The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for new tires.
Car is 2006, has Touring pack and Sport pack, I think.
Current sizes are:

Fronts 205/50 R16
Rears 225/45 R17

I'm inclined to just choose the same sizes, unless you guys recommend differently.
I've seen many recommendations for RE71, so I'm leaning that way.
I may participate in autocross or road race but that won't be for another year or so, just love driving the car through the twisties. Don't ever plan on driving in the snow, rain driving would be extreme rare as well.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking for new tires.
Car is 2006, has Touring pack and Sport pack, I think.
Current sizes are:

Fronts 205/50 R16
Rears 225/45 R17

I'm inclined to just choose the same sizes, unless you guys recommend differently.
I've seen many recommendations for RE71, so I'm leaning that way.
I may participate in autocross or road race but that won't be for another year or so, just love driving the car through the twisties. Don't ever plan on driving in the snow, rain driving would be extreme rare as well.
Most likely 6.5 and 7.5 inches respectively for the rim widths (front and rear). Tires are a personal preference, and everyone has a different opinion on what's best.

San

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Do they not perform too well in hot weather?
Thanks,
You said you wouldn't participate in road racing for another year or more, so you'll have plenty of time to test the tires in hot weather. Again, everyone has their own opinion on what tires are good or bad. That said, the RE71R comes up in conversations here quite often, so I think it would be among the contenders.

San

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on some recommendations, I checked out the following 4 on tire rack:

Potenza RE71R
BF Goodrich G Force Rival S 1.5
Dunlop Durezza Z III
Yokohama Advan A052

Only Yokohama Advan A052 come in my sizes:
Extreme Performance Summer, Speed Rating W
205/50 R16
225/45 R17
Treadwear 200
$775 is more than I want to spend for my intended use of the car.

I then thought maybe I needed to expand my search.

Ultra High Performance All-season, Speed Rating W.
BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S, treadwear 400, $465
Riken Raptor ZR A/S, treadwear 300, $299

Ultra High Performance Summer, Speed Rating W
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, treadwear 340, $381
BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2, treadwear 340, $467
Kumho Ecsta PS31, treadwear 400, $353

I think the Kumho Ecsta PS31 will work for me.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Don’t forget Hankook Ventus R-S4, great tires at a very reasonable price point.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
The factory recommended sizes for your wheels are 195/50/16 front and 225/45/17 rear.
First thing I would do is check your fronts and confirm the size, they can be either 6" or 6.5", that will make a big difference in which tire size you choose.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The factory recommended sizes for your wheels are 195/50/16 front and 225/45/17 rear.
First thing I would do is check your fronts and confirm the size, they can be either 6" or 6.5", that will make a big difference in which tire size you choose.
Will this require removing the tire from the wheel in order to measure wheel width?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
No not at all, just have to take the wheel off and it will be stamped on the inside. I have the same wheels as you, and my fronts are 6", which limits me for certain tires if I want to go 205 width.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No not at all, just have to take the wheel off and it will be stamped on the inside. I have the same wheels as you, and my fronts are 6", which limits me for certain tires if I want to go 205 width.
So the previous owner may have put larger tires than recommended on the stock front wheels. I'll check the wheel.
Thank you,

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
It's stamped on the edge of the rim, you may be able to see it if you stick your head in there with a light.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Sure looks like it, you got the good ones. 👍

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So 205/50 R16 tire is fine for my 6.5" rim?
I just want to confirm that the tires on there now are ok and not too wide.
Thanks,

·
He's on fire!
3,288 Posts
205/50's are known for being too tall. Do you have a hole in your fender liners or rubbing on the front headlights? If you are a gentle driver street only, or have aftermarket stiffer suspension you may be fine. It would be advisable to go with a 195/50/16 or a 205/45/16 over a 205/50/16 up front.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
205/50's are known for being too tall. Do you have a hole in your fender liners or rubbing on the front headlights? If you are a gentle driver street only, or have aftermarket stiffer suspension you may be fine. It would be advisable to go with a 195/50/16 or a 205/45/16 over a 205/50/16 up front.
No wonder the looks appear a little off to me, but I wasn't sure. The fronts look a bit thicker than the rears.
And, there are definitely rub spots on the well liners in front of both wheels. Photo shows passenger side.
Now my decision is between 195/50 or 205/45. Can you, and anybody else, offer your opinion?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
There are so...... many possibilities, and to make it even more confusing, same size tires from different brands, are not necessarily the same dimensions, i.e. they may or may not rub.
I run BS RE-71R 205/45/16 F and 245/40/17 R on 7“and 8“ wheels with no problems. My ride height is 125/130 with -2.2 camber F and -2.0 R.
If you like spirited driving and spend minimum time in the rain, I can highly recommend the RE-71R, but then again, that is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts