The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
This is something anyone with the 'need for speed' MUST TRY if you never have. Tracks usually have 'HPDE' type events for Karts, where they give you all the equipment (or bring what you have), they put you in a kart.. and off you go. My wife (in the kart in front of me in this pic) and I did this a few years ago, it was a BLAST for both of us!! The g-forces are incredible, I had to actually time my breathing when cornering.

If you have not yet, GO DO IT!!

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
I wish the karts were faster and I wish I didn't have to race with so many noobs.
The time I got to go, There were 2-3 on the track at the same time and the carts went 70mph! :eek: That was plenty fast for a 1st timer going into a banked corner. It held but it took some guts as my instinct was that the kart was going to fly off the end and jump like the Dukes of Hazzard! rotfl

I guess it would have been a pita if there were more on the track.. or if the track was smaller etc.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
70??? Where was that? Our karts in all the places I've been to top out around 35 and you can't even hit that speed. And with all the noobs and accidents I've witnessed and been a part of (exarkun1178 t-boning me at full speed around a downhill righthander...intentionally), I can't imagine 70mph.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
70??? Where was that? Our karts in all the places I've been to top out around 35 and you can't even hit that speed. And with all the noobs and accidents I've witnessed and been a part of (exarkun1178 t-boning me at full speed around a downhill righthander...intentionally), I can't imagine 70mph.
It looks like he's on an actual track with actual karts. The indoor karting places (GPNY, K1, etc.) top out at 40 or so and have big bumpers around the kart for safety reasons.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, where?? :confused:

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
It looks like he's on an actual track with actual karts.
Exactly, here is a vid from the track I visited

Kart race
(not my video)

You will see the straight down the 'back' of the track, followed by slightly banked left turn.

As Brennon was saying, this ain't no Putt-Putt or Gooney-Golf go-karts!! :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey BM,

You can take a kart racing class here:

www.ovrp.com

I believe it isn't that far away from you. I haven't been there yet but am in the process of setting up a 1 day class for a couple of my friends sometime early October. They have 13hp Honda karts that the CLAIM can hit 60mph. I think it is something like $390 for the day.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
BM, there is tons of real karting action @ limerock.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
A buddy and I hit our local outdoor track once or twice a week instead of eating lunch. It's a 0.8 mile course with a long slightly downhill straight where everyone routinely hits 70mph.

If it's a particularly stressful workday, one of us will send the other an e-mail: "The track?" Three sessions can give the upper body quite a workout.

If you're a regular, look into a membership at your track. You can save quite a bit of money.

Because karts are so light and your body position plays such an important role in driving dynamics, some of what you learn in karting really isn't transferrable to cars, but learning a track's line and learning to carry your momentum sure come in handy, as well as track etiquette.

Give high-speed karting a try! It's a blast.

Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did an advanced Sprint Kart class at Infineon Raceway. My 5th class in the past 3months and am heading back for a lapping day later this month. Great practice for the big track. It is a fantastic way to work on racing skills, caring more speed, etc. It is alot more work than driving the lotus on a track.

I have only driven spring racing karts, which hit about 70-80 mph down a long straight away. Shifter karts is an entirely different subject. Top speed on a big tract is well over 100 mph and they go from 0-60 in 3 seconds. Just amazing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Take the shifter kart class at Bondurant in Arizona if you're
able to.

An exceptional experience. After just a few minutes in some
"lesser" karts for practice they unleash you in the shifter karts.

The shifter karts are just unreal. You can't shift quick enuf
basically!

Karting is definitely a total blast if you never done it, or done it a million times.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Do any of you have rib protectors? Crap I have bruises on both sides of my ribs.
I found I was more sore with rib protection. What seats are they using? Why is it that most karting seats require rib protection. You would think they would redesign them so they don't. Like I said, personally I don't use it...but why is it that lots of people do require it. I'm confused...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts