The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111r k20/24
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 111r Elise with a 2zz that I've only had for a couple of months.

I've gotten around to checking the oil for the first time and am a bit confused as to where I'm supposed to read the oil level as my dipstick isn't the one referenced in the manual or anywhere online.

Was wondering if I should be reading the oil level between the upper two beads (photo orientation) or the bottom two? The manual references a bladed dipstick with two points on it, this three bead thing is kinda wtf :LOL:

As it stands, my oil level is current between the upper two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
That looks like an after market dipstick, like a Lokar universal. I thought about tapping the block and installing one of those because whatever I did my dipstick tube always leaked at the block.

A photo of the other end would help.

Did the previous owner install it? I'm not sure how you would check the level versus the OEM now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
The previous owner likely memorized the correct level based on the oem stick.

I'd not trust any markings on the aftermarket one. Find an OEM replacement or someone close to lend you theirs to check level. Then once you know you're at correct level, you can see what that shows on aftermarket stick.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The previous owner likely memorized the correct level based on the oem stick.

I'd not trust any markings on the aftermarket one. Find an OEM replacement or someone close to lend you theirs to check level. Then once you know you're at correct level, you can see what that shows on aftermarket stick.
The problem is that the down-tube is likely a different length :-(

The only way I can think of is to drop the oil pan, and that is a pain.

·
Registered
111r k20/24
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It got changed previously I think because the local dealer/service/distributor ended up installing a supercharger on it. I assume they might have modified or changed the dipstick when they did that. Just an assumption. That shop is still around but they're closed for the weekend so I figured I'd ask here since I didn't know if it was normal or not... seems it's not normal :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the heads up all, now I know which tree to bark up...

·
Administrator
11,259 Posts
Is this a Rover engine or Toyota? @ iana might know more about that dipstick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks self explanatory to me, keep it between the top 2 swedges. Verify correct level by changing the oil and putting in the correct amount and then read the dipstick.
This is the right answer, drain entirely (no siphon if you use one) add oil to spec and then dip. Make your own mark at the new level of it does not fall between marks.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,164 Posts
Looks self explanatory to me, keep it between the top 2 swedges. Verify correct level by changing the oil and putting in the correct amount and then read the dipstick.
This is good advice IF you have a stock oil pan.

Reactions: pnorms

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
This is good advice IF you have a stock oil pan.
Not true, oil level is the same whether you have stock or aftermarket oil pan, most aftermarket just take more oil.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
96 Posts
Not true, oil level is the same whether you have stock or aftermarket oil pan, most aftermarket just take more oil.
Yes, the level is the same, but how does the person know how much volume their aftermarket pan takes? There are a number of aftermarket pans and different versions from the same mfg.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Yes, the level is the same, but how does the person know how much volume their aftermarket pan takes? There are a number of aftermarket pans and different versions from the same mfg.
He doesn’t mention an aftermarket oil pan, so I assume it’s stock.
In his case with an unknown dipstick, I would do as suggested earlier, do an oil change and then check where it show on that particular dipstick, and he should have a reference point.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,164 Posts
You are correct nobody knows the volume of the oil pan the op has.Experience has taught me the makers of aftermarket pans often list incorrect capacity.
So if it’s a pan that has more capacity than stock and you take the advice given you will be low on oil.
Some spirited driving could starve the motor of oil.
We know what happens then.
This is a case where advice should never be given until you know ALL the details.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
2011 Evora S, 2017 BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
171 Posts
I still stand by my statement. When he puts the spec amount of oil in if he has an after market pan that takes 6qts it will not show on the dipstick. Then further investigation should be made. If it reads over full then the dipstick is probably wrong and further investigation is required also. Not impossible but having 2 separate issues is highly unlikely.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,164 Posts
I still stand by my statement. When he puts the spec amount of oil in if he has an after market pan that takes 6qts it will not show on the dipstick. Then further investigation should be made. If it reads over full then the dipstick is probably wrong and further investigation is required also. Not impossible but having 2 separate issues is highly unlikely.
Not going to argue. I think the dipstick and dipstick tube are available from Toyota. I would buy them and do things correctly.What some have said is completely wrong but it’s up to the op to make his own decisions.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Maybe @yumenuu will pitch in again with some more photos. I imagine the block was tapped to install that aftermarket dipstick. Getting a reliable history on the mod is likely the easiest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts