The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Blackwatch Racing himself took to North Weald Airfield, home of the 1st Lotus Driver School to hoon around in my little beast today.....the boy did good apart from taking one of the large cones for a walk with the wing mirror.....
the marks will rub out...
..but he did spin...quite a few times........

I'll get him to upload the photos toward the end of the week...

Pat

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the post.

For those of you that don't know, he's talking about Robert Puertas who's in the UK right now.

Pat, wouldn't happen to know if he's doing a factory tour? Be interesting to see what he can see as far as US cars!

Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zvezdah1 said:
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the post.

For those of you that don't know, he's talking about Rober tPuertas who's in the UK right now.

Pat, wouldn't happen to know if he's doing a factory tour? Be interesting to see what he can see as far as US cars!

Chris
Chris

Next Tuesday IIRC. Hoping to get him out in the Exige, I guess you have heard about BBC's Top Gears feature on the car?

Pat

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Felix7 said:
Mr Blackwatch Racing himself took to North Weald Airfield, home of the 1st Lotus Driver School to hoon around in my little beast today.....the boy did good apart from taking one of the large cones for a walk with the wing mirror.....

..but he did spin...quite a few times........

I'll get him to upload the photos toward the end of the week...

Pat
Can't wait to see the pics! :clap:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Felix7 said:
.....the boy did good apart from taking one of the large cones for a walk with the wing mirror.....
Autocrossitis. Common affliction for avid autocrossers. You get used to being right up against cones and here they are not that high.

I have lost two mirrors in the last 6 years from hitting things. I knew I was an inch from that parked car. Forgot about my mirror. :)

Tell Robert to get all the spinning out of his system in case he is going to drive my car this summer while he waits for his.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm sure a lot has to do with the RHD car. When I drove in England, it was really difficult for me to get used to the dimensions of the vehicle when sitting on the other side. You expect there to be a lot less car to the left, and a lot more car to the right, and its hard to change that perception after so many years driving on the left side of a car. I know that my left mirror had some near misses with stationary objects in the rental I was driving.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
...it was really difficult for me to get used to the dimensions of the vehicle when sitting on the other side. You expect there to be a lot less car to the left, and a lot more car to the right, ....
Same for me. The left handed shifting also took some getting used to.

Hopefully Robert will see plenty of fed cars running down the line. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Well he didn't bend it....

Modern Wedgie said:
Can't wait to see the pics! :clap:
...oh he did that alright!!!! I didn't like my tyres anyway:(

..it was a great day, we had the Lotus 11 down as well which has rather an interesting history of how it came about.

Anyone on here work for a TV programme distribution company? this relates to the Lotus 11.

Should get him out in an Exige S2 with a bit of luck next week....

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Damn. I want to be Robert. :(

:jealous:

:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Nah, it's not a diesel...

Anyway, Pat's Elise is amazing, and German keyboards are annoying, so forgive me if a few major typo's appear...

I don't have much time at the moment, but I can assure you all we're in for a real treat when our cars finally arrive. The steering is nearly telepathic. Pat's car has upwards of 225hp and loads of torque. It's also got Nitrons which are supposedly stiffer than stock, but not at all objectionable. I probably logged upwards of 7 hours of seat time in it over two days, including sideways at North Weald, English B-roads, motorways and even central London. The car was excedeingly well behaved and I never got titred or sore from driving it.
I also did a couple of laps in Simon Cullen's stock S1 and found it quite easy to ring out compared to Pat's highly modified monster. Though obviously no where near as quick.

Andy Walsh of 1st Lotus has agreed to come over in the winter and do some Elise driver training. I'll keep you all posted on that one. He's a genuine talent, and probably has more Elise track time under his belt than any one else on the planet. You probably all would know his name, except that he had a rather bad F1 testing accident ( the rear wing came off at speed) while competing for a seat at Benetton with some guy named Michael Schumacher. Yeah, he's that good.

More later, I'll be at the factory next week, and meeting with more suppliers while I figure out what you all need to make your cars faster...

Robert

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't have much time at the moment, but I can assure you all we're in for a real treat when our cars finally arrive. The steering is nearly telepathic. IT'S POSITIVELY MENTAL!
Fixed the above quote.

Robert, check out the comments in the Members Forum, note the point about classing in SCCA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Robert Puertas said:
Nah, it's not a diesel...

Anyway, Pat's Elise is amazing, and German keyboards are annoying, so forgive me if a few major typo's appear...

I don't have much time at the moment, but I can assure you all we're in for a real treat when our cars finally arrive. The steering is nearly telepathic. Pat's car has upwards of 225hp and loads of torque. It's also got Nitrons which are supposedly stiffer than stock, but not at all objectionable. I probably logged upwards of 7 hours of seat time in it over two days, including sideways at North Weald, English B-roads, motorways and even central London. The car was excedeingly well behaved and I never got titred or sore from driving it.
I also did a couple of laps in Simon Cullen's stock S1 and found it quite easy to ring out compared to Pat's highly modified monster. Though obviously no where near as quick.

Andy Walsh of 1st Lotus has agreed to come over in the winter and do some Elise driver training. I'll keep you all posted on that one. He's a genuine talent, and probably has more Elise track time under his belt than any one else on the planet. You probably all would know his name, except that he had a rather bad F1 testing accident ( the rear wing came off at speed) while competing for a seat at Benetton with some guy named Michael Schumacher. Yeah, he's that good.

More later, I'll be at the factory next week, and meeting with more suppliers while I figure out what you all need to make your cars faster...

Robert
Your very kind sir...and I could have sworn you said diesel......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts