The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Plenty of auto-x Elises use 205/45/16 front and 245/40/17 rear tires on LSS wheels. I always ran 15" front wheels, but I never heard any complaints from others using 16" fronts.

I have used RE71R tires with wider wheels (8" front, 9" rear) during hot and cool conditions, both auto-x and track days. They hold up just fine.

Yoko A052 is the newest, must have tire for auto-x and track. I haven't run them yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard/seen good things with the Firehawk 500. not the most aggressive tire by any means, but a friend of mine who was an all-out TT guy with a bonkers Datsun 510, decided he had enough and went back to HPDE. He's now running a last gen MR2 with the firehawks. He loves it. says they work well on the street and very forgiving on the track. they just not going to be the fastest thing around.

Someone else posted about RS4s. Yes, they don't come in your size, but if you want, you can find 15x8 and 17x8 (or 17x9) and run the 225/45 and 245/40 (or 255/40). These are very popular sizes (miata front / S2000 rear) and then lots of good inexpensive choices become available. Currently, they are basically giving away RS4s because racetracks are just now opening up and the warehouses are full of them. Miata and S2K use them for track days, street tire 200TW classes, and tons for enduro events. The 225/255 setup looks very aggressive. Then only downsides are they definitely add drag down the straights, the combo is heavier than stock, and space is tight with the 255.

pic is of 225/255 RS3s. just received a set of RS4s.
IMG_1172.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had Toyo R888 on my Elise with the sport package and I wanted a tire for street and all weather. (so DD can ignore my position) So first I choose Discount Tire over Tire Rack any day. I stayed with the standard sizes and choose Continental Extreme Contact Sports. This is a great tire and I am so glad to have left the harsh beating of track tires behind. These tires have a very good, light and compliant feeling and I find they are as direct and precise as I could want. If I were younger I would have a second set of rims for track events because the Conti are so much better all around.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yes I agree, had the Conti’s on my 911, they are amazing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all your opinions and advice. I ended up going with Hankook Ventus RS4 in sizes 205/45 ZR16 and 225/45 ZR17. Oddly, 3 of the tires came today, the 4th is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I had them shipped to the nearby Pep Boys.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts