The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, driving back from Minneapolis today I got an official welcome by a state trooper.

Tinted windows (over 50%) $130.00

No front licensplate $110.00

And here is the kicker, I was not even speeding :confused:

All my excuses for the license plate did not work, but the tink was a surprise.

I will change window tint to a 50% instead but the plate stays of for now.

:shift:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Guess he didn't like dem foreign jobbers ! :mad:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
what was your tint...20%? 35%?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
wow, that sucks...sorry to hear that. In MD the legal limit is 35%, but no one gets 35%. The norm here is 20%...and i've even seen 2% on the windshield lol

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
30 miles south of Duluth, I think the ticket said carlton

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry to hear of this situation. I've been pulled over twice for the front plate and have received warnings, which apparently proves how discretionary this "offense" is, or how bad a mood your trooper was in.

On I-35, I assume? Just wondering, as I occasionally have found my car on that road, with me driving it, and would hate to meet your trooper. Maybe Hwy 23 is a good alternate.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Mats,
That sucks!!

Must have been a slow day for the police if he busts you for those 2 trivial infractions.

I got pulled over a few weeks back for no front plate in Ohio. Got a lecture about the law requires a front plate, etc. Let me go with a verbal warning to take care of it. (Cold day in hell before that happens :thwack:)

Maybe it's time for you to come back to Ohio!! ;) :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I got pulled over last night for taking off to fast from a stop light. Cop didn't notice my front plate was off... and I got off with a warning cuz he couldn't clock me :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I-35 going North.

But on the bright side he did not get me for speeding :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is it a bad thing when I ask a local sheriff if he would radar my car because I think my speedo is slow (I'm constantly being tailgated) and he responds:

"I've heard that there is a Lotus in town. Someone ran your plates to find out where you live. All the guys have been watching for you." :huh:

I'm hoping that this is a good thing:rolleyes: Probably not though.

He was really nice and took the time to clock my car at 30, 50, and 70mph. My speedo is slow by 4mph.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I was pulled over for window tint twice in one week recently.
The car came, used, with 4% tint, except the windshield...

I finally had it replaced and made legal, the day after the 2nd ticket. The limit in CO is 27% btw, and if you have less than 27% on the rear, then you have to have >70% on the side windows.

My tickets were a "fixit" and the other was $100 + 2 points, reduced to $50 and 0 points since I got it fixed before the court dates.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
My tickets were a "fixit" and the other was $100 + 2 points, reduced to $50 and 0 points since I got it fixed before the court dates.
ehhh, how can you get points for a tint fixit ticket? in MD its a fixit ticket, and if you get pulled over within the week again you just show the cop your fixit ticket, done deal.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Do the tinting laws apply to where you are or where your car is registered? Can you get a ticket in another state if your state allows for a greater degree of tinting?

I assume that since PA does not have front license plates, I can't get a ticket in MD for not having one.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
ehhh, how can you get points for a tint fixit ticket? in MD its a fixit ticket, and if you get pulled over within the week again you just show the cop your fixit ticket, done deal.
I had two tickets. The first was a fixit.

The second was $100 fine and 2 points.

THe first was state patrol, based in Boulder, the second was Boulder Police. The first cop forgot to give me my registration back, and so I took the ticket into work to call him, in order to get my registration back. The second cop couldn't look up the first ticket since the two systems aren't linked, and I had left the 1st ticket at work, so he gave me a second ticket. He did say that if I had the first ticket to show him, then he wouldn't have given me the 2nd.

The DA's office actually said they could give me a ticket every day, or many times a day, if they wanted to. Even before the first court date.

Both court dates were in the same courthouse, two different court rooms (municipal & district) two different dates, couldn't combine them.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Do the tinting laws apply to where you are or where your car is registered? Can you get a ticket in another state if your state allows for a greater degree of tinting?

I assume that since PA does not have front license plates, I can't get a ticket in MD for not having one.
Yes, you can get a ticket even if your car comes from a state where that amount of tint is legal... Like from CO 27% going to MN 50%

1 - 19 of 19 Posts