S bulb for all Evora model years.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely the bulb is nearing failure. I assume you haven't done the DRL mod and your low beams are on all the time, which for a 2010 w/ 76k miles with the low beams running the entire time, I could see the bulbs nearing the end of their life. You should definitely replace both bulbs as a pair (don't do just one). As long as you're in there, you could try swapping bulbs side to side just to see if the problem stays with the bulb.

Check theretrofitsource or lightwerkz for new bulbs. They should have plenty in stock. I believe it's a D1S bulb for all Evora model years.
Swapped both the ballast and the bulb. Everything is honky dorey. It was probably the bulb but I didn’t want to remount the headlight, remount the wheel, bring the car down from the jack and jack stand only to find out it was in fact the ballast and have to redo everything...so I swapped them both out. I had my old headlight (whose amber blinking light wasn’t working) just laying around the garage so I used it as a parts bin. I did order two new bulbs though which should be an upgrade to those installed now. Does anyone know if the OEM ones are 4300k or 6000k? Mine look fairly bluish which makes me think they’re 6000k. But I ordered new bulbs to extend the life of my front end lighting!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The OEMs are OSRAM Xenarcs (non-Night Breaker) in 4300K. If yours are bluish, they've probably been swapped for higher color temperature ones. I had originally put 5500Ks in mine, and swapped them out for Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimiteds, which are 4350K. Doesn't look as nice, but definitely illuminates the roads better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The OEMs are OSRAM Xenarcs (non-Night Breaker) in 4300K. If yours are bluish, they've probably been swapped for higher color temperature ones. I had originally put 5500Ks in mine, and swapped them out for Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimiteds, which are 4350K. Doesn't look as nice, but definitely illuminates the roads better.
Good info.....Osram notes changing these should be done by a "professional" (quotes mine). Seems overkill; did you DIY, and if so any problems/tricks? Like the idea of brighter; would you say significant improvement over stock? Thanks......

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Good info.....Osram notes changing these should be done by a "professional" (quotes mine). Seems overkill; did you DIY, and if so any problems/tricks? Like the idea of brighter; would you say significant improvement over stock? Thanks......
They're entirely a DIY procedure. Since there's an access hole in each wheel liner, you'll want to park with the wheels turned one direction (i.e. like to the right) to gain more room (on the left), and vice versa for the other side.

Once you take the access hole cover off (3 thumb screws IIRC), you can pull the dust cap off the back of the headlamp access hole, and then unclip the bulb. Make sure when you insert the new bulbs to wear gloves to prevent any oils from touching the glass. Fingerprints or any oils will shorten the lifespan significantly.

The Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs seem to illuminate the edges of the road better than the OEM ones did. Being slightly higher color temp isn't really noticeable, aside from the minuscule aesthetics improvement. But overall I think it's a positive upgrade and would definitely recommend it for anyone that's reaching bulb life expectancy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Confirms my thinking, and thanks again: love a small victory!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts