The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this '08 S240 and I'm trying to figure out what's going on at low speeds (< 10mph) after pressing the traction control button (2s)

Video - https://youtu.be/-1cEJ5O7Gu8

Anyone seen this before? Is it a tune someone can identify?

The shift indicators come up and touching the throttle causes rhythmic blips. If I mash the throttle it tops out rpms at 2k.

This is not a drag car or a drift car, but it's hurting my fun by making it impossible to "peel-out" or "parallel park".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows what this is?

Perhaps someone has an idea how one could achieve something like this? Popular off the shelf tune? Or known tuning software that could do this?

I'm assuming it's not factory behavior?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, traction control will make both of those things impossible.
Whoops, my OP was confusing, let me clarify -

Holding the traction control button for 2s in an Exige will turn standard traction control OFF (and engage variable slip mode, actually). In my case I also get this dumb blip thing. I'd love to know what it is so I could undo it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't explain correctly.

Holding the TC button for 2s turns *off* the TC (actually it goes into variable slip mode). Unfortunately under 10mph my car uses this *other* mode. This makes it hard to drive around w/ TC off.

Any idea how a previous owner might have achieved this? Is it a known OTS tune, or possible from messing w/ some specific tuning software?

Also, how can I disable this mode? Any particular software I can get?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The 2008+ cars have launch control from factory. It's supposed to reset itself to off when you turn off/restart the car iirc, but I think it still advises the driver to turn it completely off by setting it to max RPM.

I just tried it on my car to my to confirm to do this, but basically..
1. Key on without engine running - press and hold down the throttle pedal for 5~6 seconds.
2. The display will show "Launch" and the RPM needle will set itself to the previous setting. Keep the throttle pedal down.
3. While the throttle pedal is down, adjust the Launch RPM with the knob on the left side of the steering column. Counter-clockwise to lower the RPM, clockwise to raise the RPM. Set it to as high as it'll go(8000) to disable Launch Control.
4. Once the RPM needle is set to desired RPM, only then release the gas pedal to confirm.
5. Start the car - now the car will only rev to the preset RPM until the car reaches 6mph.

You can read owner's manual, the supplement section for the 2008+ cars on how to adjust the Launch Control as Lotus intended.
I think you can find a pdf on google.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2008+ cars have launch control from factory. It's supposed to reset itself to off when you turn off/restart the car iirc, but I think it still advises the driver to turn it completely off by setting it to max RPM.
This was it! So it was the factory launch control after all. Even after unplugging the battery it didn't reset, but I set it max RPM like you described in your post and it went away.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
This was it! So it was the factory launch control after all. Even after unplugging the battery it didn't reset, but I set it max RPM like you described in your post and it went away.

Thanks so much!
haha, glad it helped!

It's kinda fun to use it at autocrosses especially when it's kind of wet out.
Here's me launching with it set to 4500 RPM. Variable TC was also set, and you can hear it go off at 0:33 mark. It won't save you if you do something stupid like trying to break the laws of physics, though.
It's rather uncanny to hear it kick in, but it doesn't intrusively yanks you back like the typical traction/stability controls.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
haha, glad it helped!

It's kinda fun to use it at autocrosses especially when it's kind of wet out.
Here's me launching with it set to 4500 RPM. Variable TC was also set, and you can hear it go off at 0:33 mark. It won't save you if you do something stupid like trying to break the laws of physics, though.
It's rather uncanny to hear it kick in, but it doesn't intrusively yanks you back like the typical traction/stability controls.
I love the "game over" sound effects.

San

1 - 9 of 9 Posts