The Lotus Cars Community banner
381 - 400 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red Pearl 2005 Elise
150 Posts
This was a few weeks ago. I punted a ~3 lb chunk of asphalt with my splitter at 82 mph. The splitter held up surprisingly well considering the force of the impact.
It landed past the end of the turn and produced a 3 ft dust cloud.
That sounds more like "what was done to your Elise today (that you didn't really want)." I am glad you came out of that encounter relatively unharmed.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,258 Posts
This was a few weeks ago. I punted a ~3 lb chunk of asphalt with my splitter at 82 mph. The splitter held up surprisingly well considering the force of the impact.
It landed past the end of the turn and produced a 3 ft dust cloud.
View attachment 1315544

I was committed to the line by the time I saw it, I could not avoid it.
Wow that’s amazing.Unbelievable that it didn’t do major damage.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus elise- BWR SC'd
52 Posts
Very nice (and the garage looks good too)! 👍

From the looks of the rear tread, seems like you have had some fun and will be posting about new tires soon... 🤪
Thank you ! And yes currently trying to order some tires and brakes actually but everything I want seems to be on back order or delayed -_-

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise (Chrome Orange)
193 Posts
SSC harness bar, Schroth belts, and a fire extinguisher w/ mount done
How do you like the SSC harness bar? That is the one I have been eyeing myself. Solid, clean lightweight solution with only minimal trimming. Did you install yourself? US Elise with rear speakers?

·
Registered
266 Posts
How do you like the SSC harness bar? That is the one I have been eyeing myself. Solid, clean lightweight solution with only minimal trimming. Did you install yourself? US Elise with rear speakers?
I like it as a solid clean bar that makes harness wrapping a bit easier and fitment of the bar into the brackets is remarkably precise with a uniform look.

If I had a chance to look again though, likely would've choose a different bar as trimming instructions were off by a few millimeters needed to be higher 2mm to have brackets sit horizontally and only problem with that is it gets really tight to other molding pieces behind the trim that are in the way.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise (Chrome Orange)
193 Posts
I like it as a solid clean bar that makes harness wrapping a bit easier and fitment of the bar into the brackets is remarkably precise with a uniform look.

If I had a chance to look again though, likely would've choose a different bar as trimming instructions were off by a few millimeters needed to be higher 2mm to have brackets sit horizontally and only problem with that is it gets really tight to other molding pieces behind the trim that are in the way.
. Got a close up picture to better clarify? Not sure I am following 100% other than the trimming instructions are not spot on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't take a pic of the molding on the the other side of the trim without removing the bar and speakers, but these are the dimensions as they sit for me.

Bar won't be level at the 18mm down from center of seatbelt hole, so while a little annoying, needed to use a square file in very narrow movements as to not file the molding behind... not hard to get 2mm more upward off eventually.
All the other measurements on the SSC guide checked out. Likely just a matter of subtle differences between cars.

Automotive design Bumper Carbon Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
266 Posts
and as another heads up warning for others doing harnesses, beware of factory or previous owners drenching belt bolts in Red Loctite. It took just over 2 hours to get one bolt that stripped and refused to come out.
Periodic application of penetrating oil, a heat gun, 2 different sets of bolt extractors and a small pry bar because it was glued to the thick spacer, eventually won over the bolt.

After struggling with the first, went serious from the get go on the other bolts and had no issues.

Circuit component Cylinder Cable Auto part Tower

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,258 Posts
and as another heads up warning for others doing harnesses, beware of factory or previous owners drenching in belt bolts Red Loctite. It took just over 2 hours to get one bolt that stripped and refused to come out.
Periodic application of penetrating oil, a heat gun, 2 different sets of bolt extractors and a small pry bar because it was glued to the thick spacer eventually won.

After struggling with the first, went serious from the get go on the other bolts and had no issues.

View attachment 1315725
Lock tight breaks down at around 500F
Not easy to get that hot in this case but when you can bolts come out easily.

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red Pearl 2005 Elise
150 Posts
The 3D printed mirror adapter arrived, I tapped it, and installed the new, much smaller rear view mirror in the Elise. It sits a bit higher than the original mirror and is just the right size so I no longer see the the seats, just out the back glass. It also does not interfere as much with visibility on right-hand turns. I sit high in the seat and was very tired of leaning or hunkering to see around the OE mirror.
Wood Usb flash drive Flash memory Computer data storage Data storage device
Water Fluid Wood Rectangle Liquid
Rectangle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades
Mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood
Car Mirror Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
266 Posts
I may trim it inside more but based distance outward on outer part of rear wheel to give extra protection

Automotive tire Blue Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

and took the opportunity to replace the rubber well nuts (3 out of 4 on the left, 2 out of 4 on the right; weren't secure anymore) with jack nuts and bigger hardware for more hold that in the end saved some weight (units in grams...using the kitchen scale for parts again). Project still adds weight as each side skirt is 2.1 lbs.

Grey Composite material Gas Personal protective equipment Hat

Gadget Input device Audio equipment Output device Office equipment

381 - 400 of 409 Posts