The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Fell out during my LETSLA test drive.

Clam shims? If so, do I care?
These are usually taped between your trunk floor and the sub frame. You will need these. Look at the BOE tilting clam write ups to see exact locations.

Chris

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
did they remove the clam when the shifter was installed?i would think not.that shifter looks pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thread reference. I tried a couple searches and the Service manual, but came up empty.

I did the install. Didnt touch the clam.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
thats weird they would slide out of there.i remember seeing it in the service manual.in the rear clam shell section.there is a minimum distance that the boot floor must be away from the heat shield.these shims have a bolt going through them.somebody must have missed.when they installed the bolts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, how concerned am I about getting them back in?
Is there an easy way to get to the subframe/clam gap without removing the clam?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Based on the overwhelming number of responses I guess its not a big deal. Cool! :p
Actually, I think it is a big deal - if they are in fact shims that were used on your car (as opposed to extras that had been dropped in there somewhere when they were assembling your car.

Without the proper shims, the body is being "bent" and it could (but not necessarily) lead to stress cracks at some future date. Also, if they are shims that affect how the other body panels line up, you could be having interference with other body parts.

I think the lack or responses is because noone else has had the same "problem"...

But it all depends... :shrug:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on the overwhelming number of responses I guess its not a big deal. Cool! :p
Mostly done to provoke some form of a response. So, thanks! ;) I understand why they are there. I'm wondering more about how big of a project getting them back in will be. I"ll figure something out next time I get the diffuser off.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Shims could be tricky

As part of my SC install, I removed the rear clam and found 3 shims like those in the picture on the passenger side of the car. There wer no shims on the driver's side.

The shims are mounted ON TOP of the rear subframe, between the clam itself and the subframe. The shims are held in place by a bolt that runs through the trunk/boot floor and into the subframe itself. It is the rearmost bolthole in the trunk.

I would guess that you would need to remove the wheel liner and loosen the trunk bolts to slide the shims in between the clam and the subframe. Then you have to get the shim hole(s) lined up with the bolthole. Could be tricky.

I'll be putting my clam back on inthe next few days, so I'll see how hard it is.

If you want a pic let me know. It's easy as the car is apart.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Wayne. There are a couple of good pics in Tilting Clam thread and the service manual. So I get where they need to go, although I'm not sure which side. I'm pretty sure that bolt(s) is still installed. I wonder if the previous owner (or maybe me) took it out for whatever reason and then drove around long enough for them to not be lined up any longer, allowing them to eventually fall out. Either way, it took them a while to make they're way out.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Even if your car is out of warrantee it should be covered as it's a very provable problem that definately happened during (before the warrantee period). Case in point, I had a refrigeration line wear out on a unit a year out of warrantee, but they had installed it incorrectly, the service tech agreed and they honored the warrantee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts