The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am moving to Portland from CA, and I am terrified of driving my supercharged Lotus Elise on wet surfaces, it just loses grip way too easily.

So i suppose i need to change my tires, i currently have toyo R888's and even though i've heard people say they are Ok in the rain, i wholeheartedly disagree. The car is just dangerous with them in the wet (or at least it is dangerous if i drive it).

So i was hoping if any of you can recommend me some tires that will allow me to drive the damn thing in Portland where it rains 9 months of the year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
R888's are not ideal in the wet, and can be diabolical in standing water.

Both the Continental DWS06 (all season) and ExtremeContact Sport are readily available in the stock 195/50-16 and 225/45-17 sizes and have good reputations in the rain. But just about any high performance street tire will be better in the rain than what you have.

If you're not super aggressive on the street and/or on the track, R888's are overkill. Most of us could never work them hard enough on the street to get them to their optimal temperature.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Really like Bridgestone RE-11s in rain and dry, but not sure still available.

Anecdotal evidence is not all that useful vs, say, Tire Rack testing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m running Continental ExtremeContact in stock LSS sizes on an Elise with Rev400. Great street tire in both wet and dry. Sticky enough to have fun on a twisty road and very confidence inspiring in the wet. I no longer have concerns about getting caught in a heavy Texas deluge. I do switch out to sticky r-comps for track use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts