The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need a special bolt/bit wrench to remove my center console and my console in between the back seats? How do I remove my radio cover thing?

I'm painting all of these parts.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I am doing the same thing right now. Go to the "the Library" Interior the instructions I used are there. Side note when painting the AC surround try to limit the paint in the "slides" in the bottom of it BC if you don't it will be a PITA to get it back on.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Do I need a special bolt/bit wrench to remove my center console and my console in between the back seats? How do I remove my radio cover thing?

I'm painting all of these parts.
The side center console screws are a common Torx bit, T6 maybe? You must pull the emergency brake handle up HARD as far as you can. There are allen screws on the bottom of the handle...after removing, it will slide through the slot. Snip the tie on the shift boot, disconnect the flasher button connector (and LSD if you have.)

The upper/between the seats set is regular phillips, starting with the screw in the bottom of the 'cup holder.' Unplug the cig lighter leads.

A/C surround see here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/cf-c-surround-installation-18202/

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
You can use an allen wrench to get the torx screws out. Just try different sizes until you find one the fits.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You can use an allen wrench to get the torx screws out. Just try different sizes until you find one the fits.
:thwack:

Henceforth, you shall be known as "Goldilocks!"
rotfl

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The side center console screws are a common Torx bit, T6 maybe? You must pull the emergency brake handle up HARD as far as you can. There are allen screws on the bottom of the handle...after removing, it will slide through the slot. Snip the tie on the shift boot, disconnect the flasher button connector (and LSD if you have.)

The upper/between the seats set is regular phillips, starting with the screw in the bottom of the 'cup holder.' Unplug the cig lighter leads.

A/C surround see here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/cf-c-surround-installation-18202/
Hmm I'm having second thoughts on doing this... seems like I'll break something or mess something up. Snip the tie? eek-eek-

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Hmm I'm having second thoughts on doing this... seems like I'll break something or mess something up. Snip the tie? eek-eek-
It's easy, honestly. Also, well worth it. The grey plastic looks like crap without paint. Just be careful when you pull out the A/C surround or you can snap the plastic tabs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It'll take you 10 minutes tops. It's easy and I've done it 3 times now for various reasons. When you pull out the AC surround, there are 4 or 5 screws that hold on the actual controls. Don't lose the screws, they're tiny :)

Same thing with the back part of the center console. The back part is 2 pieces. One sits inside the other. A single screw hold it in place and once you remove that one, there are 2 screws that hold the bottom section in place. Again, don't lose the screws :) I dropped one and it disappeared into an opening never to be seen again.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took off the top part of my rear center console - then I saw the 2 screws and knew I'd lose them because I don't have a magnetic screwdriver. I also don't have a clue how to unfasten the cigarette lighter thing.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
The whole thing is really easy, except for reattaching the shift boot to the console. There are four little black metal clips that must be put back on blind, purely by feel, while laying on your side with your knees on the floor. If its a new shift boot, be prepared for sore fingers and possibly going to hell for the cursing. Oh yeah, one of the four clips always gets dropped and vanishes, but three will hold, and the other one will reappear some day.
The 'cigarette lighter thing' remains in the plastic 'cupholder thing', the wires easily unclip.

It's well worth it, I've done it at least four times (shifter mod, painting, install B&M shifter, repair B&M shifter). Chuck Risen does an awesome job painting.

Takeoffw.jpg

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The whole thing is really easy, except for reattaching the shift boot to the console.
Why wouldn't you attach the shifter boot to the console before reinstalling the console in the car? You can tie wrap the boot to the shifter just before reattaching the wires to the switches in the console... that's the way I did it when I put the leather wrapped console in my car...

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Why wouldn't you attach the shifter boot to the console before reinstalling the console in the car? You can tie wrap the boot to the shifter just before reattaching the wires to the switches in the console... that's the way I did it when I put the leather wrapped console in my car...
Anyone can do it the easy way.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
I got the console to back covered in leather locally for $200. Quieter, softer for my leg, better looking imho. Took 2 days for guy to cover w/a bit a padding beneath it. Just a thought...

·
Registered
257 Posts
What's the trick to getting the console back in? I took it out with minimal difficulty to install the LETSLA, but now I can't get the darn thing back in over the shift lever and the hand brake. All I can find in searches is "put it back in the reverse way you took it out." That's not working for me.

Is there some magical combination of positions for the handbrake and the shift lever that will allow the console to slip back on?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I seem to recollect that the hand brake has to be pulled up as far as possible and then just tug. I remember is was not that easy.
Michael
What's the trick to getting the console back in? I took it out with minimal difficulty to install the LETSLA, but now I can't get the darn thing back in over the shift lever and the hand brake. All I can find in searches is "put it back in the reverse way you took it out." That's not working for me.

Is there some magical combination of positions for the handbrake and the shift lever that will allow the console to slip back on?

·
Registered
143 Posts

If you look inside the console you will see a cutout in the lip that surrounds the shifter. Pull the handbrake up as far as you can, slip the console over it and work the top of the shift lever towards the gap - it will just slip past....:coolnana:

Took me a frustrating 45 mins to discover this....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts