The Lotus Cars Community banner

741 - 760 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Fixed" a popeye headlight on my SE...for now. Was very pleased with the cleanliness/condition of the front boot/headlight motors, etc. Ordered new front and rear speakers...Morel Maximo Ultra 402 and 602. I think the Sonys that were in there were OEM..fronts had surrounds completely gone, rears still working but not great. Going to try with existing Alpine CD headunit, and possibly replace that with a Sony high-power single DIN unit with all the new media toys.

Going to try MrDangerus' fuel door waterproofing this weekend, as well as evaluate my air filter for a K&N upgrade.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,952 Posts
Watch the available depth of the speakers behind the seats. There is not much room. I had to settle for mid-range speakers when I updated my sound in the mid-2000s.

I've been thinking about updating my head unit, too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Watch the available depth of the speakers behind the seats. There is not much room. I had to settle for mid-range speakers when I updated my sound in the mid-2000s.

I've been thinking about updating my head unit, too.
The Morels are barely 2.5" deep, which is about as shallow as a decent speaker gets. That's part of why I chose them. If they won't fit, I will re-group.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
"Fixed" a popeye headlight on my SE...for now. Was very pleased with the cleanliness/condition of the front boot/headlight motors, etc. Ordered new front and rear speakers...Morel Maximo Ultra 402 and 602. I think the Sonys that were in there were OEM..fronts had surrounds completely gone, rears still working but not great. Going to try with existing Alpine CD headunit, and possibly replace that with a Sony high-power single DIN unit with all the new media toys.

Going to try MrDangerus' fuel door waterproofing this weekend, as well as evaluate my air filter for a K&N upgrade.
I just so happen to have a brand new K&N air filter for sale :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I’m off the Island until Friday, I’ll look up the number when I get back and email you, you won’t find one cheaper anywhere ;)I no longer have the four cylinder, I have an 01-V8

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts

I would save the money on the K & N. I think the paper filters work fantastic and they all get dirty whether they are K&N or paper. Easier to have two sets of paper and replace the dirty ones with clean ones and then you can if you want bang out the dust to a degree on the paper ones or just keep replacing them. I think the K&N oiled filters are more hype than additional performance in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I would save the money on the K & N. I think the paper filters work fantastic and they all get dirty whether they are K&N or paper. Easier to have two sets of paper and replace the dirty ones with clean ones and then you can if you want bang out the dust to a degree on the paper ones or just keep replacing them. I think the K&N oiled filters are more hype than additional performance in my opinion.
Well said. I had a K&N drop in filter in my 91 MR2 turbo. I did a dyno day at Thunderhill and we did 6 pulls trying different things. I pulled the K&N and put an OE paper filter, absolutely no difference in HP. The K&N cold air kit with a cone filter made 1-2 HP more and was extremely annoying for noise. However, I did find the K&N passed a lot more dirt into the throttle body than the OE filter during the 5 years I owned the car. I washed both K&N filters and sold them. YMMV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have seen the K&N debate across many marques...my B5 Audi S4, my current daily driver Ford Raptor twin turbo, etc. The concerns about oil/debris getting through made me go with AEM dry filter in my Raptor...flowed better than stock and no oil, etc. Is there any less restrictive paper filter than stock for the Esprit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also, I did receive the front speakers yesterday (Morel Maximo Ultra 402s), and I managed to swap them out today, without removing the binnacle! To say the drivers side was a trying and fiddly effort would be an understatement. If I had orangutan arms, it might have been easier, but some creative tool utilization, more patience than I usually can muster, and a reduced size/flexible/magnetized screwdriver got it done...barely. The Morels sound very good, and I expect improvement as they break in. Waiting on the rears, and expecting/hoping for smoother sailing back there.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,952 Posts
Is there any less restrictive paper filter than stock for the Esprit?
Yeah, but these days it's gonna be expensive! o_O

Just kidding... :ROFLMAO:

++++++++++++++++

Does your '91 have the Ram Air Mod yet? Bypasses the intake silencer.

Here are a couple Topics about it:

·
Registered
67 Posts

++++++++++++++++

Does your '91 have the Ram Air Mod yet? Bypasses the intake silencer.

Here are a couple Topics about it:
No on the ram air, simple or Mr Dangerus’ more complex. I may do the simple, but is there concern about moisture getting in when you bypass the silencer with the drain? Frankly, I’m not that concerned about modest performance gains at this point. In time, I may be more inclined to do so. The intake design on the car is far from ideal, especially for a turbo. Having only had the car a short while, I’m still evaluating it and making a triage/priority list of potential mods, with the goal of not going too far afield and adversely affecting its current stock/original condition.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Today, I cleaned and re-oiled the existing K&N filter in my Esprit. Thankfully I had a 6 inch extension and 1/4 inch drive swivel. Also working on cleaning the engine bay and the underside of the Esprit. Hoping to have it ceramic coated this Wednesday.

·
Registered
262 Posts

This of us at a certain age may remember JC Whitney catalogues that had oil filter adapters that would take rolls of TP in place of a filter. Not sure how many they sold but one would assume that some fools bought them. Who needs K&N when you've got Charmin scented?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
If dirt is getting through, then maybe the filter doesn't have enough oil on it. People complaining about too much oil on the filters, well, what about the opposite and not putting enough oil on it?
I have them in my Mazda and had no dirt get through.
I have them in my F80 M3 and it makes more power. Dyno baseline stock and after 300 miles went back and made more HP/TQ, especially in midrange.
I have one in my Exige Cup box, don't know how much that adds, but sounds awesome. I had other mods done at the time of the dyno, so can't tell individually what this added.

·
Registered
1990 Esprit SE
42 Posts
Installed a new fuel pump in my '90 charge cooled SE.
The 30 year old original AC Delco item was starting to growl and didn't meet minimum test pressure spec.
Didn't seem to be affecting performance, even at full boost, but no point in waiting for it to fail.
Original part no longer made so I used the well regarded Walbro GSS340.
Slight mod required to the mounting bracket but otherwise perfect drop in item.
I also siphoned all the bits out of the bottom of the tank while the lid was off.
Surprised to see the tank was in super condition with all steel being bright and rust free.
2 hour job and 6.5/10 on the awkward scale.

Andy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Finished my Morel speaker upgrade last night...rears were a breeze. Took less than 20 minutes to swap out the OE Sony 3ways (I assume they were OE, as they match the OE Sony cassette deck the 1991s came with, and the only info I could find on them dated them to 1991).

These Morel 602 Maximo Ultra are actually shallower in depth than the Sonys due to a stronger but smaller ferrite magnet, and their top mounting is also shorter/more flush. The seat backs do not touch the grilles, even fully extended/reclined. The OE Sony grilles were dented from the seats hitting them. Much improved sound, and I expect more improvement as they break in. Worth consideration if you're in need of an upgrade/replacement. Pics of the fronts included, as well, minus one screw right by the binnacle(!). Now I will see if/how long I can live with the older Alpine CD HU...

IMG_2923.JPG IMG_2928.JPG IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2946.JPG IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2925.JPG IMG_2927.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got tired of the loose headliner tickling my bald head! So took it off, cleaned up the roof panel, and reinstalled...

1988A018-5B9A-43B9-940C-C744F1DA7B8E.jpeg B93085ED-C69E-4EB0-AFB7-F5DEECCAD5DB.jpeg D570814C-A1B6-4CD4-98BA-CC9FA4929D35.jpeg

91E7A712-5613-4800-9096-D3BF62B334A7.jpeg

Reactions: lawdog91SE

·
Registered
85 Posts
Links to the speakers @lawdog91SE? I upgraded my head unit and want to do speakers next. I assume they fit in the stock cutouts?

Eric

·
Registered
67 Posts
Links to the speakers @lawdog91SE? I upgraded my head unit and want to do speakers next. I assume they fit in the stock cutouts?

Eric
Yes, they drop right in the stock cutouts/locations perfectly. With the fronts, you have drop the speakers in and use the stock grilles...the surround on the Morel’s grille is too large/won’t fit on the drivers side due to how tight that area is with the binnacle. The rears go in perfectly/with ease.

Links below...Maximo is the entry level line from Morel, Maximo Ultra is next step up. Crutchfield has the base Maximos, but are currently sold out of the Ultras. I decided to go with the Ultras because the 4” up front have to carry so much in this system. I went with Woofers Etc on eBay...had best prices for new. You can find them cheaper on eBay at some stores that were returns or demos.

741 - 760 of 816 Posts