The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had my elise for a couple months now and i have noticed a weird trend, crazy girls who are bitter and angry giving me crap. I live and drive in boston so the average age of people is early 20's around here. In the last few weeks i have had some bizarre reactions from young girls. Ranging from snide comments to the craziness of tonight.

So i am driving along and get into the left turn lane when i see in my side mirror a beat up old honda coming up to the light, then i see this girl who is driving lean out and flick her cigarette in my direction... So i am like what the hell so the car stops and i roll my window down and say did you just flick your cigarette at me?

girl: yeah so what its not even your car.
me: Excuse me
girl: Who's car is it?
me: Its my car
girl: No its not!
me: (Really confused at this point) Yes it is actually my car, i own it.
girl: How old are you?
me: 28
girl: Its not your car then
me: What?!? (thinking to myself why am i talking to this idiot at this point)
girl: Its a rental
me: No actually i bought it (where the hell am i going to rent a lotus in boston?)
girl: You mean your daddy bought it for you.
me: no actually i really did buy it myself

light goes green

girl: go on drive off do something cool (sarcastically)
me: yeah sure... (slowly accelerate)

girl speeds off and totally runs the next red light by like 3 seconds...

Maybe its because i am youngish i am getting these negative reactions, but every time i am really surprised because most girls in that age bracket seriously don't even notice the car. Anyone else get accosted by angry young girls often?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
There are haters everywhere. I have an acquaintance who likes to remind me he doesn't give two ****s about my car. :shrug: As if I bought the car to impress him or something.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Did you suggest her to take a "ride" with you ???

;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I live and drive in boston so the average age of people is early 20's around here.
...full stop - that in itself is twilight-zone weird, nevermind the interactions...

·
Registered
244 Posts
FWIW - I've NEVER had anything remotely like this happen. I constantly get random strangers asking about it, but always in a curious and respectful way. And you're right the one demographic who has expressed almost zero interest have been girls in their 20s.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think that Lotus is an odd car because if you are younger than 30, people react like they did to the OP and if you're older than 30 then you're going through a mid-life crisis! :crazyeyes

I definately get a lot of haters, although most just make back-handed compliments. Example........

Several times a week at work I get people come up to me and say "Hey I saw a Lotus like yours the other day".
What they actually mean to say is "Hey your car is not so special coz I saw another one".

I just smile and say "oh", but inside I'm thinking.....
- Well it's a city of 1 million people (Charlotte) what the hell do you expect?
- Guess what? You drive a Toyota Camry and I saw 38 of those of the way into work this morning!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the definition of a good day to a Bostonian is to tel a complete stranger to fcuk themself. they are the most miserable people i have ever come into contact with.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Most of us love cars and are excited about seeing other cool cars. Most people really aren't into cars. They simply perceive our cars as very expensive. It would be naive to believe that there aren't a lot of people who will naturally view us with contempt for driving our showy little cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the definition of a good day to a Bostonian is to tel a complete stranger to fcuk themself. they are the most miserable people i have ever come into contact with.
That is apparently due to the fact that none of them lives past 30!! -poke- :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Up here in Canada in the week I have been driving my Elise all I get is:

Nice car
Cool car
Love your car
What is that car
Who makes Lotus

May be its time for you to move to Canada, on the other hand do we want you Americans spoiling this lovely English Colony. -poke-, NO...! :nanner:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Evotell, as I recall from the "Average Age" thread, you're in your 50's? Not surprising that you would receive more respect than someone in their twenties, when the assumption is that they haven't earned the car.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am a former (transplanted) Bostonian. Come down to Maryland. I swear all the young chicks here practically throw their panties at you when they see this car here! ;) The only "haters" unfortunately, are a few (punks themselves) MD State Troopers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So i have had my elise for a couple months now and i have noticed a weird trend, crazy girls who are bitter and angry giving me crap. I live and drive in boston so the average age of people is early 20's around here. In the last few weeks i have had some bizarre reactions from young girls. Ranging from snide comments to the craziness of tonight.

So i am driving along and get into the left turn lane when i see in my side mirror a beat up old honda coming up to the light, then i see this girl who is driving lean out and flick her cigarette in my direction... So i am like what the hell so the car stops and i roll my window down and say did you just flick your cigarette at me?

girl: yeah so what its not even your car.
me: Excuse me
girl: Who's car is it?
me: Its my car
girl: No its not!
me: (Really confused at this point) Yes it is actually my car, i own it.
girl: How old are you?
me: 28
girl: Its not your car then
me: What?!? (thinking to myself why am i talking to this idiot at this point)
girl: Its a rental
me: No actually i bought it (where the hell am i going to rent a lotus in boston?)
girl: You mean your daddy bought it for you.
me: no actually i really did buy it myself

light goes green

girl: go on drive off do something cool (sarcastically)
me: yeah sure... (slowly accelerate)

girl speeds off and totally runs the next red light by like 3 seconds...

Maybe its because i am youngish i am getting these negative reactions, but every time i am really surprised because most girls in that age bracket seriously don't even notice the car. Anyone else get accosted by angry young girls often?
Dye your hair gray....end of problem.rotfl

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am a former (transplanted) Bostonian. Come down to Maryland. I swear all the young chicks here practically throw their panties at you when they see this car here! ;) The only "haters" unfortunately, are a few (punks themselves) MD State Troopers.
Please provide pictures of said panties :D

1 - 20 of 108 Posts