The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does BRP just have a split personality when it comes to its color? In some photos, I really like the color, and in others, I don't. I know that the lighting makes a difference, but the photos make it look like a very large difference (larger than camera differences could explain). For those who own a BRP or have seen it under difference conditions, could you please comment? I am trying to decide if this is the color for me.

I really like the look of BRP in these photos - nice deep, rich red:
http://tbas2k.com/fgcl/dayatdimmitt/IMG_9609.jpg

http://tbas2k.com/fgcl/dayatdimmitt/IMG_9612.jpg

But I don't care for the look in these photos - looks more like maroon.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=97142

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=97272

I would really love to see a BRP car in person in both sun and shade. I live near San Diego, but I haven't seen one at the local dealer (Symbolic).

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,633 Posts
I've seen it in person twice now and its always looked maroon to me. However, I've never seen it in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
1st link doesn't work for me. But the color does NOT look like the 2nd one.

Neil

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pinmagic said:
1st link doesn't work for me. But the color does NOT look like the 2nd one.
You guys are fast! Responded even before I fixed the links.
Links are now fixed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am between BRP and Laser Blue, both vary highly by light and need to see in person. I want more red less maroon!!

If anyone wants to drive into Manhattan to show me in person that would be great, Chicago also since that is where I live I am just stuck working in NY.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It does take on different looks in different light.

It's definitely darker than the first 2 pics (those have too much bright red in them), but not as dark as the last 2.

Are you sure the last pic isn't Aubergine? That pic's REALLY dark.

Funny thing - when I put on my sunglasses, the color looks more like the first 2 pics! I really like the color, when I look at it thru my sunglasses.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A saw it last week and to me it looked kind of ruby colored. It was across the showroom from a dark red Maserati which made the Elise look very pinky.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Dark red cars have never really been my thing. I ordered this to try something new, and cause I saw some great-looking pics on the internet.

But I must say that, when I took it to a car show last week, it really stood out. So many of the cars were bright red, yellow, or blue. Mine was the only darker color there. I got a lot of compliments on the color -- some people practically drooled over this shade of red, telling me their next car will be this color, or that it was their favorite color in the show.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
the 3rd and forth pics are aubergine!!!:p

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
my dealers demo is BRP and in the showroom it looks dark but when i took my test drive:D it was a sunny day and it looked beautiful :bow: nice and red

·
Registered
963 Posts
I took the first two photos, it was about 1pm in sunny Florida sun (when there isn't a hurricane). The car looked to me exactly how it does in the photos. A deep rich red color. I went back in the evening to take another look at it, about 6pm, and it looked way darker. The direction of the sun and the placement of the camera (or your eyes) make a big difference in the color of the car.

I think it's a very cool color.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The color is hard to capture with a digital camera as they cannot record the same colors, gradations and brightness ranges that we can perceive "live". And this particular color is very light sensitive. It looks it's best away from midday in my opinion - because then you get all the contrasting colors at the same time. Something like 10 am or after 3 PM are good times to observe it in the Sun to get the full range of it's looks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
All those pictures are true representations of BRP. It can look very different depending on the ambient light. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.

I was at the dealer yesterday and had the opportunity to check out a SY car and KG. KG is very very bright... SO bright I think your eyes will tire of it fairly quickly... In fact it is so bright that if you stare at a KG car for a about 30 seconds and then look away you will still see the car, kinda like what happens if you stare at a light bulb and then look away.
SY looked very nice indeed, far better than any of the photos I've seen, a very nice deep yellow.

That said and done IMO no color looks as classy as BRP on the Elise.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I REALLY MUST see a BRP in person in sun and shade. I live near San Diego, but can drive up to the LA or Riverside area easy. We can meet at a neutral spot where I can buy you lunch for letting me drool all over your car (will will bring microwipes to catch the drool before it touches the car - I am an enthusiast, after all). I also live near some good twisty roads in the Romona area, if you would like me to navigate for you on a drive in the area.

Please, any voluteers? How about other colors: Ardent Red, Laser Blue and Magnetic Blue. Along with BRP, these are my top 4 color choices. Will any of these be going to Qualcomm for Autox this Saturday morning? What colors are planning to be in attendance?

Of course, if Shinoo would paint and sell large paint samples (6 inch square or larger), I would be glad to buy or rent a few of my favorites to try them out (like carpet samples).

I will be living with this paint for at least 15 years. I want to get it right.

--Going nuts in Ramona
:huh:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>But I don't care for the look in these photos - looks more like maroon. http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/att...s=&postid=97142
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/att...s=&postid=97272 <<<

Photography issue....the white balance is off in the two shots above...notice how "blue" the pavement looks... You can fix this in Photoshop...here is a different shot showing late afternoon sun on BRP...correcting oversteer...and our autocross nemesis, the Corvette ZO6, can be seen in the background. I think BRP looks it's best with light hitting it from an angle as opposed to from above. That way you see more colors, highlights and shadows.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I've seen BRP in the flesh (JamesA's) and it made me realize how different the Elise looks in each different color. I think the word I am looking for to describe BRP is "rich." It just looks beatiful. It was the first Elise I saw with a hardtop but I thought the color was stunning!

Here's a pic I took from my Elise on the way back from the Dragon's Tail. Sorry for the lack of focus. It's quite challenging to do things other than drive in the Elise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took some nice photos of BRP/Biscuit at the Denver dealer when I was there last month, and thought I would share. The photos are with a flash, and look about what it looked to my eye (at least, on my monitor). The paint should be brighter when in the sun.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts