The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

weird question 83 esprit

5K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Type82 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how I ended up with a black dash even though the rest of the interior is tan? also, I will be changing out that steering wheel as soon as I can.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It can't be good. A Frankencar of mixed interior parts due to some insidious event . I would convert to all black. You can remove and dye the tan to black professionally. The black parts are harder to remove and much better going light to dark.

#3 ·
Not sure on specifics, but I do know that Lotus produced cars with 2 tone interior from the line.

My 88' is all tan and cream except for the instrument cluster and the area closest to the wind screen. I have seen cars that were variations... I recall an article in Classics and Thoroughbreds with a car that was a 2 tone car...

Admittedly, the A pillar area does seem a bit "added" on your photo though...

Cameron

#9 ·
Not sure on specifics, but I do know that Lotus produced cars with 2 tone interior from the line.

My 88' is all tan and cream except for the instrument cluster and the area closest to the wind screen. [snip]

Admittedly, the A pillar area does seem a bit "added" on your photo though...
[snip]
I wouldn't rule out that scheme with all-black dash (pod, full dash, A-pillars) could be factory - the factory was pretty flexible on some orders.

I know personally of a 1978 Esprit S2 with a one-off factory metallic gold paint job - if they can do that on-the-fly, a multi-colored interior is child's play.

My 88 sounds identical to yours (and it same as my friend's 89) - black dash pod and black dash at base of windshield. Tan 'crash pad' on passenger side:

But the few G Esprits I've seen in person have all tan interior (dash pod, dash, and A-pillars) like this 84:

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
My friend has a black '83, black dash, tan interior. It is factory correct, if I recall '83 was the only year they did that.

I know of a white '87 that has white interior however the binnicale is black and the crash pad across the dash is black. The owner told me it was a 'one off' customer request.

Robert

#7 ·
Post pics if you have a factory combo of dark dash, light center console, dark A pillar, and light doors.

Most Esprits, including mine, that don't have an all-black interior have a 2-tone interior, but it's not mixed up like that.

#8 ·
I'll get some better pics of mine tomorrow if it's still light out when I get home. Seats need to be recovered and that hideous steering wheel needs to go. It's so ugly that I'll give it away or throw it away if I can figure out how to remove it.

#10 ·
I'll trade for your wheel - a new locking tailgate gas strut that may be compatible with your G car.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-esprit-locking-tailgate-gas-strut-a082u6208f-178257/#post2500801

And there is an eBay auction for what appears to be a factory G Esprit wheel (without the crash pad) that may be New Old Stock at a reasonable price (Buy It Now for $83 plus $36 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Momo-Veloce-Steering-Wheel-330MM-ORIGINAL-OF-LOTUS-ESPRIT-S3-TURBO-1981-1986-/251241891846?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7f2f0806&vxp=mtr

Note that the wheel is actually upside down in the photo.

#11 ·
My 1983 Turbo Esprit has the black dashboard/steering wheel with a coloured interior (red in my case) from the factory.

It was an factory option, the black leather dash covering being less reflected in the windscreen than the brighter colours.

Some owners preferred the dash (and steering wheel) to match the rest of the trim hence the different way they were available.

Wayne

#18 ·
I was asked to 'play nice' so I will.

I did not 'prove' your point lotusespritse. My friend is second owner, the car has less than 25k on it, the interior / car is mint and ALL original.

If this was indeed not a factory interior combo why are there more than just one out there? I feel that's a legitimate question... I only 'proved' my point that this is factory.

Now go pick a fight with someone else who is not familiar with these cars. :sad:

Robert

#19 ·
Love the way you pretend that I tried to pick a fight with you. Same old story with you...

In any case, for the others out there, the fact that your picture shows a non-standard steering wheel, missing headliner, and missing radio binnacle is more than enough for even the partially educated to know that's not all original interior. Did you really think we would all believe that's "All Original" with that steering wheel? Really??

Then for the ones with a keen eye, they will see the grain of that black leather is not factory, and then they will notice the smooth application of the leather which does not match the "bunched up" leather on the doors or the rest of the interior. That smooth look was definitely not of the 83 era. Just compare that glove box area to the pic in the first post.

Disappointing, really, but thanks for playing, and have a great day.

#20 ·
For those with a 'keen' eye...

The steering wheel in the picture I posted is a 'MOMO' same as my car. The OP's car with the wood wheel is not correct.

Regarding the radio console... it was being upgraded with a new radio at the time. Is it ok to upgrade your radio? My car had a crappy Kenwood which worked when it wanted to so I replaced it with a CD player/radio,

I'm a 'purist' in every sense of keeping a car correct to it's original detail.

Not trying to pick a fight... your not worth my time.
So please lay off me lotusespritse. I only state the facts I know and if I'm wrong I will accept the embarrasment of being wrong. :eek:

Please stop trashing the OP's post with your negativity and hatred toward myself... we do not need 'drama' here.

Oh I forgot... about the missing headliner... yes it is missing the headliner. The glue after 30 years let go. Do you know about the Jaguars that suffered the 'falling' headliner problem? It was a very common problem with the Series 2 and 3 cars... but I'm sure you know that.

Robert

#25 ·
That really is a nice steering wheel it's the contrast against the black fasica that isn't working.

When I purchased my '87 back in '01 the binnicale was messed with near the defroster vent because of leather shrinkage. I purchased a NOS bin from LCU and had French Walnut veneer panels made by Randy Keller from Prestige Autowood. He does outstanding work!

My point is with a wood dash the wood wheel 'wood' {joke} look very good together however in the OP's case it's more of a distraction.

Robert

#33 ·
elfer,
Esprits in the '80's had black plastic facia pannels. Lotus didn't go to veneer until the 1990's and to me that's 'real British'

I had special French Walnut panels made and love it. Not too many 'G' Esprits with wood dashes around. When I get a chance will try and post a picture.

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.