The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of cars being more expensive to get in some countries so i was just wondering where cars were cheapest

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
The Times
January 11, 2008

Tata Nano - world's cheapest new car is unveiled in India
Indian media and business officials surround the newly unveiled Tata car

A team of 500 people worked on creating the Nano - Tata aims to prove that India can compete on the world market as an innovative car maker

It is 3 metres long, seats four comfortably or five at a squeeze, does 65mph and aims to revolutionise travel for millions. The “People’s Car” is also the cheapest in the world at 100,000 rupees (£1,300) – the same price as the DVD player in a Lexus.

The Nano, from Tata, the Indian conglomerate bidding for Jaguar and Land Rover, was unveiled at the Delhi Auto Expo yesterday to music from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Ratan Tata, the company chairman, harked back to the first flight by the Wright Brothers and the Moon landing as he revealed the cute, snub-nosed hatchback that will allow millions in India’s emerging middle classes to buy a car for the first time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Actually I think he's asking in which country is the price to buy a car the cheapest. For example, a brand new Mercedes that would cost $50K in the US, would cost about $65K in the UK, and would cost about $100K in Singapore, all prices for the exact same car. It's a factor of both currency value and taxes/fees.

To OP's question: :shrug: I would assume the country with the cheapest currency and a small government budget, maybe some tiny country in Africa or South America.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cheapest place to buy a car in Europe is in Andorra. There is no tax (Andorra doesn't have a revenue department), but there is a 4% import duty charge (Andorra is outside of the EU).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I think he's asking in which country is the price to buy a car the cheapest. For example, a brand new Mercedes that would cost $50K in the US, would cost about $65K in the UK, and would cost about $100K in Singapore, all prices for the exact same car. It's a factor of both currency value and taxes/fees.

To OP's question: :shrug: I would assume the country with the cheapest currency and a small government budget, maybe some tiny country in Africa or South America.

right, i meant cheapest in general to buy cars, exotic european cars to be exact.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think US is the cheapest in general.
The editor of EVO magazine in the UK concurs .
He opines that US made vehicles are so low tech( e.g, leaf springs in the F150 truck), that they are cheap and that imports have their prices discounted in order to sell.

m

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The editor of EVO magazine in the UK concurs .
He opines that US made vehicles are so low tech( e.g, leaf springs in the F150 truck), that they are cheap and that imports have their prices discounted in order to sell.

m
Yes, but when you compare the price of the exact same car in the US to somewhere else, the car is going to be a lot cheaper in the US.

Why do you think Mercedes for example makes you sign a piece of paper that you don't export the car for two years after you buy it here...
Go figure...

And the current exchange makes exporting cars even more attractive.

I just bought me an ML320CDI for the same price I would pay for a VW Golf in Germany...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts