The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this thread...

Given that I'm considering the possibility of getting an Elise, here in Spain there is also the option of getting an Opel Speedster (Vauxhall VX220 in UK), which as you probably know is based on the Elise.

Has anyone tryed this car? Is it really a "fun" option? Is the 2.2 (147 bhp) engine enough (finding a mint condition Turbo is quite impossible)?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

·
Registered
891 Posts
as aedo said ...

generally
Opel Speedster turbo is better than Opel speedster 2.2 NA

NA engine was not enough for this car with 2000lbs weight

·
Registered
712 Posts
new Vauxhall VX220 with V8 -450hp engine

Caral Automotive has an exciting conversion for the Vauxhall VX220 – a longitudinally installed supercharged Jaguar V8 with six-speed Getrag transaxle. The re-engineering extends the wheelbase and adds a ‘snorkel’ roof-top air intake. The company says you could have a 450bhp ‘V8XS’ for under £30K all-in. The engine and ’box conversion also fits the Lotus Esprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Caral Automotive has an exciting conversion for the Vauxhall VX220 – a longitudinally installed supercharged Jaguar V8 with six-speed Getrag transaxle. The re-engineering extends the wheelbase and adds a ‘snorkel’ roof-top air intake. The company says you could have a 450bhp ‘V8XS’ for under £30K all-in. The engine and ’box conversion also fits the Lotus Esprit.
That's wicked!
wonder what kind of performance that thing has!

makes ya ponder why the same hasn't been done by Lotus for an Exige?
- tho I imagine some of that has to do with not wanting to spoil the market for the upcoming Esprit??

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That's wicked!
wonder what kind of performance that thing has!

makes ya ponder why the same hasn't been done by Lotus for an Exige?
- tho I imagine some of that has to do with not wanting to spoil the market for the upcoming Esprit??
I'm not sure the aluminum frame is designed to have that much weight hanging off it for a long period of time. I'm also not sure that the frame can deal with that type of torque.

It would be a hell of a lot of fun, though.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's wicked! wonder what kind of performance that thing has! makes ya ponder why the same hasn't been done by Lotus for an Exige?
...the VX220 starts with a longer chassis, same as the europa - it wouldn't fit in the elise/exige...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts