The Lotus Cars Community banner
861 - 880 of 889 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
Ah - so THAT's what the unknown heat shield is in the stash box I got when I bought the car in 2016.

Got the Esprit aligned today, go with the recently replaced tires. First alignment since 1996.😯 Cost a lot more this time than last time....

They made ME remove (and later, reinstall) the $%@%& heat shield near the LF motor mount. 😏

View attachment 1285116

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Does anyone know where this piece came from?

I do. :p

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
I'll take a stab at it... Charcoal canister, purge hose to reducer.
Oooooooo.. Sorta, kinda, but not really. o_O

Here's a pic from a different angle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hmmm, the angle doesn't help me. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel filler to elbow breather hose.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Looks like weathered/deteriorated clear vinyl hose, which doesn't belong on a Lotus because it's susceptible to degradation, especially in high heat environments...even if the factory put it there... 😉😁😗

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
One final hint:
It was discovered in the trunk. 😏

·
S4s
764 Posts
I remember seeing this before and I got rid of it. I thought it was from the reserve coolant tank to the drain to the bottom of the trunk area.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
I thought it was from the reserve coolant tank to the drain to the bottom of the trunk area.
Close (same tubing!)

But because the Internet is on HOLD while everyone ponders the answer, I'll reveal the secret:

It is a piece of vinyl tubing that Lotus puts over the exposed end of the trunk-latch release cable, so that owners do not become terribly scratched and mutilated while reaching for the contents of the boot. 🏆
I'm SURE that @sleekgt would be crippled if his Esprits didn't have this important safety feature fitted!

I used the same solution as I did for other applications of Lotus' vinyl tubing: regular fuel line.

The cable end (which Lotus bent to the shape of a J, to retain the tube) is now tucked up into the bodywork, out of sight.o_O🙂

Reactions: Seraph

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
I don’t think I’ve seen that.

While I got several things being juggled, I did finally find my extra hatch releases and drilled holes for back up release cables in case primary release cable breaks. I took pictures in that area but don’t recall the vinyl cable protectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Late model V8 has 2:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Late model V8 has 2:
Interesting... the only 'open' cable end on our '88 is on the battery side, as shown. Different configuration.

And, a further update: I needed to un-tuck the cable end from between the bodywork lip, and latch assembly. The fat rubber tube moves when the release is actuated, and I'm afraid of eventual snagging and binding.o_O:eek:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ha ha! A wonderful example of out handbuilt cars. We just need a reprint of the original sticker saying (Danger! Move slowly and carefully when moving about in the luggage area!".
So, that is why I tore my trousers when doing service on the Esprit. Makes sense ;)
I'll go have a look at mine and see if I also miss this important piece of standard equipment.
Kind regards,
Redfox.

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
Just checked my 87 Turbo Esprit. No such vinyl cable protector here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Interesting... the only 'open' cable end on our '88 is on the battery side, as shown. Different configuration.

And, a further update: I needed to un-tuck the cable end from between the bodywork lip, and latch assembly. The fat rubber tube moves when the release is actuated, and I'm afraid of eventual snagging and binding.o_O:eek:
Yes, this is on the battery side. Late V8 has an additional cable with a pull handle, in case you accidentally lock yourself in the trunk. Thank goodness that was mandated by regulators, I'm sure it's saved countless lives.

But it also simplifies adding and emergency backup release in case of cable failure:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
an additional cable with a pull handle
I forgot about that federal requirement. Lots of jokes about having it in the Elise (and other sports cars with small luggage areas).

Hey Steve, did you retain the plunger thing glued onto the front bonnet, that prevents even gerbils from riding there and getting trapped? 😏

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
...Hey Steve, did you retain the plunger thing glued onto the front bonnet, that prevents even gerbils from riding there and getting trapped? 😏
Of course, far be it from me to question the wisdom and remove an obviously necessary federally mandated device.

Same with this helpful label:

I've been looking for some "Do Not Stick Fork In Live Electrical Outlet" labels for my house, but no luck so far.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
far be it from me to question the wisdom and remove an obviously necessary federally mandated device.
I thought that they often fall off, all by themselves, causing ANOTHER rattle. 😏

+++++++++++

Regards the CAUTION! HOT SURFACE! label...That is probably a Lawyer thing.o_O

The shop manual for my wife's convertible is 17,000 pages long. And 2/3rds of every page consist of CAUTIONS and liability disclaimers. :poop:

<<<TOPIC DRIFT ALERT>>>, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I thought that they often fall off, all by themselves, causing ANOTHER rattle. 😏
It seems to be firmly attached. As are most parts on this car. I've been pleasantly surprised at the build quality of the late model Esprit. My reference point being a Europa.

861 - 880 of 889 Posts