1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys: had been looking hard at getting
An evora, but in the end I decided I wanted
A convertible and something with more power. Also I'm
Alittle too far from a lotus dealer for my comfort.
And frankly, as much as I liked the test drive, I thought
It wasn't a great value proposition, new or even used,

I test drove a boxster s and it was pretty
Fun, about the same power feel as an evora s.
also test drove a 997.1 turbo. Very quick.
After the fear subsided, I laughed out loud because of the power, but
It was alittle too refined for me: too modern and too many
Buttons, not a pure enough sports car.
Then I drove a 996 turbo s, and that that was hauntingly
Good for me. Much more raw that the 997,
Much better feel through the steering wheel
And on the butt.
But they are alittle boring looking stock. Too rounded, like a VW or Audi Tt.
Saw something on eBay which I thought was a deal,
04 turbo cab with a full gt2 body kit, which
Makes it look more menacing and less like VW.
Also had a fully built engine, putting it beyond
Mcclaren and zr1 performance level, aftermarket Bluetooth
Stereo and other stuff, all for less than most used
Evoras, and I got a 3 year power train warranty.

Drove it from Vegas to NorCal over the weekend mostly with the top down. It's a monster. exhaust is quiet until the turbo's kick in and at around .3 bars, then
It's like a jet engine, scary loud and you just have to
Hold on for dear life. Never felt that kind of acceleration, and I was too afraid to floor it. Going to get some training in the car because it's so far above my capabilities.
Anyway different strokes for different folks, thanks for all
The sage advise from you all; great group of enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have some friends that picked up a new to them, Seal Gray, 997 cap with the X50 option. The car is amazing.

With that car I would go from 0 to loose my license in under 10 seconds.

This is redundant, but...

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet ride RicK. What year is it?
04, first of two years for 996 turbo cabs. The 05's are 5 to 10 k more. I think the 04 t cab is the best bang for the buck now for Porsche; 996,s are unloved and prices have gone to hell but more and more people in the know are starting to appreciate them, raw, pure sports car, not as unusable as a 993 or soft and gt like as a 997, and 25k cheaper than the 997 and maybe 30k plus cheaper than the much loved 993 turbo. I'm thinking it will hold it's value but we'll see. Don't plan on selling it because it's so unique and fun with all the aftermarket stuff

·
Registered
858 Posts
Very seriously considered picking up a 996 TT when the recession hit a few years ago and the cars were going for peanuts. Wonderful cars that are performance bargains. Only thing to watch for as I recall are either the oil or coolant lines (can't remember which) but hopefully those were replaced during the engine build. Get on Rennlist and/or 6speed if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
So you're comparing a 10 year old car to a new Evora? One has full warranty, the other all the usual aging issues.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Enjoy---> but I'm NOT jealous.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
It's a great car and you will love it. I let go of my Porsche AWD cabriolet (996) to get the Evora last month as I needed a change and TBH, in Fairfield County, CT you can't drive 100 feet without seeing another Porsche but it is truly a great great car. Have fun with it.

As for me, I absolutely love the Evora. The handling is, IMO, better than what I had with the 911 but my 911 was 11 years old where the Evora is brand new. I also love the exotic feeling of the Evora.

Cheers and enjoy the ride - better invest in a high end laser/radar system :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you're comparing a 10 year old car to a new Evora? One has full warranty, the other all the usual aging issues.
Might be a different calculation if I needed a commenting car or was going to put 10k miles a year on it, but I work from home mostly, have a newish hybrid SUV
And a couple classics. Was looking for something fun and thrilling.

Also, from this forum it seems like some of the brand new cars have a lot of little
Issues, not drive train related. Some seem to have somewhat frequent trips to dealers for warranty work, which all seem to think is worth it. So my sense was that it wasn't like it's a Lexus in terms (other than the engine)
In terms of build quality/reliability, at least from what I gather from posts here.
So a hopefully well sorted out car in immaculate shape that will be driven less than 3k miles a year with a 3 year power train warranty I would consider like a new evora or surely a 3 year old one out of warranty

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Definitely will thrill the sh!!! out of you! Drop the top, Get it, sit down, strap in , shut up!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Nice car
The most important thing is you found the car you wanted and that is never a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Ok I get it, we all want what we want and you just know it when its right. Wish this guy the best , great looking car and if he is into it right then good for him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, some more than others. Was looking getting one myself till my wife suggested I look at a Lotus. I then found religion at the alter of Sir Chapman.

With that said, this guy dropped $50k on a 10 yr old car that has been wrenched on pretty extensively. If that is what you want then thats fine. I just do not see how that can be compared to a new or almost new Evora . Its 2 different things all together.

Now for the guy trying the sell the '96 Porsche on the LT site (with his 8 posts). Really $80k for a 20 yr old car . Maybe I just dont get it but I would think the guys on this site would much rather drop that cash on a late model GT-R. That way when you show at your local CnC everyone walks past the 35 Porsches to bow down and pay hommage to your car. IMO

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It doesn't have to compare. It's want he wanted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts