The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Apexi Power FC is fully programmable and would work in a Lotus Elise/Exige... with wiring changes. It's a darned shame this wasn't easier to do in a Lotus, but it is possible, according to my friend Little Rocket. Power FC is plug and play with most cars, including other cars which use the 2ZZ-GE engine. Long story short, I have a 2ZZ in my MR2 Spyder and developed this very capable software for it. Lots of bells and whistles, including auto tuning, gauges, plots of all types, replay, etc. I've talked about it before on this site, mostly in other people's topics on ECUs. One such topic on aftermarket ECUs I spied today, so I decided to post about my software for the Power FC (about $700) and Datalogit (a PC/Power FC interface that sells for a little over $300).

At one point I had hopes of selling the software to a wider group of enthusiasts (Lotus folks), but I think because of the wiring work required, not that many people would be interested, so it I made it free again (I only sold it for a little while after giving it away for almost 2 years). Not too long ago I made it open source (but the latest source code isn't out there yet... I'm still putting improvements in).

Topic on Spyderchat about the software: http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45059

An example of what you can do with it (and some pics of my mutant 2ZZ swapped Spyder) is here: http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49920

If you follow those instructions, you should be able to replay a short drive and see windows with video, G forces, gauges, and lots of plots.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes, it is just loaded with features. I did everything I could think of other than a Find the Max Power feature, which would try variations on AFR, ignition timing, and valve timing, keeping track of HP for each cell. It could only be done on a dyno (or possibly on a perfectly flat road) with the same conditions.

It is a real Australian redback spider encased in there. They don't make those shift knobs anymore.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to Deal's Gap this past weekend and did some Power FC data, accelerometer, GPS, air/fuel ratio, and video recording. Everything except the video is integrated in the data log (you have to synch up the video at present, which is a pain).

It was an MR2 Spyder meet called SADAS (Spyders and Dragons and Snakes) by tradition. An Elise/Spyder owner was also there in his CO Elise.

Here's a screenshot of replaying one of the data logs I made with my software, plus one of videos I made using a cheapo VGA camera mounted to the top of the A pillar:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts