The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we all know, a common theme around here is that everyone wishes there were more colours to choose from when spec'ing the Emira.

So my question is, what about just having the Emira professionally repainted after taking delivery?

Whenever researching repainting / re-spraying options online, the most common downside I always hear is "resale value, resale value, resale value". But why is that? If Hethel can do a good enough job of painting your car, then why couldn't some other company?

From a purely cost-based point of view, repainting / re-spraying would seem like a reasonable alternative:
  • Custom paint job through Lotus: approx. $9,000 USD / $12,000 CAD*
  • "Professional quality repaint" through my local Lamborghini / Lotus dealership: $12,000 USD / $16,000 CAD**
So obviously the re-paint option costs more than ordering a custom colour through Lotus. But as we all know, Lotus isn't offering custom Emira paint jobs yet (ever?). So then essentially, all else being equal, that $3,000 USD / $4,000 CAD cost difference is the price of having an Emira in the colour you want, today.

What are the downsides of doing this?

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Sky

* Ballpark figure based on the cost of a custom paint job on the Evora (one person said ~ $8,000 USD?)
** In before all the "My buddy can do it for $1,500" comments 馃槃

Registered
1998 Elise Duratec, 2009 Exige S240 (+TVS1320 / CC)
I think the other issue could be that some of the body fixings / adhesives / seals could be one time use only, so getting the body reassembled correctly may depend on getting these replacement items.... at a time when Lotus will be under pressure to build new cars, not supply spare parts.

I don't know about the Emira, but Lotus' over the past 2+ decades have panels such as the side sills painted prior to being bonded to the chassis tub. De-bonding these to achieve the same level of paint finish / zero overspray would be extremely difficult (not impossible) without damage

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... resale and warranty will be an issue... just get a color change via a wrap!
IMO wraps look like garbage. You can pretty much always tell when a car has been wrapped, even from far away. And then without fail, any time you see one in person you can always spot the crappy tuck jobs around the edges / seams of the car. Maybe I'm just more of a detail-oriented person, but those imperfections always ruin it for me.

That aside, you just reminded me about those "peelable paint" products like TopazSkin or AutoFlex. Maybe I should look into those again...

Registered
IMO wraps look like garbage. You can pretty much always tell when a car has been wrapped, even from far away. And then without fail, any time you see one in person you can always spot the crappy tuck jobs around the edges / seams of the car. Maybe I'm just more of a detail-oriented person, but those imperfections always ruin it for me.

That aside, you just reminded me about those "peelable paint" products like TopazSkin or AutoFlex. Maybe I should look into those again...
Just as PPF... it's all in the installer. This is my guy! One of the best in the states!

Administrator
Why not just wrap it?
That鈥檚 what I will likely do to mine.
Can鈥檛 believe they aren鈥檛 offering white 鈥

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White will be offered just not in the FE. Recent announcement.

Loves to talk
How about buying the supposedly cost effective Lotus while early adopters post thirty eight plus threads about how it could end up being too expensive for the performance on offer all while discussing who's in and who's out at any given price but ultimately immediately repainting it upon delivery? Priceless!

Registered
How about buying the supposedly cost effective Lotus while early adopters post thirty eight plus threads about how it could end up being too expensive for the performance on offer all while discussing who's in and who's out at any given price but ultimately immediately repainting it upon delivery? Priceless!
This ^^^. I find some these threads to be so hilarious. Seriously, who would buy a brand-new car just to repaint - unless they have too much money to throw away? I guess Lotus is trying to keep the Emira FE at lower price by having few boring colors. Just wait for a few years, to get the color you want (assuming Lotus will add more colors). In the meantime, buy an Esprit, Elise, Exige, or Evora and sell it after a few years. You might break even or even make some money doing it since Lotus stopped making those cars. I made extra 4K selling my first Elise. My current Exige and Evora also appreciate but I'm not planning to sell them. They are as reliable as any of my Toyota that we have owned or currently own.

Premium Member
If you repainted the car on delivery through Lotus dealership I wouldn't be as worried on the financial impact. There is a clear story with documentation and validation from a Lotus franchise. Anyone interested in the car would see and know this. Whether this is a smart move or not is another question.

I would wait it out until Lotus can accommodate custom colors or has our old favorites on list.

Loves to talk
That's the thing. Whatever else Lotus does or doesn't provide, they've traditionally offered very broad, flexible and alluring color palates with more good choices than most other marques, including every German brand possibly excepting Porsche and even there, the standard colors are pretty limited and quite boring as a rule. In fact, sometimes I think the Germans just don't do color all that well. Not their thing. The Brits on the other hand, are very good at that.

Like Porsche, with Lotus you can have just about any color you wanted as long as you were willing to pay a (generally modest) premium for it. Evora liveries are an example of the many generally well judged colors you could get from the standard catalog. Being the first to buy something is fun for bragging rights, but generally limits you in ways that are not always immediately obvious.

Registered
If it's your car wtf do you care what other people think? These people obviously didn't:

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Don't buy a car as an investment. It rarely works out. So, screw resale value, unless you plan on flipping it or selling it. If you plan on keeping it until it or you dies then who cares?

If you want to repaint your brand new car, have the money, have someone you trust to do it to your liking, have nothing else better to do with your money, do it.

Premium Member

Sounds like patience is the way to go for you. I'll gladly buy you a lighter and burn your money for you.......

Registered
That's ridiculous and you know it.

First off, the thread count won't reach higher than 35. And second, it's a waste of time using up all those cans of Krylon to repaint the Emira when you could be spending it buying a new Z06 doner car so you can yank its engine & drop it into the Emira. It's only after the Emira has the proper 670hp that anyone smart will consider the secondary priorities like re-paint, and installation of must-have accessories like a bike rack and 3rd coffee cup holder.

Registered
If it's your car wtf do you care what other people think? These people obviously didn't:

View attachment 1302578

View attachment 1302579

View attachment 1302580

Don't buy a car as an investment. It rarely works out. So, screw resale value, unless you plan on flipping it or selling it. If you plan on keeping it until it or you dies then who cares?

If you want to repaint your brand new car, have the money, have someone you trust to do it to your liking, have nothing else better to do with your money, do it.
I mean - remember this car?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

The answer is always wariness of quality work. If you document it and pay up for the right shops....

If you pay enough, maybe Lotus will do it for you one off? There are certainly people who repaint to their own color choice. If you plan to own it a while, I say, do you and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts