The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you doing to prepare for the arrival of your Elise? Here is my list:

1. I need to make enough room in the garage for the Elise, all 149 inches of it. The Seven is sold! Unfortunately the Seven was less than 134 inches long so I still need some space currently taken by the antique arcade games stacked and awaiting restoration for various customers. I guess I better get busy.

2. Find a car cover. Shinoo and his Sector 111 are selling them. Believe it or not a fitted cover for the Elise is available on eBay for around $65! It is shipped from here in the USA! Unfortunately the quality is not as good as I want. I plan on buying some cotton sheets on sale and sewing my own.

3. Seat belt harness bar. I prefer a five or six point harness when I autocross. Finding a bar is high on my priority list. Anyone know of a good one? Are they well built? Safety is a high priority.

4. Oil pump upgrade and perhaps an Accusump. The Celica experience may suggest oiling is a challenge, so I will continue watching these threads and lurking on the 2ZZ-GE pages.

5. I could not wait for something colored Storm Titanium to be parked in the driveway so I bought a new Mazda MPV. Note how the wheels almost match those on the Elise....I know, a bit obsessive, but it will look kool parked next to the Elise, big and little...

6. Route planning. I am picking up my car in Southern California, Desert European, and driving it back to Northern California. I supposed I will follow the Pacific Coast, up through Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey and Santa Cruz. Highway One is a great way to start!

Luckily, I do not need to procure a loan or insurance, so that makes it easier to dream. How about you? What are you doing to get ready? Chase Cam? Wheels and sticky tires? 20,000 watt stereo with subwoofer in the trunk? (sorry...)

Michael

www.sandsmuseum.com

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Interesting thread. I *should* be doing a lot more, but I am too busy so I procrastinate.

Some things I want to do, require a car to make it easier. That would include designing the hitch for it to tow racing tires.

Car cover is on my list. Extra set of rims, though that will probably not happen soon.

Investigating sources for 3M film for the car.

Fire extinguisher.

I envy you that you *have* to drive up the coast. I only have a 20 mile drive home, I need an excuse to drive up 101/PCH.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by sandsmuseum
I am picking up my car in Southern California, Desert European...
what number are you at desert euro? i'm with newport euro and was thinking of puting a deposit at desert if the list is shorter and if i'll get my car sooner.
thanks!

[fire extinguisher, racing seat & harness, car cover]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am:

1) Moving cabinets from one garage wall to the opposite garage wall.
2) Buying race deck tiles (I've decided not to epoxy this time) and cover the floor
3) Install new lighting in the garage to take advantage of workshop space
4) Looking for a drive-on lift or portable lift so I can squeeze the Elise and 2 other cars into my 2 car garage
5) Finish rebuilding the Mustang SVO's motor so the car is mobile again. Will decide if I want to keep or sell that car later.

Luckily the home equity loan is already in place and I'm trying to pay-off my 2003 Mustang Mach 1 by the time the Elise arrives.

Bob

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Me, I'm looking to find a company that can put me in cryogenic storage until my elise arrives at which point I will be thawed out. Thats about the only way I can stand the wait. :)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Evl said:
Me, I'm looking to find a company that can put me in cryogenic storage until my elise arrives at which point I will be thawed out. Thats about the only way I can stand the wait. :)
Group buy! Group buy!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Getting ready

1) Selling stock - check
2) Selling Miata - check
3) Selling house -- oops need place to put Elise
4) Selling dogs -- naw won't get anything

Hmmmmm

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
1. Sell my MR2. :(

2. Finish remodeling the garage:
- The new sheetrock is hung, textured, and painted.
- New garage door has been installed, but needs nicer handles on it (I decided to forgo an electric opener as I don't like how they look hanging over the car).
- Need to finish the sheetrock on the wall with the garage door - patch two areas, texture, and paint.
- Finish painting a few spots on the ceiling that were uncovered when the old garage door opener was removed.
- Install baseboard trim and crown molding.
- Decide on a color for the trim (might color match the magnetic blue, if I can get a good sample from the dealer) and paint the baseboards, crown molding, and door/window trim.
- Install flooring. Probably using a grooved rubber mat under the car, with blue indoor/outdoor carpet around it.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Take a Skip Barber course at Lime Rock

Find a worthy wench for the passenger seat

Driving shoes

Fire extinguisher (you guys convinced me)

Car cover

Washing/waxing/detailing supplies

Try to keep my license clean until I get the car/insurance

Checked my credit report to make sure no mistakes

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Paying off bills and selling one of my bikes:

2002 MV Agusta (8,500 miles - $14K) OR
2002 Yamaha R1 (8.200 miles - $7.5K)

Having the Elise would sort of be like having 3.5 bikes. :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Any info on Lotus offering a fire extinguisher option? Regardless, where would it mount? Or does it just sit in the trunk?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
1 - Turn in Honda Lease
2 - Find a suitable car to hold me over
3 - Sell my place and buy a house with a garage, or
4 - Keep my place and buy a warehouse
5 - Buy lots of tools :D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Considering a shower cap. Waiting to see the price. May wait until after the car arrives to see how my Miata cockpit cover works.

Considering a Lotus key chain. Probably will order the one that Sector 111 offers, but waiting to see if I want to get a shower cap also.

Considering a Lotus parking only sign available on E-bay to put on the garage wall. Not sure I want to pay $20 plus shipping - perhaps for my birthday or Xmas.

In reality, no prep necessary for the car. Call me when it's ready, I'll pick it up and put it in the garage. The Miata can sit outside, if it doesn't die first from old age. Although we have a 3-car garage, the third slot is devoted to storage shelves for business supplies, business records and other junk, so no room for a car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1) Selling options.

2) Preparing self to fit in the car. When I first decided I might get an Elise if they came to the US I was at 330lb. I'm now at 230lb and dropping. I WILL weigh less than 200 when I first get into this car - a 40k car that you might not fit in is a great incentive!

3) Having the sidewalk in front of my house repaved to remove a high spot that the elise will probably not make it over. My MGB scrapes now, I assume this will be worse.

4) Selling a few of the other cars in the fleet. (MGB, Jeep)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
TheProton said:

2) Preparing self to fit in the car. When I first decided I might get an Elise if they came to the US I was at 330lb. I'm now at 230lb and dropping. I WILL weigh less than 200 when I first get into this car - a 40k car that you might not fit in is a great incentive!
That is awesome. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts