The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about the Sport Pack for the Elise? I'm considering this car as mostly a sporty (almost) daily driver and weekend toy. I'm not an experienced track driver at all, so I'm not sure if I need it, and it may make the ride too harsh on the street. I'm sure that I will track this car, but I doubt the suspension will be my limit for a long time.

Lotus lists the following features in the package:
- Lighter wheels
- Yokohama AD07 Advan tires
- Sport tuned suspension
- Twin Oil Coolers
- Traction Control
- ProBax seats

I don't particularly care about the tires, since it's a wear item, so the question is do I want another oil cooler, or the ProBax seats? Is oil heat a problem in this car? A search didn't turn up much. Are the touring package seats better or worse than these ProBax seats?

Basically, I'm choosing between two Elise SC's, one of which has the sport pack, and the other doesn't (but it does have traction control).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As its a sporty car.....it should be as sporty as possible, if you are getting the Lotus for a squishy ride. Buy something else.

I have the sports pack and would highly recommend it.

My original reason for it: Lighter wheels, and extra oil cooler.

My reason after 1 year of lotus love: Traction Control.....I use my lotus as a daily driver, and the TC comes in handy when it finally decides to rain. Or there is some other friction hazard on the road. The better tires help for this as well. I have seen many people complain about the lotus in the rain, and my only conclusion is that they must not have TC or the A048's as I think the lotus is safer than most cars in the rain with the above items.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I had it on mine and I completely agree with both of the above comments. Why wouldn't you want the most sporting expression of the car that's available from the factory?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
as someone who had a non-sport pack 05 elise and now has a sport-pack 08 SC, I can tell you I have no regrets.Love the handling, dont think the ride is significantly harsher...I didnt want 048s on my car so the SC sport pack combo of lighter wheels with the AD07s was just what I wanted also...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the extra oil cooler get you?..i drove my 2005 non-sport-pack hard for about seven hours this weekend and was surprised to see it running a couple degrees cooler than typical daily driving and long-distance touring...

...is it just that the radiator is more efficient at triple-digit speeds, and that a second oil cooler would serve a completely unrelated purpose?..

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
First the Sports Pack...........

People will complain all day about how much rougher the Sports Pack is than the normal suspension but it's a total load of crap. Their perception is based on reviews written by knuckleheads who just got done testing a Buick Enclave.

The Sports Pack is only 10% stiffer than the normal suspension and frankly most of the people I took on test drives couldn't tell the difference in ride comfort and only knew it was a sports pack car because I said something. What the Sports Pack does do is change the bias from a slight understeer to a slight oversteer. This is what you need to focus on. For beginners (first time sports car owners or track drivers), the standard suspension is better to learn on because it offers more warning when you approach the limits of the vehicle. The Sports Pack is much more rewarding but, again, you can get yourself into trouble much easier with it.

For 2008, the Sports pack has become a real value since it added Exige Style Sports seats on the Elise, harness bar, rear track brace, adjustible anti-sway bar and traction control. Essentially you are getting everything from last years track pack minus the dampers plus the traction control and seats for only a couple of hundred more than last year! The Probax Seats are standard across the line but the Sport Pack cars add the Exige style seat with pass-thrus for the harnesses.

To address the oil cooler question, the car only needs the second oil cooler if it is going to be tracked. It really doesn't do anything for you when driving around town. Your cooling this past weekend was likely due more to running the air conditioning which starts the fan automatically rather than waiting for the car to heat up to the point when it starts it normally.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I love it. I tested a '08 SC without it recently and could feel marginally less grip up front immediately.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I changed my car over to semi-LSS spec by swapping out the shocks and wheels/A048/R888. The LSS front tire section width increase (+20mm) definitely adds a bit more steering wheel resistance on low-speed turning. The little 175mm fronts on the standard set-up steers much more easily at low speed. I also preceived a little more harshness on compression when going over bumps in the road when I initially made the switch, but that's miles behind now.. (this is an effect of the 10% increase in stiffness that Robert speaks of above) Although there is also some height adjustment on the standard bilstein shock bodies, the LSS bodies allow for a 5mm or so lower ride height then standard- not much, but wheel to fender gap is noticably less, IMHO..

I auto-x a bit, so I wanted the sticker tires and a little more rotation in the corners, so the LSS swap was a good choice for me. The really good drivers on here will tell you that the standard set-up is very adequate for auto-x type events, but I needed something to cover up my lack of ability.. :)

I think you should go for it. It's a road-going racecar afterall..

- Allen.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
It depends what your goals are....and if you are into modding your car...

Coming from an LSS option on my '05 Elise, I changed out everything...if tracking becomes a priority, you may end up upgrading suspension, wheels, tires, and seats anyway...

I changed my Bilsteins to Ohlins, and changed out wheels, tires, and seats...

So my opinion is if you daily it, why not get a more comfortable ride?
If you decide to track it, you can always upgrade the suspension or wheels, etc....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First the Sports Pack...........

People will complain all day about how much rougher the Sports Pack is than the normal suspension but it's a total load of crap. Their perception is based on reviews written by knuckleheads who just got done testing a Buick Enclave.

The Sports Pack is only 10% stiffer than the normal suspension and frankly most of the people I took on test drives couldn't tell the difference in ride comfort and only knew it was a sports pack car because I said something. What the Sports Pack does do is change the bias from a slight understeer to a slight oversteer. This is what you need to focus on. For beginners (first time sports car owners or track drivers), the standard suspension is better to learn on because it offers more warning when you approach the limits of the vehicle. The Sports Pack is much more rewarding but, again, you can get yourself into trouble much easier with it.

For 2008, the Sports pack has become a real value since it added Exige Style Sports seats on the Elise, harness bar, rear track brace, adjustible anti-sway bar and traction control. Essentially you are getting everything from last years track pack minus the dampers plus the traction control and seats for only a couple of hundred more than last year! The Probax Seats are standard across the line but the Sport Pack cars add the Exige style seat with pass-thrus for the harnesses.

To address the oil cooler question, the car only needs the second oil cooler if it is going to be tracked. It really doesn't do anything for you when driving around town. Your cooling this past weekend was likely due more to running the air conditioning which starts the fan automatically rather than waiting for the car to heat up to the point when it starts it normally.

Thanks for that post. I was about to ask what the change in suspension feels like. Does it make that big a difference in the handling (not including the stickeir A048's). So I wouldn't gain that much of a difference by chaning the shocks on my non-sports pack elise alone. Always wonder how different it would be.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Are the sport pack wheels still wider than the standard wheels? if so, The wider wheels gives you a much larger selection of tires. My car has the sports pack and sometimes I feel it is a bit rough and other times I feel it is too soft, this means the balance is probably about right...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
ok, first, i am not a knucklehead. second, there is a big difference between the the two, and on the street, the base is much nicer. on the track, unless you are mega, you won't get much more out of the car for the compromise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have an '06 Lotus Sport Elise, which was the most extreme factory Elise set up. I would say that while I enjoy the hard core race car feel of my car, the base car I drove was perfect for a daily driven real world sports car. If I had gotten that, for sure my elise would be driven much more than it is, and I cannot say for sure that I wouldn't have been better off with it over all.

HPDEs made it clear that limitation is all mine, not the car's so before you go maximizing the car's talent's be sure of your own and whether the base car wouldn't be better match of your talents and needs than the sport pack.

But I cannot comment on how the base suspension compares to the Sport or track packs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for that post. I was about to ask what the change in suspension feels like. Does it make that big a difference in the handling (not including the stickeir A048's). So I wouldn't gain that much of a difference by chaning the shocks on my non-sports pack elise alone. Always wonder how different it would be.
I think Lotus knows suspension/tires combo set up better than anyone, for general public use. Therefore, they combine Bilstein/AD07 for standard model, and Ohlins/A048 for sport version.

I don't think mixing up these combo will make the car handle better, it's actually could make it worse.

my $.02

·
Registered
44 Posts
A good thing to ask yourself is what type of driving are you going to be doing with the car. If you feel you are just going to use it as a weekend car for spirited drives then you may not have a need for the sports pack. Give us a few more details on what your planning to use the vehicle for and we will have a better idea of what you will probably need.

thanks,

Jordan

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own a standard suspension elise and test drove both the sport and standard beforehand. in the brief time I had driving both on city streets, the sport pack was noticeable stiffer and i immediately decided that for my primary use of the vehicle (daily driver) i would be much happier with the standard suspension. I do, however, like the look of the sport wheels so I might upgrade those in the future but as far as upgrading to sport suspension, I have no interest whatsoever. Standard feels sporty enough for me ;)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I think Lotus knows suspension/tires combo set up better than anyone, for general public use. Therefore, they combine Bilstein/AD07 for standard model, and Ohlins/A048 for sport version.

I don't think mixing up these combo will make the car handle better, it's actually could make it worse.

my $.02
Bilsteins are on the sport package. The Ohlins are part of the Ohlin suspension package Elise (Lotus Sport Elise), Cup Car and 2-Eleven. They are available as an additional dealer add on. In all applications, they come with the AO48s. The SPort Pack has come with both the AO48s and now with the AD07.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts