The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car out today, and everything was fine. Stopped at the store and when I left, I turned the AC on...I typically never use the AC, but I turn it on every once in a while just to keep everything working. 3-4 miles after leaving the store, I stop for gas and after I fill up, I hop back in, turn the key on, and nothing. No lights, no beeps, nothing when I push the engine start button. When I push the big button on the fob, there's a beeping sound, but the doors don't lock. I check the battery connections, everything looks fine. I try the car again, and nothing. Thinking it may be an issue with the immobilizer, I disconnect the battery, wait five minutes and reconnect it. When I get in this time, I turn the key and we're back in business. The engine starts and the car drives fine for 20 miles or so back home. Once I'm back in the garage, I notice that pushing the big button on the fob, which would typically lock the doors and arm the alarm, results in a high-pitched beep. One beep, and if I push the button again, two beeps. But no locking of the doors. I left the car unlocked.

What does this sound like? Very unsettling to have the car just suddenly not start. I know many people have removed the immobilizer, which I would be fine with. And the car is bone stock, by the way, with everything functioning normally prior to this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
My first suggestion would be to replace the battery on the fob. I’ve read a few posts a weak battery can affect it. If that doesn’t work, resync the fob again and see how that goes. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, I'll start there, thanks very much!

I'll also do a search for re-synching the fobs and removing the immobilizer all together.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you didn't get any power at all, I don't think it's the immobilzer. Sounds more like an ignition switch going bad or a bad battery cable.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, yeah, that's interesting...

One of battery cables was very loose...just sort of slipped over the bolt...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just in case that isn't the solution, I had something similar to this happen a few weeks ago. I turns out, I gave my keys to someone to unlock my Evora so they could take a look around the interior. They had accidentally hit the trunk release button once (or so they said, once) instead of the unlock button. It didn't seem that the trunk was open though.

Same kind of stuff happened. A weird beeping noise every time you hit the lock button (car was unlocked at the time).

Double tapped the trunk open button. Opened it. Closed it. Back to normal.

·
Less is Better
2,682 Posts
One of battery cables was very loose...just sort of slipped over the bolt...
Why didn't you mention this in the first place? You said all the battery connections looked fine? As mentioned, this is most likely your problem.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why didn't you mention this in the first place?
Yeah, I should have. I initially didn't think it was a battery issue, as the the little red light was still blinking, which made me think the car still had power, but that does make sense looking back...I have to get in there and tighten that up.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I second the battery now after sharing that new information. Let us know if that actually fixed your issue.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So, the reason I thought it had something to do with the immobilizer was because after the event at the gas station, pressing the large button on the remote resulted in an audible beeping sound from the car. This was new to me. Turns out, you can set the car to beep like that when arming/disarming the alarm/immobilizer by disconnecting the battery, reconnecting it and then pressing the big fob button within 5 seconds. I must have inadvertently turned this feature on as I was trouble shooting. Once I figured this out, I deactivated the beeping using this same procedure.

Then I tightened both battery cable connections, and I think you guys were right, it was the loose connection that caused the original issue.

Then I took the extra step of following the comically complicated procedure of using the ignition key to enter the pin code of the Cobra system, and I followed the instructions from another thread to turn off the auto-arming of the immobilizer system.

Now I can lock the doors with the key, or use the fob to lock the doors and arm the alarm/immobilizer. But now the immobilizer no longer automatically comes on after a few seconds. I like this setup better and everything seems to functioning properly now.

One other item of note, apparently when the fob battery gets low, the little light stays lit. If true that's good to know.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Less is Better
2,682 Posts
Then I tightened both battery cable connections, and I think you guys were right, it was the loose connection that caused the original issue.

Then I took the extra step of following the comically complicated procedure of using the ignition key to enter the pin code of the Cobra system, and I followed the instructions from another thread to turn off the auto-arming of the immobilizer system.

Now I can lock the doors with the key, or use the fob to lock the doors and arm the alarm/immobilizer. But now the immobilizer no longer automatically comes on after a few seconds. I like this setup better and everything seems to functioning properly now.

One other item of note, apparently when the fob battery gets low, the little light stays lit. If true that's good to know.

Thanks again for the help!
Glad to hear that your problem was simple. The first thing I did was change the immobilizer mode to manual as you describe. It's always fun to program by flashing light sequences. No more pressing buttons before starting the car.

I think I can handle pressing the button when I actually want to lock the car, thank you very much Cobra.

I have had a dead fob battery many times and yes, when you press it, the light just stays on so it's easy to tell when it needs replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts