The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guys in Hethel worked really hard together with Yokohama to jointly develop the tires that come with the car.

If your car and suspension are close to stock, you're on the safe side with them.

edit: like oldmansan underneath me says, you need to know what you are using them for. You were asking for street use. And that's why I suggested the stock tires as the car was actually developed using those. It's a perfect balance of performance and longevity for "normal" use. (Yokohama Advan Neova AD08)

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
No such thing without more details on what you're looking for. Even then it will be a matter of opinion.

Best dry grip? Best wet grip? Best price? Best longevity? You get the idea.

For a sports car I think grip is the most important factor, but that's my opinion.

San

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
IMHO, the problem with non-performance oriented tires is that you're stuck with less grip for longer period of time, which would make me miserable to no end.

I think you need to specify what type of driving(race/HPDE/AutoX/canyons/street/commute) you'll be doing and how much you plan to use the car(10k miles a year/5k a year/drive to and from HPDE or autoX/daily commute).

Also, if you looked hard enough, there's a separate section just for suspension/tires. That might have the answers you're looking for.

I run R888 and they're good for autox/track duty. It lasts me around 4k~8k miles depending on the type of driving I do.
A few fellow drivers like the Dunlop ZII or Yokohama A08 for fast street duty.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
direzza star specs. 1/2 trhe price of the yokas, great performance.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I will back up Lowtush on the toyo proxes R1R tires. Don't be one of those Lotus guys who posts pictures of his rail-kissed car, due to a wet road.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've always been partial to Hankooks on my other cars for price and performance. Any preferences?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Stock rims 5.5f/7.5r? You can run 205 fronts on 5.5 but better to stay 195 and as close to stock overall diameter as you can. Dunlop z1 and z2 run pretty tall in the front and stiffen/behave differently from about half tread, r1r feel mushy to some due to softer sidewalls. I switched to 7.0f/8.0r s111 ethos rims to have better tire options. Find my thread Elise/Exige rims and tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
394 Posts
For the rear wheel size, the Toyo R1R are exactly 25% more expensive than the Yokohama Advan AD08-R tires over here. (Europe).

For those who have tried both, are the Toyo that much better, considering that the Yokohama have better rating for "rain"?

regarding "Rating", in Europe each tire manufacturer needs to go through a standardised set of test to rate fuel efficiency, grip in the rain, and noise.

For the Toyo R1R it is:
fuel efficiency: F (2nd to worst, G)
grip in the rain: C (compared to other tires, pretty respectable)
noise: 73 dB

For the Yokohama it is:
fuel efficiency: F
grip in the rain: B (very respectable!)
noise: 75 dB

this means that in standardised tests, the Yokohama have better grip in wet conditions, but are also a little bit louder.

·
Registered
296 Posts
+another for the R1Rs.
I have also driven the star specs on several other cars and love them. But I haven't driven a street tire that beats the R1Rs in the rain. And I've driven a bunch of street tires.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Elise is replacing my gsxr 750 and will be my new weekend canyon car. I'll probably only put on about 5k per year and they'll hard driven canyon miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
My Elise is replacing my gsxr 750 and will be my new weekend canyon car. I'll probably only put on about 5k per year and they'll hard driven canyon miles.

Then do as a couple people have mentioned, and trust the Lotus engineers who developed specific "LTS" versions of the AD07s and AO48s for this specific car. There are cheaper generic tires and you can use other sizes, but if you are looking for the optimum tires, it would be those designed for the car.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
He said street tires guys not race...+1 on stock Yoko a07 tires lotus knows more about their cars handling than any motorhead on this site I bet...

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
No one has asked, but does your car have the Sport Pack? If so, then the tires Lotus designed for it are the Yokohama A048 LTS. If not, then the Yokohama AD07 LTS.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Toyo R888's all the way, been running them for years and love them.

I just got some R6 slicks for the track, curious how they will compare (feedback/how they let go/turn in and such)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The R6 have higher grip, but a smaller margin between maximum grip and spinning the car. Give them a good lap which will allow them to get up to temperature before you push them.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Qualifier: With nothing else to compare to, I love these!

I drive street only. The tires that came on my car were chosen by the previous owner (an Intel engineer) to replace the stock tires which weren't even worn out yet. Just saying: if you look at the consumer reviews on the Yokohama A048 LTS tires you see some disappointment in them over some other tires.
I have the sport pac on my '08 SC and am running the same tires I bought on it. I don't run in the rain and I love high speed cornering and I haven't had any fantasy's about "other tires". These just work (for me). What will I replace them with when the time comes? Not certain. (This model tire is an 11A on the 17" rear and an XL on the 16" front now.)
(They look serious too!)

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
205/45 R16 (Front)
245/40 R17 (Rear)

The quote from Tire Rack on the ones available now.

2 - 205/45R-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 XL
Download Warranty Brochure PDF
In Stock $156.00 $312.00

2 - 245/40R-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Download Warranty Brochure PDF
In Stock $174.00 $348.00

6/28/14-Update. Now TR recommends these in Bridgestone... (RE-760's) https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR7RE760&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Umm, I have taught some engineers that ended up going to Intel. Unless you want to multiply/divide in hex for fun or write dirty words in ASCII, make up your own mind on tires for a race car for the street ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts