The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car like any other day in the morning and let it warm up for about a minute as usual. I started going and it was hesitating a bit. Nothing a bit of gas couldn't solve I thought. Maybe I was not working the clutch?? As I started going down the street, it acted like I was out of fuel and it died on me. I started the car and it puttered and died again with the check engine light. I took the key out and started it back up and it started and got going just fine after that. No engine light, no hesitation, nothing at all. I drove it 22 miles to work in traffic and everything was normal except the traction control light came on a little bit later.

Any of you have this issue before? I'm trying to figure out what it could have been. Also if you guys have a Bluetooth OBD reader, what do you recommend? I need to get one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Autozone or Advance will scan the code for free to get you started.

I would guess MAF or O2 without knowing any other symptoms. Those are just based on prior car knowledge, not specific to the Evora...Hopefully someone else will have better info for you.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Been there, done that. Happens to me on occasion if backing into my uphill garage, and trying to be gentle to clutch I stall car. When it stalls car moves forward in reverse till I hit brake.....does not like that. It can take a few starts to get everything back in sync I think. I would not worry and that code will usually clear after a half dozen cycles or so.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there, done that. Happens to me on occasion if backing into my uphill garage, and trying to be gentle to clutch I stall car. When it stalls car moves forward in reverse till I hit brake.....does not like that. It can take a few starts to get everything back in sync I think. I would not worry and that code will usually clear after a half dozen cycles or so.
I wasn't moving when it died though. I was at a red light. I'm in Houston so there are no hills lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autozone or Advance will scan the code for free to get you started.

I would guess MAF or O2 without knowing any other symptoms. Those are just based on prior car knowledge, not specific to the Evora...Hopefully someone else will have better info for you.
Ill check Autozone and see what comes up. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Best of luck here. I was pointing out how my car threw codes. Not that you ever have water issues in Houston (just keeping things on the light side), you could have rec'd a load of fuel with some water in it. Cars tend to hiccup on H2O. TC lights are usually a side effect from the other issues. Hopefully it was just that, you clear the codes and move on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car started up fine as normal today. Let it warm up about a minute more than usual and nothing happened at all. It could have been bad gas because it felt like I was out of gas when it was hesitating to go. Its almost empty so I will fill her up and monitor how things go.

I did have a random engine check light that popped up a month ago but then it went away on its own by the time I was able to take her into the dealership. He ran all kinds of diagnostics and didn't find anything wrong what so ever. One of the things you gotta love about our cars!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I'm saying all these edge cases of weird issues but I have been driving the car every day for the past 3 years and honestly its been one of the best reliable car I've ever had.

·
Hickory, NC
978 Posts
Mine acted like that once when I cranked it on a cold winter morning.
Threw a check engine light that ended up being misfire on #1 cylinder. I purchased an OBD from Advanced because that’s the only way I found this out.
I cleared the code and cleaned the MAF just for giggles, nothing since.
I was thinking bad gas like you but it was just cold. Now she sits in a heated garage on a velvet pillow!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine acted like that once when I cranked it on a cold winter morning.
Threw a check engine light that ended up being misfire on #1 cylinder. I purchased an OBD from Advanced because that’s the only way I found this out.
I cleared the code and cleaned the MAF just for giggles, nothing since.
I was thinking bad gas like you but it was just cold. Now she sits in a heated garage on a velvet pillow!
lol heated garage on a velvet pillow.

She's running absolutely just fine now... go figure. I'll buy a OBD reader off amazon or something and see if it comes back up.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
In general, dash lights on a vehicle running fine are the joys of Electronics. Run thru a dozen cycles and usually they clear. Exceptions are the Red Lights like low oil, brake fail etc. Even my trustee Miata threw a random cide last week for No apparent reason. Hooked up my now ancient OBDcom unit ans cleared it. No underlying reasons.

Reactions: MrMaru
1 - 11 of 11 Posts