The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently won a full detail and ceramic coating at our local British car club meeting, I'm impressed! I also install the GRP mesh kit in the front, I didn't like the exposed bits (that weren't meant to be exposed) at the top of the radiator exit. My solution was black textured ABS plastic that I cut, heated and formed to cover everything. It looks like what Lotus did with the Exige

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed my new Larini sport exhaust on my 07 this week. Stock wasn't cutting it for me. I love the new sound! Great on acceleration and actually quieter when just cruising. This is the first upgrade I've done to my stock Elise. Also have an all British car show this weekend and will be doing my first ever autocross next weekend so I might be needing new tires soon.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short story: New battery.

Long story: On a beautiful autumn day, thinking it might be my last drive of the season, I planned a sweet twisty route and hopped in the car. No start, only lighted electrics and the TAT TAT TAT of the solenoid. It had been a month since its last outing but I'd had it on a battery maintainer so I was a bit annoyed. Gave it an hour on a charger and it started right up. Took my drive (route link below, if interested), which was quite nice, and returned home, at which point the car again did not start. With no reason to doubt the alternator, and the battery being 2012 vintage, I sprang for a new one.

Route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.7782483,-122.3175007/Echo+Lake+Rd+&+Lost+Lake+Rd,+Maltby,+WA/S+2nd+Ave+&+Lenora+Street,+Everett,+WA/@47.8378634,-122.1854392,12z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m0!1m10!1m1!1s0x54900983cdffc135:0xe044247cffb43d4b!2m2!1d-122.0596389!2d47.7932811!3m4!1m2!1d-122.0514352!2d47.8251385!3s0x549009cfaff2e661:0x11b8f6c214958e3e!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490009946f4b01f:0x584bcfe19bc323b4!2m2!1d-122.1943525!2d47.9473251!3e0

·
AKA “Prolene”.
19 Posts
Finished MT90 transmission and engine oil changes and mounted new set of R888s on LSS wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let’s see, I’ve been busy. In the last month and a half Ive
1 replaced the oil, coolant, tranny fluid,
2 new brake rotors in the rear, new pads all the way around
3 made my headlights so they are useful again (they were filmed over by a PO so didn’t work worth a damn)
4 painted the plastic covers on the engine. That makes it go faster right?
5 swapped out to a moroso baffled oil pan
6 this week will swap to a newer toe link setup
I think that’s about it.

ETA I also put new fire hawk 500s on. Almost forgot about the new shoes

·
2005 Elise 111R Owner
75 Posts
Got the rear up to work on replacing the exhaust silicone mounts and brackets on the left side that have fallen off completely, leaving the exhaust resting on the diffuser. Had a helper too.

Sent from my Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just finished my pre-winter storage work which has been on going for the last month. I replaced the radiator and front rubber coolant hoses, thermostat, stainless brake lines, and gpan3. Also drove without the clam to fill up with gas and stabil. Now when the weather turns itll be ready to rock and roll!

Gas Station trip:

Removing the old oil pan. Huge pain in the butt:

New pan. You can see I used the BOE gasket rather than RTV. Even if it leaks I'd rather replace it every year than deal with a pan that hard to remove:

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I've been slowly getting my 2006 Elise sorted. She came to me with busted lips as shown below. I repaired them with Bondo Hair fiberglass, and painted them with Ardent Red from Automotive Touchup paints. Not terrible for my first glass repair. I've also done:
1. Oil and filter change
2. Replaced broken, cracked driver side door pull.
3. Major clean out. Unbelievable amount of leaves and spider webs in the undertray.
4. Made sure rear toe links tightened to spec. Appear to be stock and in good shape.
5. Fixed CDL module with help from the forum. Replaced the 2 relays for 8 bucks. Now it works!
6. Cleaned out old rotten headliner and adhesive and replaced with new headliner.
7. Cleaned off decayed rubberized muck on the driver airbag.
8. Painted my engine covers.
9. Cleaned up the flaking clear coat on the headlight lenses with the Sylvania kit. Nice big, beautiful, clear eyes!

To do:
1. Still needs new tires. Can't believe how much Yokohama AD07s cost. Everything for this car costs $700! Clam hinge, $700, New wheels, $700, New tires, $700. New exhaust, $700.
2. Got some Lotus polycarbonate front chin guards and painted them Ardent Red. Haven't decided whether to mount them or not.
3. Had to peal off the clear bra on the nose to repair the front. Ordered an Expel nose piece from Gregs Race Parts. Will mount when that arrives. The one I pealed off wasn't Lotus Star Shield, but that is what is on the rest of the car (has little Lotus logos). They are cracked with black lines under the cracks. Need to replace, but dreading the removal process, especially the side rocker panels.

Anyway, great forum! I'm learning a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So I've been slowly getting my 2006 Elise sorted. She came to me with busted lips as shown below. I repaired them with Bondo Hair fiberglass, and painted them with Ardent Red from Automotive Touchup paints. Not terrible for my first glass repair. I've also done:
1. Oil and filter change
3. Major clean out. Unbelievable amount of leaves and spider webs in the undertray.
4. Made sure rear toe links tightened to spec. Appear to be stock and in good shape.
5. Fixed CDL module with help from the forum. Replaced the 2 relays for 8 bucks. Now it works!
6. Cleaned out old rotten headliner and adhesive and replaced with new headliner.
9. Cleaned up the flaking clear coat on the headlight lenses with the Sylvania kit. Nice big, beautiful, clear eyes!

To do:
1. Still needs new tires. Can't believe how much Yokohama AD07s cost. Everything for this car costs $700! Clam hinge, $700, New wheels, $700, New tires, $700. New exhaust, $700.
2. Got some Lotus polycarbonate front chin guards and painted them Ardent Red. Haven't decided whether to mount them or not.
3. Had to peal off the clear bra on the nose to repair the front. Ordered an Expel nose piece from Gregs Race Parts. Will mount when that arrives. The one I pealed off wasn't Lotus Star Shield, but that is what is on the rest of the car (has little Lotus logos). They are cracked with black lines under the cracks. Need to replace, but dreading the removal process, especially the side rocker panels.

Nice. I'm planning to put some Bondo underneath the front of the car. It seems to scrape driveways etc several times per year and there are some holes underneath. The nice thing is I won't need to do a great job cosmetically. I'm adding this just to strengthen it a bit.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
250 Posts
1. Oil and filter change

To do:

Regret this task for sure. I removed my front starshield last summer. Real pain. Heat to loosen it, plastic scraper to remove it. Turtle Wax adhesive remover to loosen the remaining adhesive (which coagulates it), scrape that residue off. repeat adhesive remover 2X times to get it all off. Gonna take many hours to do it. Without a lift, plan to spend a lot of time in awkward positions.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice. I'm planning to put some Bondo underneath the front of the car. It seems to scrape driveways etc several times per year and there are some holes underneath. The nice thing is I won't need to do a great job cosmetically. I'm adding this just to strengthen it a bit.
I recommend Bondo Glass or Bondo Hair. Very strong. Kind of hard to apply, but easy to form and sand. Bondo is good for filling defects, but not too strong.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I recommend Bondo Glass or Bondo Hair. Very strong. Kind of hard to apply, but easy to form and sand. Bondo is good for filling defects, but not too strong.
This. The dog hair Bondo is basically polyester resin FRP - pretty much what the clams were made of to begin with. It's hard to make pretty, but very strong - also harder than the pink styrene/poly bondo you're used to. I've got some thick aluminum sheet (DOT sign) scrap I'll be gluing to the bottom of the front clam as skid plates. The reasoning is that if the hit is too bad, it will just rip the plate off versus it hanging up on something and do more damage to the clam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This. The dog hair Bondo is basically polyester resin FRP - pretty much what the clams were made of to begin with. It's hard to make pretty, but very strong - also harder than the pink styrene/poly bondo you're used to. I've got some thick aluminum sheet (DOT sign) scrap I'll be gluing to the bottom of the front clam as skid plates. The reasoning is that if the hit is too bad, it will just rip the plate off versus it hanging up on something and do more damage to the clam.
I just kind of glopped the Bondo Hair into the hole in the lip, then covered it with strips of plastic packing tape following the contours of the body. Dried rock solid, basically smooth after I removed the tape, and was easy to sand. I then used regular Bondo to fill in smaller defects and glazing putty to deal with the tiny pinholes, irregularities, etc. Primed, painted, and clear coat. You can tell if you get on the ground up close and run your fingers along it, but it is not visible just standing looking at the car. I imagine the clear bra will also cover subtle imperfections.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts