The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a transfer to NJ from Calif. My VF Stg1 would be having the CARB compliance concerns here in Calif in about a yr (but there are options even here).

Would i fare any better or worse in NJ? (i don't really want to sell the Lotus, and i was planning on the VF Stg2).

I'm not concerned about the actual smog emissions, but the CVN and visual inspection. As Charlie has posted, the CVN is the equivalent of a checksum and it isn't recognized (at least in Calif). The NJ state DMV website only talks about smog, licensing, registration and titling but nothing about the details of the actual inspection itself. BTW, out-of-state 2009 cars brought to NJ evidently have to pass Calif CARB now, that was a surprise.

On a related matter, what are the well-recognized Lotus shops in the Nutley-Montclair area? I imagine i may need to enlist their help.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
NJ inspections are pretty easy. But for $60, do a privave inspection. Just pick some random mechanic / gas station to do it for $60 and give them a little tip. They'll pass you without even hooking your car up for smog testing.

Although, I've never tried moving a car from CA into NJ.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that sounds incredibly easy :nanner: I'll bet inspecting an out-of-state car would be a bit different tho.

NJ inspections are pretty easy. But for $60, do a privave inspection. Just pick some random mechanic / gas station to do it for $60 and give them a little tip. They'll pass you without even hooking your car up for smog testing.

Although, I've never tried moving a car from CA into NJ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts