The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried searching for this but no luck. I read a lot of posts about not being able to get the shifter into the reverse position, but this seems a little different.

The Elise shifts into the reverse position fine. I let off the clutch a little. When I hit the sweet spot and tap the gas expecting it to start moving backwards, the car makes the "whirring noise" (you know the noise the car makes when it's moving in reverse -- but not as loud ) like it's winding out, but it doesn't move.

Then I push the clutch pedal in and pop the stick into neutral and try again. As I push the clutch in, the whirring noise dissipates -- getting fainter as I push in the clutch. Back into reverse, and it works fine.

I bought this '05 three weeks ago from a local dealer. It had 1600 miles on it; now I'm right above 2,000. I can't believe it would have a problem.

The car did this twice today and had never done it before. I had the car inspected today for the first time by my local guy, but I can't believe that he could or would have caused this problem. . .

I did grind reverse once -- but only momentarily. It was a stupid thing. :( It happened the day after I bought it -- nothing recently.

What do you think? And thanks for your time!

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just thought of something.

Although I explained to my local mechanic the start-up procedure and showed him a diagram of the jacking points (he didn't need it anyway), I completely forgot to tell him to lift up on the collar to reach reverse. Obviously he figured it out, but . . .

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After searching this forum, the miata.net forum, and the S2K forum -- I realized that I'm the only one in the whole world to report this problem.

Then I realized -- it must be driver error. :(

I just took the Elise out for a little spin. I shifted into reverse about 10 times. No problems. Took it around the block a couple times and tried again. No problems.

It seems that after I pull up on the collar, push left, and begin to push up for reverse, there is a little stop 1/2 way up on your way to fully engaging reverse. I think I was hitting that stop and letting off the clutch prematurely -- thinking that I was fully in reverse when I wasn't.

I was just trying to find reverse a little too quickly. Now I will always take my time in reverse.

Just think -- I didn't sleep that great last night! Haha! rotfl

Oh well. Luckily I have the day off today, so I can get more sleep if needed. :D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Glad you figured it out =p I dont think reverse has a syncro, so its sometimes hard going in. Probably happens to me 1/20 or so times, when it does, I put the car fully into 2nd, then clutch in and try reverse again.

Works every time that way :up:

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's no synchro on reverse (at least not on the toyota gearboxes .. don't know about the rover ones), that's true.

What happened to your car ageek2000 is that you by accident had the gears alligned perfectly with the teeth facing each-other. So when engaging reverse you hit the gears and felt a hard stop before you engaged reverse completely.
Hence the grinding noise when you dropped the clutch.

The easy way around this is you first get a feel for engaged completely or not. It's not hard as there's about an inch difference between the two positions.
When you feel your hitting the teeth again, just put some pressure on the lever towards the reverse and GENTLY engage the clutch. The moment you start spinning the gears the pressure on the lever will make sure they engage fully and you're off into reverse without having to pass by one of the forward gears.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If your car wont go into reverse, put it into first, and then reverse.
If it wont go into first, put it into second, then first, then reverse.

Also, dont put it into reverse until your 100.0% stopped. The gears will grind if your moving even 0.0000001%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts