The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we all know, a common theme around here is that everyone wishes there were more colours to choose from when spec'ing the Emira.

So my question is, what about just having the Emira professionally repainted after taking delivery?

Whenever researching repainting / re-spraying options online, the most common downside I always hear is "resale value, resale value, resale value". But why is that? If Hethel can do a good enough job of painting your car, then why couldn't some other company?

From a purely cost-based point of view, repainting / re-spraying would seem like a reasonable alternative:
  • Custom paint job through Lotus: approx. $9,000 USD / $12,000 CAD*
  • "Professional quality repaint" through my local Lamborghini / Lotus dealership: $12,000 USD / $16,000 CAD**
So obviously the re-paint option costs more than ordering a custom colour through Lotus. But as we all know, Lotus isn't offering custom Emira paint jobs yet (ever?). So then essentially, all else being equal, that $3,000 USD / $4,000 CAD cost difference is the price of having an Emira in the colour you want, today.

What are the downsides of doing this?

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Sky

* Ballpark figure based on the cost of a custom paint job on the Evora (one person said ~ $8,000 USD?)
** In before all the "My buddy can do it for $1,500" comments 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... resale and warranty will be an issue... just get a color change via a wrap!
IMO wraps look like garbage. You can pretty much always tell when a car has been wrapped, even from far away. And then without fail, any time you see one in person you can always spot the crappy tuck jobs around the edges / seams of the car. Maybe I'm just more of a detail-oriented person, but those imperfections always ruin it for me.

That aside, you just reminded me about those "peelable paint" products like TopazSkin or AutoFlex. Maybe I should look into those again...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts