The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my 2011 S at the beginning of the year and began looking at 2017-2018 Audi R8 V10+ and McLaren 570GTs. After a few months of searching it was getting a bit frustrating that I just couldn't seem to find a convergence of the right price+spec that made me happy. While idly browsing, I saw my local dealer post up the new GTs they had just gotten in on a shipment. I had always loved nightfall blue on the Evora, and they happened to get that and a green.

I reached out just curious what they were doing for pricing and financing, not expecting to actually like the number I got.

Then, well, this happened.

So I guess you guys are stuck with me a little while longer.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
101 Posts
Congratulations! I’d be interested in your comparison to your prior 2011 s and your new car. Obviously the horsepower is better but I was wondering what you think about the interior. I got a 2011 this year and looking at the pictures of the gt I think I prefer the interior in mine. I also like having some visibility out the rear with glass rather than the carbon fiber hatch even though it looks cooler from outside. What do you think after owning both?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations! I’d be interested in your comparison to your prior 2011 s and your new car. Obviously the horsepower is better but I was wondering what you think about the interior. I got a 2011 this year and looking at the pictures of the gt I think I prefer the interior in mine. I also like having some visibility out the rear with glass rather than the carbon fiber hatch even though it looks cooler from outside. What do you think after owning both?
It's a surprisingly different car. The interior is really a complete overhaul. There is definitely no comparison from the S1. The layout is better, everything is more comfortable, the materials are all nicer. The one downside I would say that they could've done better is instead of replacing the brushed aluminum panels with painted plastic, they could've gone CF. It would've been worth it. Only thing that I would say is a downgrade. I'm a fan of alcantara/suedetex/whatever you care to call it, and I had the leather in my S1, so I can't really compare it to the suedetex S1 interior if that's what you have, but there's still more room and everything is more ergonomic.

The overall "fit and finish" .. hasn't improved all that much. Still a very rattle-y car. Service team isn't going to love me as I try to get them to resolve it. The door panels fit a little loose. The window glass is kinda loose. So the rattles opening/closing the door is almost just like the S1. The side mirrors are a bit sloppy just like the S1. I'm willing to bet the headlights are going to be a bit bouncy/sloppy like the S1 as well. The headlights come with PPF pre-applied to them. I guess that was the "fix" for the peeling clearcoat.

I don't have the carbon pack, so my GT has the standard glass rear and fiberglass roof. So rear visibility is no different - instead of seeing the chimney exhaust pipe and the engine cover and bar, you see the charge cooler top and the wastegate actuator arm. Otherwise the same.

Shifter - the stock S1 shifter is really garbage. I didn't think so when it was all I knew, but when I replaced it with the ShiftR Evora package, had to admit it to myself, it's transformative for the 2011/S1. The GT I believe has the same setup as the 400, and I would say it's 95% as good as the ShiftR - I think the ShifR (or maybe it's just the transcables) is still a little better. This GT shifter is still a tiny bit finicky on the 2-3 shift, sometimes 3 just isn't quite there.

That said, the car has 24 miles on it that I've put about 15 of those on in traffic, so these are all very early impressions.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving wise, I suspect it's identical to the 400 in normal driving, but I can't say for sure. I've only driven a 400 a couple of brief times as demos.

That said, compared to my 2011 S - there's a lot more low end torque, and it's noticable. The clutch seems to have less feel, but that may just be that it needs some miles. It kept the best parts, which is the steering feel and the suspension's "grace". My first test of it when I test drove it was to take it over some rough train crossings and nasty broken roads. It's just as smooth and nice as the S1 was. It still clears my driveway curb, which isn't easy for any sports car, so overall clearance must be pretty similar to the S1. It feels more planted in general - that may just be the absolutely giant cup 2 tires. The S1 would feel darty/jittery at highway speed. Not in a bad way, but in the way you knew you could make the car go the wrong way around real easily if you desired/messed up. That feeling is gone, just feels pretty solidly grounded.

That's all I've got for you right now, not enough time behind the wheel to say more.

Oh, that's a lie - the exhaust sounds fantastic. With the valves closed it's quiet - super quiet, like don't really like it quiet. Valves open it sounds so nice. It's not really loud, it's just pleasant.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Congrats! My local dealership had a nightfall blue GT and looked amazing in that color!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, one other thing I didn't mention. I'm 6'1 - 6'2, and I have to move the seat pretty far up, or I can't fully depress the clutch. I actually didn't expect this to be any different than the S1, but it seems like it is. As a result, I think the rear seat room is slightly more practical/usable. That's not saying a whole lot, but, it was something that surprised me.

The CF sill panels and instrument cluster cover are a bit unnecessary. They could've just carried the fabrics there and used that CF for the aforementioned plastic panels. Nice bit of bling though as they're definitely high visibility areas.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Congrats on the new car! And welcome back even though you never really left 😜

Looking forward to your continued guidance on LT! Your an asset here for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Oh, one other thing I didn't mention. I'm 6'1 - 6'2, and I have to move the seat pretty far up, or I can't fully depress the clutch. I actually didn't expect this to be any different than the S1, but it seems like it is. As a result, I think the rear seat room is slightly more practical/usable. That's not saying a whole lot, but, it was something that surprised me.

The CF sill panels and instrument cluster cover are a bit unnecessary. They could've just carried the fabrics there and used that CF for the aforementioned plastic panels. Nice bit of bling though as they're definitely high visibility areas.
The seat bottoms are higher starting with the 400. That might contribute to the need to have the seat further forward. It was mentioned at the time the 400 was introduced, along with the lower side sill and wider pedal box area. I still notice it 2 years later.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
She's a beauty! It is a evolution no doubt. MY suedetex seats have worn like iron and were MUCH better than the full leather in my 2010LE car. I think i had the updatged shifter. It has only become notchy since last fall. 99% certain its the failing motor mounts. I await your thoughts. I almost pulled the trigger on a Guilia quad but the 3800 lbs got to me! I really am a Lotus guy!
Will be interesting to see if you think a 2020 GT is worth the premium over a 'new" loaded 2018 that listed for 118K if I could get it for ~80-85K. Torn on this one.

Reactions: esseye

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2012+ updated shifter is definitely different than the 400 updated shifter, which I assume is the same as the GT. The 2012 updated one from my brief experience is "passable" where the 400+ is "nice". I would still say the ShiftR is an upgrade, but not one worth the money on the 400+.

To the difference between the GT and the 400. I don't think I see a benefit. I think you could have spec'd a 400 to be nearly identical save the rear bumper and the front wheel louvers. There's probably subtle other differences, but it's hard to see - I think the extra 20k in your pocket would be the better choice.

One of my key factors in this was I wanted to give Lotus a fair shake with a fully warrantied vehicle from the go - so that would be a question on the 2018 400. If the spec was basically the same, and the warranty was as-new... Man that'd be a tough call.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Esp if you could reposition the rear backup lights and simply open those areas as on the GT. The A panels? , I think, are gonna be a sand blasted mess in short order or you will be replacing protection on a routine basis.
Those are definitely the seats I like!! Well done sir.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Esp if you could reposition the rear backup lights and simply open those areas as on the GT. The A panels? , I think, are gonna be a sand blasted mess in short order or you will be replacing protection on a routine basis.
Those are definitely the seats I like!! Well done sir.
One thing I don't know if others have mentioned - it's not just the rear vents and the new A panels, but the front louvers are also gravel machine guns. Shoots out the top and collects in the vents.

Normal road gravel/etc does no harm to PPF though, so as long as it's thick enough and applied in the right areas, pretty sure it'll handle the gravel/rocks for its whole lifespan. It's incredibly abrasion resistant stuff. The Lotus Guard does appear to be applied well as far as I can see, though I don't believe the rear vents are covered, so that's one of the first things to do I suspect.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Really? Had no ideaabout those louver. Would love to see a pics as to how they redid the wheel well liners someday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts