The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Damn.. I has a sad..

With a little refurbishing the wheels should be ok.. maybe the engine block? Not much else left..

Going to go check my fuel lines now..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Est. Repair Cost: $11,909 :huh:
How in the world do they come up with numbers like this?

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Oh god, the smell, THE SMELL!! If you do choose to pick it up, you can tow it home with this.

Copart

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Est. Repair Cost: $11,909 :huh:
How in the world do they come up with numbers like this?
I think that is how much it would cost for towing and disposal fees.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Looks like the CAT might be OK is about it..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

A little polishing and it'll be as good as new :). :)

Alan

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,083 Posts
Don't you wish we could get the Reported Retail Value for our cars????:DV:

·
Registered
576 Posts
On a more serious note, all of our cars seem to be at a much higher risk of fire than any other car I'm familiar with. And there is not a clear idea of where the fires are starting, but it seems to be in the engine bay most of the time.

If the Esprit was a large run production car the whole lot of them would have been recalled.

We need to see if we can get more clues and hopefully do some preventive maintenance.

Randy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
On a more serious note, all of our cars seem to be at a much higher risk of fire than any other car I'm familiar with. And there is not a clear idea of where the fires are starting, but it seems to be in the engine bay most of the time.

If the Esprit was a large run production car the whole lot of them would have been recalled.

We need to see if we can get more clues and hopefully do some preventive maintenance.

Randy
Randy,
To the best of my knowledge most fires started out on the early S1 & S2 cars because of carb fuel keaks over the ignition distributor.

On the fuel injected cars it was because of the cat core breaking down, causing heat build up from poor exhaust flow/heat removal.

Either case of the cause is the ultimate death of these cars. I do not run mine without a fire extinguisher. Lotus Dave's car just went up in value :rolleyes:

Robert

·
Registered
576 Posts
The resin burns leaving the glass behind.

As to the cat being the cause, sometimes yes, but this car has an intact cat.
We also bought a burned S4s motor that had a fire on top, not from the cat.

So I think some part of the fuel system is suspect.

Randy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts