The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like bringing life to old threads, but has anyone heard anymore about the gullwing from autostyle solutions, or anywhere else?

If they don't become available I might have to bite the bullet on the hardtop.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I think it is available from Auto$tyle $olution$, just a question of whether you have enough $$$$$. Perhaps $hinoo will add it to the $ector111 line. (Please consider adding a luggage rack - not very elegant, but could have occasional value).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I go to autostyles website nada.... the only link that works is the email one. I haven't heard anything from them even after sending an email last month. Just wondering if someone else out there is Elise land knows more then I.

Sector111 Dosen't have anything, just says coming soon.
I want it NOW! :mad:

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Tigga, of Autostyle-Solutions, informed me that he was going to post info on
'elisetalk' as soon as he had decided on
a U.S. distributor. Hopefully, something will be posted this month. Don't know much about the 'other' gullwing that Middlemoor Mouldings (in U.K.) claims to have. You might try contacting them if nothing develops this month from Autostyle-Solutions.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I scrutinized the various gull-wing options at the Lotus Show and found the Autostyle product to be the best overall solution - both functionally and cosmetically.

I met with Tigga and his partner this past Sunday. They have sorted out their manufacturing issues and will have product available early this summer. Sector 111 will offer their gull-wing roof. The best news is that it will be more affordable.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shinoo said:
I scrutinized the various gull-wing options at the Lotus Show and found the Autostyle product to be the best overall solution - both functionally and cosmetically.

I met with Tigga and his partner this past Sunday. They have sorted out their manufacturing issues and will have product available early this summer. Sector 111 will offer their gull-wing roof. The best news is that it will be more affordable.
So I guess they didn't give you any further info on an approx. time period other then just "this summer"? Did you get pricing or any close estimates... I figure you didn't or you would have posted but I HAVE to ask :)

If not would you be able to get us a little more info... I am really interested since I am going to be driving it as often as possible not just when top down weather permits.

-Jeff

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
jeff8875 said:
So I guess they didn't give you any further info on an approx. time period other then just "this summer"?
We are shooting for July.

The clear top idea is good. Though it'll have to wait...we need to get the standard tops first! :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Shinoo, another question:

Will the panels be stowable in the boot?

This feature may be a deal-maker to some.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Tigga assured me, way back in Nov., that the two panels are easily removable and able to be stored in the boot. The center post that you affix to existing connecting areas remains on the car. That 'one time'
easy put-on application takes about 30 minutes. Removing and re-positioning the two gull-wings only takes about 30 seconds for each piece. Painting will be
done using the specific paint code of your vehicle for proper color matching.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was also very interested in the GW top, so I did a search for it on SELOC. It seems that Autostyle Solutions (Tigga) was not able to supply a working product, and all of the customers who had given him a deposit were getting their money back. I just went ahead and added the factory hardtop to my order. Cheaper, better customer service, and probably a better product based on the 'keep it simple' theory. max

·
Registered
788 Posts
Maxx.. read the same thing with the same conclusion.. There were a few in Hong Kong that were rather angry. It might just be a few bugs to be worked out, but I didn't want to try and get a hardtop later and then pay $300 to have it paint matched.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I am also quite sensitive to their past problems. Without a doubt Autostyle has had a number of missteps with their product intro - or lack there of. You have every right to be skeptical. I was as well. After meeting them and reviewing their product as well as their new manufacturing plan, I am confident that we will be able to deliver. We are not taking any deposits until we have product sitting in our warehouse.

Yes, the panels will fit in das boot. A very cool feature. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
shinoo,
Did you see the gullwings installed? Also did you see any leaking tests? How heavy are these things?
Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Having seen the Federal car a few times now, I don't see how anyone is going to fit a gullwing door without some serious fiberglass work and paining. I have to believe the old hinge has to come out and new one has to be put in, the sealing surfaces around the door will change as will the weather strip/door seal. Of course the window mechanism will change as will the latching mechanism. It seems like an awful lot will have to change and for what? What will insurance companies say, the car was crash tested and approved with the factory doors, will these doors be crash tested to the same standard? Remember most insurance policies somewhere in the pages of Terms and Conditions require that you declair any major modifications to the car and any changes to "safety" systems, might doors be "safety" system related?
If I were going to spend a thousand(s?) dollars, (by the time you buy the doors, fit the doors, and get a quality paint job on the doors) I would spend it on something that enhanced the performance of the car.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
James A said:
Having seen the Federal car a few times now, I don't see how anyone is going to fit a gullwing door without some serious fiberglass work and paining. I have to believe the old hinge has to come out and new one has to be put in, the sealing surfaces around the door will change as will the weather strip/door seal. Of course the window mechanism will change as will the latching mechanism. It seems like an awful lot will have to change and for what? What will insurance companies say, the car was crash tested and approved with the factory doors, will these doors be crash tested to the same standard? Remember most insurance policies somewhere in the pages of Terms and Conditions require that you declair any major modifications to the car and any changes to "safety" systems, might doors be "safety" system related?
If I were going to spend a thousand(s?) dollars, (by the time you buy the doors, fit the doors, and get a quality paint job on the doors) I would spend it on something that enhanced the performance of the car.
The joining of the window to the softtop/hardtop/gullwing per se is not a major load-bearing structure in the car. That area is not what would protect you in a crash (I infer you mean a rollover).

Whether Tigga et al can deliver a reasonably waterproof and quiet gullwing roof is another question and remains to be seen, although I am cautiously optimistic. I would also require it to store in the boot for the money we can expect to be charged. Cross fingers.

I don't believe anyone is seriously developing a gullwing door itself.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
E-Mail From A-S on 11/23/03

"Our T-Bar roof is fitted by unbolting the roll bar cover that is on the Elise and then bolting our T-Bar centre "T" section into the original Lotus mounts. This whole process should take about 30 minutes. Once the "T" section is fitted, the panels take less than a minute each to fit. Both panels can be stored in the boot. Any Lotus paint color can be matched exactly by supplying us with the paint code of your Elise. We cannot guarantee against leaking but our T-Bar roof went through over 18 months of developing and testing including extensive testing of different types of seals around the "T" section and along the top of the windows. Our roof is as leak proof as a removable top can be. Our T-Bar roof also incorportates rain gutters along the sides as an additional preventative measure." Note: This e-mail I received from Tigga was posted some time back, either on elisetalk or puresportscar site.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Re: E-Mail From A-S on 11/23/03

Ridgemanron said:
"Our T-Bar roof is fitted by unbolting the roll bar cover that is on the Elise and then bolting our T-Bar centre "T" section into the original Lotus mounts. This whole process should take about 30 minutes. Once the "T" section is fitted, the panels take less than a minute each to fit. Both panels can be stored in the boot. Any Lotus paint color can be matched exactly by supplying us with the paint code of your Elise. We cannot guarantee against leaking but our T-Bar roof went through over 18 months of developing and testing including extensive testing of different types of seals around the "T" section and along the top of the windows. Our roof is as leak proof as a removable top can be. Our T-Bar roof also incorportates rain gutters along the sides as an additional preventative measure." Note: This e-mail I received from Tigga was posted some time back, either on elisetalk or puresportscar site.
That info. I believe pertains specifically to the European spec S2, not the Federal Elise which may have different boot geometry/opening clearances for the panels & other fitment issues.

Apples vs. (Chrome) Oranges.

·
Registered
219 Posts
LarryB said:
James- it's a "gullwing top" and not a door, that as you've mention would be a major undertaking.
Phew. Now that we've cleared that up,

"What's all this fuss I hear about endangered feces? That's outrageous. Why is feces endangered? How can you possibly run out of such a thing? Just look around you - you can see it all over the place. And besides, who wants to save that anyway?"

:D :D :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts