The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I’ve changed my oil a few times now since I got my Elise (a year and a half now!! Wow that was way too fast!) and done it quite successfully. But today there was a hydraulic jack failure where my baby came crashing down stuck to the “diffuser” shield as I was repositioning the jacks. Hydraulic fluid everywhere. Thank goodness I didn’t destroy anything underneath!!! Not happy but I still have my pretty face! Ha!!!

Now I have to go look for a replacement shield. Does anyone know where I can get one? I don’t even know what it’s called. Is it for aerodynamic or a shield?

I banged the metal back and stuck it back on until I can get a-replacement. Like you all said maybe it’s time I get some rhino ramps or a larger house with a four post life! Thanks everyone for the well wishes and reminders!!

NEW EDIT:
Question what is everyone using to lift their Elise? Are you removing all of the panels to lift for the oil change? Are you still using a hydraulic jack?

Thanks everyone!!!

Automotive lighting Car Grille Hood Automotive tire
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grey

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Mai Mai,

Ouch, I'm glad your ok and that you don't have more damages than the diffuser! It could have been much worst!

I don’t even know what it’s called. Is it for aerodynamic or a shield?
It's called the diffuser. More an aerodynamic part, but it does protect the engine. If you do more repair yourself, you will need the Elise and Exige Parts Manual Updated 2017, page 68. You can get the reference number too if you need to order a new part, but I think you will find an used part easely.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Sorry to hear of the failure. But, glad to hear it was only damage to a replaceable part and no one was hurt.

If you are just doing an oil change and wheels are staying on, could you use ramps to avoid this in the future? Or, if you do not have ramps or room to store them, you could use a jack to lift the car and then place stacked boards (cut down) under the wheels as a back up measure.

Hiope you get it fixed up quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
She will maybe tell us how this happend, but I guess the design of the "Nifty Lifty" and the hydraulic failure lead to this.

Others members had already concerns about using this adapter.

Lifting the Elise today to swap tires.

I bought the Nifty Lifty to make removal of all 4 wheels easier, but now that I'm using it, it feels super sketchy.

Lifting points "D", where you place the tool, are at an angle. This creates a shearing force on the rubber bumpers when you raise the car. With the full weight on there, the rubber looks like it's ready to rip right off. If that happened, the bar could easily slip and smash up the bottom of the car.

View attachment 1282670

Anybody else have concerns over this?
Bolting the "Nifty Lifty" on the jack, could be an improvement...

·
Administrator
13,468 Posts
Place a WTB for a OEM diffuser. Were you using nifty lifty? I ask because that isn't a lift point normally. I reach under with car on ground and remove both the diffuser and belly pan then I jack up under the rear subframe and put a jack stand at either end of the subframe. So glad you weren't hurt!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mai Mai, did you get under the car whilst it was supported only by the jack? Please don't do that. Possible serious injury, death.

I put mine on low angle ramps (Rhino) to change oil. Jackstands work too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you have the front wheels chocked? If you weren’t using a nifty lifty, that is not the proper location/way to lift the back end. To me it looks like the jack may have just been under a small portion of the cross member and the car shifted forward, leaving nothing but the diffuser to support the weight of the car.

Also, make sure you rely on the jack to only lift the car - jack stands should be used to support the car as soon as possible after it is lifted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like a good wake up call to start doing things properly.

1. Lift from the correct place
2. Don't get under the car without jackstands

I'm confused how this even happened, how is the jack up in the air stuck in the diffuser through the exhaust outlet?

·
Registered
532 Posts

Get aftermarket diffuser, not cheap but would be easier to buy than the oem, unless someone else is selling.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
YIKES, its called a diffuser and lots of aftermarket one out there. Look for a Diflow.

You have lifting points on either side, NOTHING IN THE MIDDLE! That's not a hydraulic fail, that's a human fail!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mai Mai

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
YIKES, its called a diffuser and lots of aftermarket one out there. Look for a Diflow.

You have lifting points on either side, NOTHING IN THE MIDDLE! That's not a hydraulic fail, that's a human fail!!!!!!!
There absolutely is a jacking location in the middle. The subframe beam goes all the way across. From the pictures, there isn't really a way for you to tell that the jack didn't fail. Certainly not with that level of confidence.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
965 Posts
In the middle of a lightly stressed, mostly concealed flat panel like that, I'd just rivet on a new piece of aluminum after hammering the edges flat. Maybe some epoxy to for extra bonding and to smooth out the edges and a little paint if cosmetics are important.

If one was to continue lifting at that location, perhaps the repair piece could incorporate some sort of doubler or a leveling/locating depression for the jack. Glad none of the body shell got hit!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There absolutely is a jacking location in the middle. The subframe beam goes all the way across. From the pictures, there isn't really a way for you to tell that the jack didn't fail. Certainly not with that level of confidence.
At the leading edge of the diffuser, not just in front of the exhaust cutout, and the panel and diffuser should be removed to use it securely as shown in your pic. I also believe you are supposed to raise it from the other rear lift points and then position the jack stand there.

With the diffuser still attached you are just aiming/“hoping” you have the jack in the proper location unless you use the nifty lifty, which ensures it is lined up with that beam while proving proper support to it despite the diffuser being in place.

A google search will turn up a pretty good guide/reference on properly lifting the car and using those points.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
At the leading edge of the diffuser, not just in front of the exhaust cutout, and the panel and diffuser should be removed to use it securely as shown in your pic. I also believe you are supposed to raise it from the other rear lift points and then position the jack stand there.

With the diffuser still attached you are just aiming/“hoping” you have the jack in the proper location unless you use the nifty lifty, which ensures it is lined up with that beam while proving proper support to it despite the diffuser being in place.

A google search will turn up a pretty good guide/reference on properly lifting the car and using those points.
The jack punctured just in front of the exhaust cutout, but we don't actually know where the jack was located when he was lifting the car - we only know where it ended up when the car fell. The diffuser looks bent between the main mounting bolts, so I assume the jack was on the subframe through the diffuser. Not the best idea, but also not necessarily a contributing factor here (again, we don't really know much about what happened, only what the OP has said). I used to lift mine using a rubber pad on one of the bolt heads and never had issues.

·
Administrator
13,468 Posts
The jack punctured just in front of the exhaust cutout, but we don't actually know where the jack was located when he was lifting the car - we only know where it ended up when the car fell. The diffuser looks bent between the main mounting bolts, so I assume the jack was on the subframe through the diffuser. Not the best idea, but also not necessarily a contributing factor here (again, we don't really know much about what happened, only what the OP has said). I used to lift mine using a rubber pad on one of the bolt heads and never had issues.
But this was centered not on the bolt heads. She didn't state if using nifty lifty but if it was just on the diffuser that is so wrong and dangerous. It only takes minutes to drop diffuser and belly pan to get access to subframe. So many options this just wasn't one of them.

Reactions: Mai Mai

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I state this in the post you quoted: "...I assume the jack was on the subframe through the diffuser. Not the best idea..."

I would go even further and say that using a rubber pad on the subframe through the diffuser isn't really all that different from using the nifty lifty on the bolt heads, assuming you are positioned correctly on the subframe.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts