The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading this board for a very long time but never quite felt the need to register. However I now feel the need to ask this question

I am myself driving a modified Miata that pushes 226rwhp and over 200ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. The car weighs only 2300lbs and it is a beast. Brakes and suspension have been modified and I drive on R compound tires on the street.

The Elise is my dream car. I wanted it since the first time I heard about it (about 4 years ago). Now that it is so close to being available I wonder if it is worth it to trade in a paid Miata with massive power for an Elise. I know this board will say sure trade it in, but I was wondering if it really was worth it. I mean this is not your ordinary Miata. It's much faster, handles much better brakes much faster.

Anyway, what are you guys driving, do you feel like the Elise is the absolute way to go? What would you do if you were me?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
A perfect question for Jenn.

I can't answer what to do for you. You have to want the car I would think, because of a combination of some of these reasons-

1. It's a Lotus
2. It's more rare than a Miata.
3. It's lighter.
4. The styling.
5. Better handling.

The turbo Miata sounds like a beast for sure, and a good performer. But the Elise is about being less powerful and lighter and being faster on the track than the Miata.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lumn8r said:
Of course the correct answer is get the Elise and keep the Miata. You can't have too many toys in the garage.
That would be the perfect scenario. However, I can't afford that many toys right now. However, I might be able to afford aLotus 7 replica and the Miata.

That's another part of my problem. I could sell the Miata an buy an Elise. Sell the Miata and buy a 7 (very unlikely). Keep the Miata and buy a 7.

Geez, I wish I was richer so I could have all 3.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Miata's are good cars and I do like them. But the fact is it's a Mazda. No body gets excited when you say, "I drive a Mazda".
This is because of a few reasons:

1. They're far from rare.

2. They are inexpensive cars.

The Liz is rare and costly enough to keep it out of most high school kids hands.

We cannot judge the performance of your car because we have not driven it. Any car can be fast with enough money dumped into it. But regardless how much money you put in a Mazda, it will still be a Mazda.

Most here will buy the Lotus because they want something rare, something that performs on a different level and lastly because we want the badge and the heritage that goes with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drive a bone stock Miata as my daily driver. And even though its stock, I have a ton of fun driving it. I'm looking at getting an Elise or maybe a 550 Spyder or RSK Spyder clone. I've also looked at Seven Replicas but decided against it. BTW, if you are interested in Seven clones, check out the WCM Ultralite at www.wcmultralite.com . Its a modernized Seven with either a 1.8 Miata motor, a Hyabusa motorcycle motor or an S2000 motor!. Besides choosibng a particular car, my next descision is wether to sell my Miata or keep it. Chances are I'll sell it but the Miata is such a fun, reliable daily driver that I just might keep it ..... too many descisions!

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Too bad the WCM Ultralight looks like butt - big hairy dog butt at that. The Ariel Atom is the best looking 7 clone. The Chateram is nice and retro. The Super 7 is a good retro one too - it's the luxury version cause it has a heater. :cool:

I'm thinking of getting a 7. The Original 7 can go for less than $10k. Pretty cool and still a fast car. I've realized that I want a real sports car, not a bastardized sport/luxury car. The biggest issue with getting a 7 is that I don't have a garage and that would not be cool to park a 7 on the street every night.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to agree, the WCM is very ugly. Where can I get info on the Ariel Atom?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Looks like a F1600 but should be a nice performer.

I guess I'm back to my original idea, keep the Miata and get a Super7 Hayabusa. Should be a nice combo.

I really want an Elise but I can't justify it based on performance alone. Looks and prestige is way ahead of the Miata. But the power/weight ratio on the Miata is better than the Elise. Also, witht the modified suspension, agressive alignement and ultra sticky RA1 tires, even the handling of the Miata is not far off if at all. Add the fact the Elise doesn't come with a LSD and the extra payments over my paid Miata (around 30,000can$), as much as I want the Elise, it doesn't make any sense money and performance wise.

I'll keep on lurking and might even give up and buy one someday, but I'll try to focus on the 7 for now. Maybe if someone comes up and offer a good price on my car I might find myself in an Elise sooner than I think. Who knows?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
MotorCade said:
I can't get Ariel's website to open, but here's some info on the atom... note: not a seven replica.

http://formen.ign.com/news/28626.html?fromint=1

Cade
Hehehe Did I say that???? Noo..... (Oooops)

www.arielmotor.co.uk

Yeah, it's not a replica & after spending some time actually "reading" their website instead of glossing over the pretty pictures (Playboy Syndrome?) it isn't a replica. But it does fit into the the really little kind of 2 seater fast driving thing catagory....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Darth G-F said:
Thanks! Looks like a F1600 but should be a nice performer.

I guess I'm back to my original idea, keep the Miata and get a Super7 Hayabusa. Should be a nice combo.

I really want an Elise but I can't justify it based on performance alone. Looks and prestige is way ahead of the Miata. But the power/weight ratio on the Miata is better than the Elise. Also, witht the modified suspension, agressive alignement and ultra sticky RA1 tires, even the handling of the Miata is not far off if at all. Add the fact the Elise doesn't come with a LSD and the extra payments over my paid Miata (around 30,000can$), as much as I want the Elise, it doesn't make any sense money and performance wise.

I'll keep on lurking and might even give up and buy one someday, but I'll try to focus on the 7 for now. Maybe if someone comes up and offer a good price on my car I might find myself in an Elise sooner than I think. Who knows?
I'm in the exact same boat you are - my Miata puts down about 300 rwhp, and is almost exclusively a track toy. Ironically, I got the miata because I had a deposit on a Super 7 Superlight R (Basically a caterham with 200+ hp and carbon fibre everything to lighten it up for track use) that ended up taking 8 months to even get delivered (causing me to miss the whole track season) so I letthe dealer eat the deposit and boughtthe MIata...

Anyway, after hemming and hawing, I put my name on the Austin, TX list (Autostrada) this past weekend with the intention of using it as a fun road car (yeah -- I'll be the one with the leather and the ac and the radio -- so sue me) since if I wreck the MIata on track I'm likely looking at far less $$ to fix...

I'm still undecided if the Elise will replace or complement my Esprit S4s however...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
this past weekend with the intention of using it as a fun road car (yeah -- I'll be the one with the leather and the ac and the radio -- so sue me) since if I wreck the MIata on track I'm likely looking at far less $$ to fix...
That is kinda my situation. I decided to go with a shifter kart for pure racing and save the Elise for gentle :) track days and autocrossing.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Randy Chase said:
That is kinda my situation. I decided to go with a shifter kart for pure racing and save the Elise for gentle :) track days and autocrossing.

Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks Randy! I'ma longtime lurker, but figured I'd get involved since I actuallyput a deposit down..

I'm in San Diego too, BTW. Will look forward to seeing you at some events..
James

·
Registered
687 Posts
Darth G-F said:
[...](around 30,000can$)[...]
You didn't mention you were in Canada. I didn't hear that the Elise was going to be sold in Canada. Are you going to be able to import it?

You may not be able to get the Elise at all, so maybe you don't have to decide whether or not to get rid of your Miata.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Lotus dealer said this shouldn't be a problem and they are taking deposits. I was #1 on the list but then decided to back off. I am too confused right now and I will just wait and see i guess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I drive a 2000 Audi S4 for everday use and I'll be keeping it because of the 4 doors and AWD.

But in order to get the Elise, I'd have to part with a low mileage concours condition '90 BMW M3 & a new Ducati 998S Bayliss. Both would be damn near impossible to replace.

Am I nuts for even thinking about getting rid of 2 part-time toys in order to get 1 full-time toy?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
Am I nuts for even thinking about getting rid of 2 part-time toys in order to get 1 full-time toy?
Yes, you are nuts. ;)

Keep the e30. Unload the 998 and S4.

Ducatis are becoming like Harleys. There are plenty of 'em owned by guys who barely put any mileage on them. BTW: I currently ride a M900S and have been riding Ducks since '93. The Bayliss is a special edition but they are available and really don't perform any better than a 998S. But I would recommend that you replace it with another lower cost bike or you will sorely miss riding(I was when I temporarily got out of the sport).

If you want to sell the e30 please contact me via PM.

Free up some assets and get the Elise. It is the closest thing to riding a 4 wheel motorcyle.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts