The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a new guy here. I am the Wes Gustafson that owned the lotus 23 in your film by George Lucas with Pete Brock. I noticed several posts that said the car seemed slow? Granted we were running very narrow tires in those days but the real reason was -- I gave Geo STRICT orders to hold the R.P.M s to 7000 as you can see in the film. I had made changes to the car that made it possible to use 9000 as a red line and I assure you it wasn't slow. Hence the 1967 San Francisco Regional Championship Etc Etc. I had installed a dry sump system, Cog belts for the water pump, ran a special hollow crankshaft,ran without a generator, and had an incredible camshaft from Ed Isconderion. Sorry Ed, I forgot how to spell your last name. Of all the cars and motorcycles I raced, the 23 was the greatest thrill. Also I still have my FIA license from 1964.
Happy 2014 to all the lotus lovers and Nick Adams at Lotus

happy

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Very cool!
Welcome!
Post some current photos...especially the mods you did. I'm a technical kind of guy and like to see what people are doing.

BTW, I've heard about the 7,000-RPM limit someplace else.... 1:42.08 I think...

Willow Springs was my home track...

Happy New Year to you too!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
greetings and welcome!!

the 23 is one of my dream cars to own and race. i have raced against quite a few on those random times when they mix open wheel with sports racers (i run one of the first american made formula fords, a Zink Z10) and i know the twin cam powered ginetta that has an undisclosed amount of insane HP here in san deigo.

and i know the blue v8 19 that you may know of as well.

Cheers,

-Rod

1 - 3 of 3 Posts