The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been running great ... drove to a restaurant last night ... everything good. Came back to the car ... started ... check engine light and transmission light came on solid and never went back off. Drove the car home without any problems, but lights state on the whole way.
Dealership is two hours away ...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MY car is a 2012 IPS with about 9500 mies on it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Modern ECU's are so complex, they can easily get some intermittent errors. Check if the light remains on when you restart the car. If it goes out after 30 seconds it should also reset itself automatically after about 10 trips if the error does not repeat.

Best is to get an OBD-reader and check what faults are being thrown. Unless it is something obviously serious I would reset the fault then wait and see if it repeats (this was the recommendation of my dealer service expert).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did shut the car off a couple time to see if the lights would go away ... nope, lights still on.

I will bring the car to auto zone and pull the codes and reset. I am hoping this was just a fluke, but I would have thought the lights would have gone away after a restart.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the oil ... good, rad fluid ... high (I may have overfilled) ... not sure how to check tranny fluid yet.

Sport button works fine, shifts good, temperature good ... car idles fine ... runs fine.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Only some errors are reset automatically, some are reported until explicitly reset, depending on how they are classified. If everything works fine now it very well looks like an intermittent sensor fault - otherwise you would likely be in limp mode.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to hook it up to a reader and clear the codes. I've had to do it twice in my 8 month ownership. ECU misinterpreted something. If they clear and light stays on then youl know if there's something wrong in the hardware rather than software of the car

·
Registered
216 Posts
Could be an issue with sensor connectivity as well. I would take it to Lotus and have them pull the codes; there may be a new update for your IPS system as well.

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
my 12 IPS is at the dealership currently (5 hrs away) and they said it needed two software updates, engine and transmission. (IPS update) so, you should check and see if your car is also due for the IPS update...good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback:

Here are the codes
P0700
P1613
P2104

I cleared the codes ... all lights are off ... and drove 15 miles without them coming back on.

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
i am curious about those codes, is there something posted anywhere that tells you what those mean? i would like to have a copy of all of the fault codes for our car...is it out there??

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
Anything above P1000 will be Manufacturer specific
P0700
Transmission Control System Malfunction

Probably hard to find Lotus manufacturer codes online, but I imagine they're on the internet somewhere.

The codes will reset after the test that brought the code on in the first place runs again. Some tests run constantly, some on start up, some at specific intervals. In most cars, the longest interval for testing is 100 miles, but I would not be at all surprised to find out that Lotus does something differently. My thought is always to just see if the light stays on for 100 miles or not. (or if you reset it, if it stays off for 100 miles).

·
Registered
890 Posts
cel codes

i am curious about those codes, is there something posted anywhere that tells you what those mean? i would like to have a copy of all of the fault codes for our car...is it out there??
Use the following Google search for most anything on this site:

site:lotustalk.com search string

The cause is most likely a loose throttle body connector. A software update cannot hurt. I plan to get one when spring arrives. I purchased the cel reader from Autozone and keep it in the trunk. It defines the codes prior to your clearing them.

P0700 - transmission
P1613 - undefined?
P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car ran great the whole day

·
Registered
171 Posts
Feedback IPS:

1) wrong warnings: normally all warnings which are just due to special conditions go off after the 5th starting of the engine. If after the 5th starting process the lamps still is on, there is something to be checked but is not always to be taxed as real severe problem.

2) I had some vibrations in 5th an 6th gear by accellerating on around 2000 RPM.
The newest updating of the software wiped those problems out.
One of the feelablest changements of the new IPS software, is the shiftdown to 1st gear when (for example) rolling slowly into a roundabout.

This IPS is somewhat to me as a little Pandora box.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Rskdsk had the same problem with my 2013 IPS. Thought it was the throttle body connector as many did here. It came and went and I cleared the codes a few times. Finally went into limp mode and took it to the dealer last October, and they told me there was a new ECU/TCU update that had to be applied exactly for this issue popping up on the IPSs. I don't think there are any problems, just some programming gremlins that need to be sorted out. Let us know how it develops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately I have issues with the IPS gearbox since I bought the car. :confused:

Last year in summer I had a really dangerous situation:
Driving on the motorway at 150km/h in "Sportmode" with pre-selected 6th gear the transmission SHIFTED ITSELF from 6 to 3 in one step.
I was terrified very much because the abrupt „braking“ was pushing me in front. -eek-
If this had happened on a wet an curvy road this could have had devasting consequences ...
I had to cancel my trip – the gearbox stuck in 3rd gear – and the car had to be moved by a towing company to the next Lotus dealer.
The error log had stored a fault with a hydraulic control valve.

After some weeks I got the car back but had soon another issue.

Again the gearbox was trying to shift itself but the gearchange was within 1 second down and again up to the previous gear. During this malfunction I heard a loud scratching noise out of the gearbox and a vibration could be felt. One day later I started the car, drove a few meters and needed to return because there was another error indication light showing a „wrench-symbol“ and also the „Dynamic Performance Management“ light. The gearbox couldn’t be changed to „Sportmode“, also the engine seemed to be in an „emergency-state“ with immense power loss.

So the car again was brought to the dealership. This time a field service engineer from Lotus came and updated to the newest firmware (TCU+ECU).
Driving nearly 2000km without any issues I was very happy to have the car now in the state, which should have been from begining on.

But this shouldn't be the end of the story...
14 days ago I took the car out of the garage first time this year. During a great drive I had again a self-shifting gearbox with scratching noises out of it. Immediately the MIL, DPM and GEARBOX indication lights were on and so I informed my dealership and the Lotus field engineer.
One day later all the indication lights were gone, this is usual and how I learned to know the IPS. TADTS

Because I was allowed to use the car if there are no indication lights on I decided to go for a meeting which was 250km away from my hometown.

Again I had really big troubles with the gearbox.
Fortunately my co-driver immediately took out the mobile phone and therefore we have filmed the complete situation (see the videos at LOTUS EVORA ISSUES )
Just like it was last year on the motorway the gearbox shifted itself down. Luckily this time it was less dangerous because it shifted not from the 6th to the 3rd in one step, it only shifted down to the 5th where the gear stuck until the car was stopped. In standstill the display on the dashboard was showing the 3rd gear.
I opened the engine bonnet to cool down the area around the gearbox and because of the cold conditions I was able to start the engine and shift to the first gear after a few minutes.
Again I had the MIL and GEARBOX indication lights on and again it was gone one day later. :tadts:

So in meantime I have been at the dealership, we checked the fault-codes and this is what we got:

1 - TPMS - 0 Faults Read
2 - SRS - B1091 - Warning Lamp Fault - Sporadic
3 - SRS - B1092 - Passenger Airbag Deactivation Lamp fault - Sporadic
4 - ABS - 0 Faults Read
5 - TCU - P0766 - Shift Solenoid „D“ Performance or Stuck Off (SL4) - Confirmed
6 - TCU - P1613 - Forced Mechanical Limphome Position - Confirmed
7 - TCU - P172A - Forced Gear Neutral - Confirmed
8 - TCU - P1913 - Transmission Range Selector Motor Circuit High - Confirmed
9 - TCU - P2800 - Transmission Range Sensor „B“ Circuit (PRNDL Input) - Confirmed
0 - EMS - P0700 - TCU Requested MIL illumination - Confirmed

We informed the field service engineer and I also mentioned again how dangerous the self-gearchanges of the IPS could be on a wet and curvy road but it seems to be impossible to be understood. :facepalm :mad:

If anyone of you have had similar situations and issues with the IPS so please let me know.

I really need all help - many thanks, Gernot

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would bet a few good parts that your issue is not a software issue, but either a hydraulic or mechanical issue. I recommend to insist on a gearbox exchange. You have good arguments because the issue is so serious (if not life endangering).

You dealer can manage this, he just has to show his engagement - as mine has done. Er soll Lotus die Hölle heiß machen!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Issue has not come back ... now pushing 9.6k on the odometer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts