The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
It looks like you were using the nifty-lifty and the floor-jack failed, and the nifty-lift to slipped off and the jack punch through the diffuser? I also use the nifty-lifty to lift up the rear, then slide ramps under the rear wheels before removing the under tray, which has the same risk before the ramps are in place. The nifty-lifty slipping off has always seemed like a risk.

That's a good idea, but has always seemed too low to do easily, particularly putting the undertray back on with the car back on the ground. Is putting it back on difficult with it on the ground? I've thought of getting a cordless ratchet, which would be helpful with the car on the ground.

Good reminder though that I should be using front wheel chocks while lifting the back. And to be a little paranoid about lifting safety.

I just dont see the jack failure here. Sorry. But if the jack hydraulicly fails, it is going to go DOWN. In the pic it looks like car rolled and jack (still extended) punched a hole in the diffuser.

Not meaning to hurt anyone's feeling, but I am doubting the mode of failure as presented.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
384 Posts
I just dont see the jack failure here. Sorry. But if the jack hydraulicly fails, it is going to go DOWN. In the pic it looks like car rolled and jack (still extended) punched a hole in the diffuser.

Not meaning to hurt anyone's feeling, but I am doubting the mode of failure as presented.
I agree here, if the jack failed, the car will come straight down. I would bet that the nifty-lifty slipped and the car fell down on the Jack. I believe that the jack may have been jammed and leaking, but I bet this was because the car fell on the jack at the angle and tweaked the jack.

I am not a fan of the Nifty-Lifty devices unless they are physically attached to the jack (welded, bolted, clamped,...) metal on metal has a poor coefficient of friction and it is pretty easy to slip off.

I'm glad there were no injuries, and only minimal damage to the car, but I would bet that the Jack is not at fault here.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree here, if the jack failed, the car will come straight down. I would bet that the nifty-lifty slipped and the car fell down on the Jack. I believe that the jack may have been jammed and leaking, but I bet this was because the car fell on the jack at the angle and tweaked the jack.

I am not a fan of the Nifty-Lifty devices unless they are physically attached to the jack (welded, bolted, clamped,...) metal on metal has a poor coefficient of friction and it is pretty easy to slip off.

I'm glad there were no injuries, and only minimal damage to the car, but I would bet that the Jack is not at fault here.

Yea, and having seen my share of hydraulic failures over the years, they are rarely 'catastrophic'. The mode of failure often starts with slow weeping leak. Once a seal is degraded enough, it might eventually 'blow out', but I cant even imagine what it would take to make that happen in a floor jack. Or if anyone would be crazy enough to still be using it.

Anyway, I too am glad no one was hurt. Another thing VERY important to look for when using a hydraulic floor jack, is that the floor is free from imperfections (or debris) that may not allow it to move freely in and out. I could see a scenario where using a nifty lifty thing, and there was an expansion joint in the concrete (or a pebble) that would not allow the jack to go IN when raising. Eventually you will make that last pump and the lifty will roll right off as the jack head is basically moved reward (because it is not allow to move in under the load)

If the car was indeed chocked, the above would be my best guess.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yea, and having seen my share of hydraulic failures over the years, they are rarely 'catastrophic'.
One time I was in my apartment when I heard a seriously loud BANG. I got up and looked out the window and saw a front end bucket loader with the bucked all the way down on the ground. The hydraulics failed and there were huge streams of fluid pouring out of the lines. A large pool of oil quickly formed all around the piece of heavy equipment.

So it can happen on occasion.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Does the nifty lifty have beveled tubes to go over the large bolt like on the Jack Helper? If you don't have in the right orientation on the Jack Helper the angle of the diffuser doesn't match and would be very dangerous potentially.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Yes, I agree with Krazykevin and itsagoodday, theres more to this story than a jack failure. I think what you have is a leaking pump cylinder on the jack, very common, that explains oil on the floor, then the nifty lifty somehow flipped and pushed the jack backwards or the car forwards, and the liftpad/arm went through the diffuser. That is of course just my opinion, but that’s what I can see happened.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does the nifty lifty have beveled tubes to go over the large bolt like on the Jack Helper? If you don't have in the right orientation on the Jack Helper the angle of the diffuser doesn't match and would be very dangerous potentially.
It has "pucks" bolted on that fit in the recesses for the diffuser bolt to position it, with the ability to relocate them to use for both the Eliges and the Evora.

A rubber jack pad is a better option than metal to metal between the tool and the jack.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
It has "pucks" bolted on that fit in the recesses for the diffuser bolt to position it, with the ability to relocate them to use for both the Eliges and the Evora.

A rubber jack pad is a better option than metal to metal between the tool and the jack.
I can't use my Jack Helper due to Difflow and lower ride height without modifying.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So happy that you're not harmed @Mai Mai . People occasionally sell used oem diffusers on here for reasonable prices. If a black diffuser off an Exige becomes available you may want to consider that to give your Elise a slightly different look. Physically Exige and Elise diffusers are no different, just bare aluminum vs painted black.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So happy that you're not harmed @Mai Mai . People occasionally sell used oem diffusers on here for reasonable prices. If a black diffuser off an Exige becomes available you may want to consider that to give your Elise a slightly different look. Physically Exige and Elise diffusers are no different, just bare aluminum vs painted black.
Actually, they can be different. The 2007+ SC Exiges have an oval cutout for the exhaust that is different from the dual pipe cutout for the exhaust on the Elise and NA Exige In 2006.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
@Mai Mai glad you’re ok. I have a set of rhino ramps that I’ve never used before. I’m located in NJ if you want to buy them. I’m fortunate that I moved into a larger house with a lift before even using the ramps. Please let me know if you want them.
As for the diffuser, I would upgrade to Difflow. The quality is amazing and looks so much better than OEM. Also you might want to consider changing out the undertray that has a window cut out just for oil changes. It saves so much time.

Photograph White Black Lighting Line

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quickjack is another option and the weight of the car rests on locking metal bars.
Curious to know which size you have and where you are lifting from on an Elise. I used to own a BL3500 that I sold when moving. Would like to pick up another if its an option for the Elige.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
@Mai Mai glad you’re ok. I have a set of rhino ramps that I’ve never used before. I’m located in NJ if you want to buy them. I’m fortunate that I moved into a larger house with a lift before even using the ramps. Please let me know if you want them.
As for the diffuser, I would upgrade to Difflow. The quality is amazing and looks so much better than OEM. Also you might want to consider changing out the undertray that has a window cut out just for oil changes. It saves so much time.

View attachment 1324768
Omg I want that set up!!! That looks so easy. A house with a lift already in it?! Wow. I should’ve of thought about that too. Thanks for the offer I want to make sure I get the set up right.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts