The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 S4s
I had taken the trunk liner out to do the gearbox oil change. Looking in there I couldn't be in denial anymore. I had to refresh the T-pieces, elbows and tubing for the vacuum system(s). As I was taking inventory, I found a disturbing ly unaccounted for tube that appeared to be broken off with no apparent mate.
What I found after some digging has me even more puzzled.
this is the open end found dangling near the turbo. The tubing for the turbo,WA and solenoid are accounted for:

It connects through a valve, maybe and snakes around to a size adapter:

Next stop after another dozen inches of pipe:

This cute little cold air intake filter snuggled in between the reservior and air filter... that's it... just a pipe sitting in the engine bay going nowhere it seems
What could it be?
The odd thing is that my memory fooled me into thinking this filter thing was OEM. I never questioned it's presence since I took delivery in January. Its obviously not OEM from looking at pictures of others' Esprits and its apparent absence from the manuals.
Is there any thoughts about what and why it's in there?

Rob

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Crankcase ventilator.

The green thingie is called a PCV valve (unless you work for the Lotus factory). It is just a screen with a rubber flap (which is probably shot by now).:giggle: The other thing is a valve too, used in the newer cars (our older car just has a stylish RED PCV).

The filter is a P.O.s doing. If you really want to be up-to-date, install an oil catch can instead of that filter.

Reactions: Robotech

·
S4s
697 Posts
@Robotech Same as what @carbuff said.
Here is a link Oil residue in the intake system to a picture of that green egg thingy (although this pic has a red one). That was some sort of weird venting of crankcase gases to the atmosphere that the previous owner setup with that mini filter. I recommend getting an oil catch can to reduce the amount of oil that goes into your intake air box. Check out the procedure here: Esprit Oil Catch Tank
I suggest getting a small oil catch can because there is not a lot of room to mount one of those and still get access to the oil filter. (Don't ask how I know 😣 ).

I know you are doing lots of mods, and thought this link might be of use to you also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Atwell!
Im assuming it goes here?

It's still strange. It's possible it got knocked loose as I was manipulating the trunk liner because the turbo and WA lines came loose too but I dont see ANY way it could have wound up where I found it. it would have had to weave itself through that mess of tubes and wires down next to the turbo. I dont see a fastener, is that missing?
Also, would the line being disconnected cause either of the following?
1) excessive exhaust/fuel smell
2) putt-putt-putt noise from the running engine

Thanks again

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the advantage of returning to the air box as designed? It seems the atmosphere dump and the catch can takes that part out of the equation? Should I go ahead and replace the non-return valve and the PCV while I'm at it? Also, the PO did a ram air mod. would this affect doing a catch can?

·
S4s
697 Posts
That vacuum line goes to where you show in your picture. I had mine pop-off a few times so I replaced it with a new vacuum line (red hose as shown in the picture below). I also suggest you check the one-way check valve (gently blow through it), since those usually need to get replaced because of the rubber flap in there deteriorating.

The idea of recirculating the air into the airbox was to be environmentally friendly and have the excess gases return to the airbox and get burnt up in the combustion cycle. There are two types of oil catch cans (closed, and ones that vent to atmosphere). If you get a closed one, then make sure you get one with large enough diameter inlets or else you will blow your dip stick out. The catch can goes between the green egg and the airbox.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts