The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people refer to them as "a crotch rocket with a Harley motor". A co-worker turned me on to them a while back and they have been in my head ever since.

I have been reading up on the xb9sx and though they aren't perfect, the reviews are mostly favorable. On top of that, I think they look sexy as hell :drool:. Anyone here have experience with this or other models? All input is welcome.

xb9sx:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Now that they started to use non-Harley motors, they are getting pretty good.

Harley guys don't seem to like them around. They do not perform like other bikes in their class. They also look different.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that they started to use non-Harley motors, they are getting pretty good.
I didn't realize this. They are still sold at the HD stores and the salesman I spoke with said that HD owns a certain percentage of Buell stock. I wonder if they will transition to something other than V-twins in the future. I am not in the position to buy anything right now, I'm just researching. I want to have all my homework done if/when I step to the plate.

They also look different.
In my opinion that is a GOOD thing.

Noble

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Buells are Harleys. Harley bought out Buell in 99 or so (wikipedia it) :p

I love Buells, my first bike was a baby Buell (a Blast):
1) Innovative and useful design (low exhaust, center of mass thinking, etc.)
2) Torque
3) A good dealership network (any Harley Dealer!)

But here is some bullsh*t you'll have to deal with:
1) Harley guys don't always acknowledge you and some hate your bike because it "looks like a Harley fcuked a GSX-R and that's what came out"
2) Metric bike guys don't always acknowledge you and some hate on your bike because it's a Harley

Yeah you're sort of the odd man out alot if you ride a Buell, unless you're riding with other Buell riders :D

I love the XB12S and XB9S, the city (9SX) is pretty cool too though, I just don't know if I'd "need" the handguards except during the colder months.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A friend has a new one (no idea what model) with a Rotax engine. I've always thought of them as the Pontiac Aztecs of the bike world. Nothing wrong with them - just a little odd.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Buells are Harleys. Harley bought out Buell in 99 or so (wikipedia it) :p

I love Buells, my first bike was a baby Buell (a Blast):
1) Innovative and useful design (low exhaust, center of mass thinking, etc.)
2) Torque
3) A good dealership network (any Harley Dealer!)

But here is some bullsh*t you'll have to deal with:
1) Harley guys don't always acknowledge you and some hate your bike because it "looks like a Harley fcuked a GSX-R and that's what came out"
2) Metric bike guys don't always acknowledge you and some hate on your bike because it's a Harley

Yeah you're sort of the odd man out alot if you ride a Buell, unless you're riding with other Buell riders :D

I love the XB12S and XB9S, the city (9SX) is pretty cool too though, I just don't know if I'd "need" the handguards except during the colder months.
Thanks. The local dealer only had the 1125R (two of them) the last time I was there, I'd probably do nothing but get myself into trouble with such a thing which is why I am researching the XB9SX. There is one that is parked out in front of a local business here in town everyday, I've been meaning to go talk up the owner about it.

Yeah you're sort of the odd man out alot if you ride a Buell, unless you're riding with other Buell riders
I am sort of odd anyway so maybe it was meant to be rotfl

Noble

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
A friend has a new one (no idea what model) with a Rotax engine. I've always thought of them as the Pontiac Aztecs of the bike world. Nothing wrong with them - just a little odd.
If you friend has a Rotax powered one, 'tis the 1125R.

Hey Buells are sexy, Pontiac Aztecs are fugly!

I know alot of us are fans of function so I would advise anyone looking at Buells to consider all this (watch the videos):

Buell Motorcycles | Browser Compatibility

I met Erik this spring and spent the better part of 2 hours listening and talking with him.

If I had it my way I'd have an XB12S in the garage alongside my metric bike, I figure I'll give it some time and Buell ownership may happen again :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
For what they are..........they are cool. Its not a GSXR, its not a harley. If your looking for the fastest or best handling bike built, then look elsewhere. If your looking for something diffrent and fun to ride, then the Buell is for you. I like em because not everybody has one, but Id rather stick with my Italians.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Italians eh? :) fits in well with work that's for shizzle! hehehe

As far as Buells not being the fastest or best handling, how many of us are the best riding? :D

I suspect that a talented rider on a Buell (on the street, where most of us ride) can hang with most people on [insert_metric_bike_here]s. I do like the low-end/midrange torque that the H-D motors provide.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
its like taking a modern bike and putting a 1920's engine in it...

if you want an actual fast bike then get one... they are probably cheaper

the thing that gets me about Vtwin engines is that because they have like a 10 degree separation in timing from one cylinder to the other they have these MASSIVE flywheels so the thing can actually run which is HORRIBLE for performance.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
SweetDaddyD has one so I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
if i was to get one, it would have to be the 1125r or whatever its called.
their latest and greatest.
is it a "good" bike? theyre all "good" bikes.
is it the best bike for the money?
no.
is it the fastest in its class?
no.
does it handle the best?
probably not.

i sure do think theyre cool looking.
ive owned several gsxrs, zx9s, vfrs, etc.....every punk has one.
hell, i think even phlypside has one...:)

if i was going to buy a sportbike now, id look at the buell and the new hayabusa.
never ridden a buell, but i know i loved my busa.

i would hope that buell can wheelie like a mofo!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
One of my track buddies races a Buell. The mid-range torque and power on a V-twin is a wonderful thing. They aren't as technologically refined as the other sport bikes, but there is no reason to sell them short.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
if i was to get one, it would have to be the 1125r or whatever its called.
their latest and greatest.
is it a "good" bike? theyre all "good" bikes.
is it the best bike for the money?
no.
is it the fastest in its class?
no.
does it handle the best?
probably not.

i sure do think theyre cool looking.
ive owned several gsxrs, zx9s, vfrs, etc.....every punk has one.
hell, i think even phlypside has one...:)

if i was going to buy a sportbike now, id look at the buell and the new hayabusa.
never ridden a buell, but i know i loved my busa.

i would hope that buell can wheelie like a mofo!
Bahahaha I have a rice rocket and love it! It's all Moto44's fault! hahahahah

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The way I see it, there is a very small percentage of motorcycle riders who would even be able to extract everything a sport bike has to offer. I am not one of those people, so I don't feel like I need a bike designed on the cutting edge of technology who's capabilities are so far out of my reach anyway. It would be wasted if I'm the guy in the saddle. The 1125r is pretty sweet though.

Noble

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The best thing is that you can get a test ride of a Buell, something that isn't possible with most other sport bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts