The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To introduce myself, I am restoring a production racing Europa but am after some advice on upgrading the engine as I have now got round to working on it. I want a tractable engine on mildish tune so I recon I'm after about 150.bhp.
I have the head being rebuilt and gas flowed and my engine tuner suggests piper 270 camshafts to replace the std big valve sprint cams and recons that that will produce a good tractable motor with the gas flowed head. I will be upgrading the bid end bolts and keeping the std 40mm dellortos.
I am just after advice from others, if this is the right upgrade? Or ny other views. Comments definitely welcome.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
The QED cams are quite good.

I had a used engine build by them at it was very, very good.

OP, you need to get the Miles Wilkins book, the definitive volume on Twin Cams.

Really worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, the QED 420 does look a decent cam, not too wild, I will be doing a bit more digging I think on people's views. I have got the miles wilkins book, bed time reading.
Will feed back where I have got up to.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
bump on the comment for lotuselan.net. Check posts by Rohan.
bump on the comment about John at Omnitech as well.

On my twink I went with 10.5:1 pistons, and cams reground by D. Elgin at 290 duration and 430 lift. The head is ported and I am using a Dave Bean long secondary tube header. On pump gas, 80 degree day in Denver (5280 ft)and full exhaust we measured 122 hp at the rear wheels at about 6500 rpm. We estimate around 140 hp at the flywheel. I do not have a full steel bottom end since this is just a road car with occasional autocross and maybe a track day after I install a roll bar. It weighs in at 1496 pounds with a couple gallons of gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts