Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
example... running a 245 on a 10.5 wheel

1 2 3 GO! :wave:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Baaaaaad! Tires, particularly tires like our cars use, are designed for a narrow range of rim widths. Anything outside of this range is both dangerous and will deteriorate performance.

Jerry

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's a European style thing. Personally I think it's dumb.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
On second look that tires like new
Stretching is not good, but that looks WAY F-ed up
How much wider is the rim as to the tire?
How many miles do you think that lasted?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Idiotic in my opinion and should be illegal since a blow out can take out other vehichles

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I feel stupider for reading what that is all about.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I feel stupider for reading what that is all about.
Being from Texas, you should be familiar with the word for a car with such tires installed: "car-o." Used in phrases such as, "Aw man, don't lean on mi car-o, esé!"
:sad:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
It's a European style thing. Personally I think it's dumb.
I always thought it was more a Mexican styled thing. Popular on lowriders.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think it looks silly, but I've hear it does have a purpose from some friends of mine. If the sidewalls are stretched they can't flex. If they don't flex drifters have better control. Better control means winning compititions.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sorry but unless you have an FC3S, S13, S14, or AE86, WTF are you stretching tires for? :D

If you have any of the above cars and stretched tires, you better know how to drift too :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Its a style thing, but as a former tire engineer for Goodyears racing division it really makes me laugh. Certain sports car series for classic cars require you to run the original rim width, so we were constantly designing tires that were "too wide" to work with the older, narrower rims; the exact opposite school of thought. If designed correctly (most attention payed to a super stiff sidewall), those oversized tires actually performed quite well at proper tire pressures on the narrow rims. At least those racers realized more tire meant better grip levels, this stretched tire fad is quite sad in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Drifters don't care too much about Grip. It's pretty much the opposite style of driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts