The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today is Illinois to Columbus Ohio - 5 1/2 hours. Yesterday was great because I could test the capability of the REV - without worrying about getting thrown in the slammer. Kansas/Missouri - they say "the boy's got a supercharger, he needs to test it, we understand". Not so in Ohio. They say "the boy's got a supercharger, he needs to go see the judge." (With age , comes experience.) So today, we stay out of the gas, 3500 RPM in 6th gear, 28 mpg on a 2004/2005. Not quite as exciting as yesterday ( a bit surreal yesterday :)), so we'll "just get there". Hopefully. The weather was perfect coming west last week, top off, sun shining. The weather heading east sucks this week, top up, rain. The new Bosch icon wiper has been flawless, and I also rain x'd all the windows before I departed NH on the 14th. So visibility out the front & sides & rear w/ac is perfect. Looking good as I leave this morning from Effingham, Illinois. Just want to keep finding the good name brand 91/93 octane.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In Columbus Ohio- great drive - car is sweet. It was a "top off " day. No tickets, no jail time. Sort of have the new torque/power figured out. Absolutely can pass anyone at will. For a well behaved street car, it's game over. At least for me.(My definition of street car means a cat, sport cat is ok, but has to have a cat). The spinning sound from the intercooler fans winding up after engine shutoff is too cool. What a machine. A real proper car now. Tomorrow is Ohio to Pennsylvania. Signing off.

PS - yesterday, an 18 wheeler ahead of me and one lane over lost a mud flap. As we all know, those mudflaps are about the size of our front clams, and weigh alot more. I just barely managed to avoid it as it came flying at me. It would have been bad.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are the intercooler fans wired to run continuously? or are they IAT or boost dependent?
It's not just the fans - the coolant pump/swirl pot are active any time fans are on or the ignition is on..

turn on the ignition- they are on always. Start the car, run the car - they run. Turn off the car they stop - for 1 second, then start again to check to see if the engine temp is low enough, cool enough. If the engine is cool - which is usually the case, the fans and the pumps switch off. If the engine is hot, from being run hard, the fans/pump/swirl pot will run for a while until things cool down. Everytime you turn off the car however, after approx 1 second, the fans come on for about 3 seconds, then shut down because the engine temp is fine. Its just fun to pull in , park, shut down, and then have those fans come on for 3 seconds. People look over. The car is just too cool now. Love it.

The above was Edited for accuracy - the ECU tells the IC pump /fans if the car is hot, there is no signal out from the IC .

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am glad everything is working out for you! Can you believe that you went without a supercharger before? It is like night and day. I love mine!
Well I bought the car last June, and called BOE last November.. so I waited/ drove the n/a car...hmmmm....6 months before setting up the appointment with Phil & Andrew. I had to wait 5+ months for their schedule to clear. So total is way less than a year from purchase, to install..like you - glad it's in. It's a whole 'nuther beast.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
End of Day three, made it to Dubois , PA. Car is flawless. It's so hard to stay out of the gas though. Oh well.
Gotta pull the tape (Hampton Inn is gonna love that) hit a car wash, retape for CT tomorrow, RI the day After, and finally home to NH Friday, where my cat is waiting to sleep on the heated rear deck lid. It's even more heated now because of the REV in there, but the after cooler fans might scare her off. Here kitty kitty....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Come on, I am trying to save some money.

If you keep telling me how much better FI is than NA... This does not help!

Lie to me. Tell me that your gas mileage is something like .0000000006 miles per gal or the flame that shoots out of the exhaust has started three forest fires or that the hole you had to cut in the firewall so the supercharger could be bolted onto the motor is really inconvenient.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you keep it below 3500 RPM, the mileage is untouched. Phil tunes the car so the sc kicks in @ 3500 - if you cruise on the highway @ 3500 - as you know you are travelling at 74mph? Need to pass some one at 85 mph? down shift into 4th or 5th, and go for it. Pass anything at anytime with the 400. That's with a stock cat! Unbelievable. I figure 0-60 is mid 3's now.
If you are in the gas all the time, winding it out with the sc screaming - sure - you are going to take a hit - those 750cc injectors ( i think that's what they are) can suck some fuel. On the track - 10 MPG Phil says. And you gotta run 100 octane on the track for obvious reasons. Still - 93/91 octane on the street suffices (I lean towards 93 if I can find it) So you get to choose. "Economy Mode" below 3500 RPM, or "bye bye everyone! mode". It's joyous. I'm loving it.

And I cheated - Phil cut the hole in the firewall for me & installed it. It's true that a big part of the sc DOES reside in the passenger seat, but you don't get something for nothing...:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
And while I don't like the way that he re-purposed the floor pan into an oil sump for cooling, the performance of the kit is everything that komiko says it is, and there is room for some extra oomph with a smaller pulley and a tweaked tune. Nothing like watching a guy in a Viper rocking the steering wheel to try and catch up as you walk away.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
your car has 750ccs?!

I believe that is what Andrew said, yes - injectors are somewhere in the 700's. Pretty sure they are 750's. You still get 30 mpg (or whatever you normally get) if you keep it under 3500 RPM, You gotta try this. Don't get me wrong - the N/A car is great - i liked it alot. But it was very frustrating on the street having people shove me around during tourist season. Now it's a choice. My choice.

And just a reminder - 335HP at the crank, 292 whp on the dyno, stock motor, stock tranny, and the OEM mani & cat.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's not just the fans - the coolant pump/swirl pot are active any time fans are on or the ignition is on..

turn on the ignition- they are on always. Start the car, run the car - they run. Turn off the car they stop - for 1 second, then start again to check to see if the intercooler core temp is low enough, cool enough. If the core is cool - which is usually the case, the fans and the pumps switch off. If the intercooler is hot, from being run hard, the fans/pump/swirl pot will run for a while until things cool down. Everytime you turn off the car however, after approx 1 second, the fans come on for about 5 seconds, then shut down because the intercooler temp is fine. Its just fun to pull in , park, shut down, and then have those fans come on for 5 seconds. People look over. The car is just too cool now. Love it.
Small clarification here. I'm about 99% sure the kit knows nothing about intercooler temps, heat exchanger temps or anything of the sort.

It is designed to run continuously when the car is on. According to the instructions BOE recommends tapping the trigger wire for the fans/pump to a ignition switched 12v source and they recommend a "small purge valve on top of the stock air-box".

your car has 750ccs?!
750cc is a good size for a supercharged 4-cylinder capable of providing enough air charge for over 400bhp. In this case komiko isn't running them near their limits but in general if the ECU (and tuner) are capable of controlling large injectors well at idle and cruising then it doesn't hurt to run large injectors. It gives you room to grow.

Hell I run 1300cc in my car... of course some of that is attributed to the desire to run E85, but you get the point. E85 + 400whp = lots of fuel injector required.

·
shay2nak
25,000 Posts
I believe that is what Andrew said, yes - injectors are somewhere in the 700's. Pretty sure they are 750's. You still get 30 mpg (or whatever you normally get) if you keep it under 3500 RPM, You gotta try this. Don't get me wrong - the N/A car is great - i liked it alot. But it was very frustrating on the street having people shove me around during tourist season. Now it's a choice. My choice.

And just a reminder - 335HP at the crank, 292 whp on the dyno, stock motor, stock tranny, and the OEM mani & cat.
yeah, that's pretty good. Enjoy it. :)

what clutch & flywheel are you using? (not sure if I asked before)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yeah, that's pretty good. Enjoy it. :)

what clutch & flywheel are you using? (not sure if I asked before)
You asked :) - Stock Flywheel, ACT Clutch - not sure which model, but I will soon (cause the box is getting shiped to NH w/my old one in it.)

(edit: clutch is ACT HDSS)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small clarification here. I'm about 99% sure the kit knows nothing about intercooler temps, heat exchanger temps or anything of the sort.

Hey - I think you are wrong! Today my fans ran for 5 minutes after i shut down the car, the ignition off, coolant was circulating through the core - was hotter than heck out. Normally, they shut off when the car goes off. Today - 5 minute cool down after parking.... Phil - You out there?

·
Registered
309 Posts
While there is no temp sensor on the IC, temp is used to determine how long to run the IC fans after shutdown. I went through this last year, the install instructions said that the fans run while the car is on, and off when the car is off other than that blip of a few seconds. As it got into the summer I noticed that I would park and my IC fans would stay on for a while, 5~10 min. So I contacted Phil and he said that was normal, and that temp is used to run the fans longer after shutdown if it is hot.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While there is no temp sensor on the IC, temp is used to determine how long to run the IC fans after shutdown. I went through this last year, the install instructions said that the fans run while the car is on, and off when the car is off other than that blip of a few seconds. As it got into the summer I noticed that I would park and my IC fans would stay on for a while, 5~10 min. So I contacted Phil and he said that was normal, and that temp is used to run the fans longer after shutdown if it is hot.
Yup - he said something like that last Saturday when I picked up my...space shuttle. Also - just to state the obvious, whenever the fans are on, the coolant is circulating /pump is on. I know 'cause Phil turned on my ignition, fans came on, and he unscrewed the swirlpot /resevoir lid, and it was doing it's litlle baby whirlpool thing. Too cool!

·
Registered
309 Posts
What exhaust are you running? I have the ceramic coated PPE with the U turn and a Von Hepp muffler, I highly recommend the combo as the power increase is substantial and the sound is maniacal.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cool. I was originally considering Tubular because I had heard alot of good reviews, but could not get through to the guy and was getting frutrated. It got to the point where I just wanted a decent exhaust, available NOW!!., I knew Phil had some catbacks, and the car was going there anyway - so I got a silent touch.
It's a street car running stock manifold, stock cat converter, and the BOE ST. Sounds so great for "stock" (well, 2/3 of it anyway)- hard to believe 292 hp through a cat for crying out loud. Tomorrow I'm going to try harder to stay out of the gas...sure...:) Gotta make it to Connecticut.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts