The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Toyo R888 tires on my Elise for track use which is the primary use of the car.
They are working great.....in dry weather. Driving to the track with any standing water on the road is down right scary. Hydroplane the entire time.

What is anyone else using for rainy track days and/or road travel in wet weather. Tire Rack only seems to show Yokohama performance tires which may be fine.

Comments??

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Which Yokos?

I'm running 205/45-16 & 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE11s.
SSRs 16x6.6 & 17x7.5.

Brilliant in rain, but have not run 10/10ths on a track yet. (At 8/10th, feel OK.)

They did finish 1st in a TR test.

I don't believe the new model of this tire is as good, but TR will fill you in.

(A048s cause me to hydroplane all the way from Boston to NJ....where I became the slowest vehicle on the highway....)

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
This is from Tire Rack:

"The Proxes R888 is Toyo’s Racetrack & Autocross Only tire for driving enthusiasts participating in road racing, track days and high-performance driving schools. The Proxes R888’s advancements in casing and tread design improve dry performance while maintaining wet traction and control.

While Proxes R888 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions when shaved or worn where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions."

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
good point.

A048s were fine on wet pavement, but terrible in standing water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The Yokos were ADVAN Neova AD07

I would be thrilled with 8/10ths. Besides a spin on the track I did not trust them to get past half speed on turns. Part of that is me but the hydroplaning was unmanageable.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
is it ok if I ask a question, or am stealing post, need rears on 05 elise,just looked at tire rack, have AD07 front & rear, fronts are fine, can I run AD08r on rears with AD07 on front, since I don't race just drive spiritedly,--- asking because tire rack $ are 269 for AD07 & 177 for AD08r -- toyo r888 were bout 210--- thanks [base car]

·
Registered
945 Posts
Toyo R1R. Not available in stock 195/50 but are available in 205/45 for the front. Good pattern that cuts through standing water, while maintaining most of the dry grip of the R888.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
This is from Tire Rack:

"The Proxes R888 is Toyo’s Racetrack & Autocross Only tire for driving enthusiasts participating in road racing, track days and high-performance driving schools. The Proxes R888’s advancements in casing and tread design improve dry performance while maintaining wet traction and control.

While Proxes R888 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions when shaved or worn where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions."
I've always thought most ppl get in the most trouble in the wet, performance cars or normal.

Thanks. The Yokos were ADVAN Neova AD07

I would be thrilled with 8/10ths. Besides a spin on the track I did not trust them to get past half speed on turns. Part of that is me but the hydroplaning was unmanageable.
I may have been unclear. 8/10 in the dry.

While I have driven in heavy rain at 100+, wasn't cornering hard.

It seems TR has not tested the AD07s.

Don't know where you live, but these require storing in warmish temperatures in winter.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
is it ok if I ask a question, or am stealing post, need rears on 05 elise,just looked at tire rack, have AD07 front & rear, fronts are fine, can I run AD08r on rears with AD07 on front, since I don't race just drive spiritedly,--- asking because tire rack $ are 269 for AD07 & 177 for AD08r -- toyo r888 were bout 210--- thanks [base car]
Many opinions on this.

I do not recommend different tires axle to axle. Tires grip at different slip angles, even those by same mfgr.

If you go this route, I'd say find out right away how car reacts in extreme or emergency situations....just so you're not surprised.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I second the motion for the R1R tires in the wet, you might think you are still in the dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always thought most ppl get in the most trouble in the wet, performance cars or normal.

I may have been unclear. 8/10 in the dry.

While I have driven in heavy rain at 100+, wasn't cornering hard.

It seems TR has not tested the AD07s.

Don't know where you live, but these require storing in warmish temperatures in winter.

OK thanks. I was hitting the same speed on straights with the R888's but only when the track was simply just wet but not raining. Im upstate (NY) but keep my stuff in a heated garage. I plan to call TR and some other suppliers to see what I can get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use R888's in the dry and wet as well. If you leave your suspension at the stiffest, they can be difficult in the wet. I set my Nitron singles to my street settings (10 front, 11 rear), and then work on finding where I lose traction in the turns (and work around that point). That can be a lot of fun.

Bill in MD

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just did a HPDE weekend in the rain. I had RE11s on the car and it was very slick to me compared to other tires I've used. They are getting old though, so that could be part of it. I really couldn't put any power down until the car was dead straight and I'm stock NA. I did one 360 and about four or five times could barely recover a near spin.

One guy in an M3 was on Hoosier wets and was driving like it was dry pavement. He pretty much lapped me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I usually leave my stock wheels/tires on the car when it is cold or wet at the track. Definitely does not compare to the slicks, but I still am perfectly happy with the AD07s. Not sure if they are the fastest wet tire you could get, but they work well for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
R1Rs are absurd in the wet, at least full tread.

Downside, full tread R1Rs in the DRY...eh. Not fantastic. Not BAD, but there's a lot of squirm going on.

Iain

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like every date I've ever had...
bahahaha excellent.

Came back to edit - for street use, I love full tread R1Rs. Autocross/track stuff, they are good when brand new/full tread, then keep getting better.

Street tires, though, R1Rs do everything very well, IMHO.

Iain

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
I got pretty tired carrying the A048s into the basement. Would have to do same with R1Rs in winter.

But, will consider them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I noticed nobody mentioned Hankook RS3's. Can anyone chime in on these whether used on an Exlige or a different car. Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Continental DW's are an autocrosser's favorite for good wet traction. I have conti DWS's (4 season) on my Subaru for road tires and I am thoroughly impressed. Dw's are way stickier. Or Hoosier wets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts