The Lotus Cars Community banner

4681 - 4700 of 5816 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
In process of making a new exhaust, V1 is basically 3" Plack exhaust. We will be developing a resonator muffler system for it. All stainless steel high class hater pipe!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Installed the Plack exhaust. Sounds great so far but I'll have to see if I feel the same way after more time with it. Definitely more like how it should have sounded from the factory. Now at least the sound matches the looks! PSX_20190626_212901_1561602755133.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Installed the Plack exhaust. Sounds great so far but I'll have to see if I feel the same way after more time with it. Definitely more like how it should have sounded from the factory. Now at least the sound matches the looks! View attachment 1234008
I've never heard a Plack in person, is it prone to drone between 2k-3k? The one I made is sooooo loud!

·
Registered
288 Posts
They say the Plack has some drone. So, I added a small resonator when I built my pipe. I do not have any drone with mine.
That's pretty sweet! Installing this little guy tonight to see if it helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
That's pretty sweet! Installing this little guy tonight to see if it helps.
Yeah, that will probably do it for you. You don't need much.

In fact, on the first pipe I built, I just used a resonated tip (see pic below). That alone removed most of the drone. But, for the last pipe (shown above) I used a Vibrant 1792 resonator with cut down flanges.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've never heard a Plack in person, is it prone to drone between 2k-3k? The one I made is sooooo loud!
Yeah there is a bit of drone but I'm a bit used to it from my other car. The Lotus splits my daily driving duties in the summer so I don't know if it will end up being too obnoxious. It it gets to that point I might have a small resonator like the one you have there added in to reduce drone and bring it all down a notch. The pops and gurgles are pretty great though.

·
LotusTrbo
29 Posts
Replaced the plastic covers on the door pulls with leather wrapped ones, Installed the mood lighting modification and replaced the passenger side window regulator as the auto-drop stopped working. Only ... well I should say the next thing is the passenger side airbag clips ... wish me luck.

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Replaced the plastic covers on the door pulls with leather wrapped ones, Installed the mood lighting modification and replaced the passenger side window regulator as the auto-drop stopped working. Only ... well I should say the next thing is the passenger side airbag clips ... wish me luck.
That next task is a big step, pulling the dash out. What year is your car?

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, that will probably do it for you. You don't need much.

In fact, on the first pipe I built, I just used a resonated tip (see pic below). That alone removed most of the drone. But, for the last pipe (shown above) I used a Vibrant 1792 resonator with cut down flanges.
After running the shorty resonator, I came to the conclusion that more work is needed. It dropped the dB for the entire rev range, but did almost nothing for the drone. My GF doesn't like the new sound and definitely prefers the factory exhaust, which is what is going back on for the 4th of July road trip, haha!

Yeah there is a bit of drone but I'm a bit used to it from my other car. The Lotus splits my daily driving duties in the summer so I don't know if it will end up being too obnoxious. It it gets to that point I might have a small resonator like the one you have there added in to reduce drone and bring it all down a notch. The pops and gurgles are pretty great though.
As mentioned above, it doesn't do enough, so we're going to do some playing around with a helmholtz chamber and quarter wave chamber to see about killing the terrible drone. worst case scenario, we'll put a valve in to reduce the throughput diameter.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
After running the shorty resonator, I came to the conclusion that more work is needed. It dropped the dB for the entire rev range, but did almost nothing for the drone. My GF doesn't like the new sound and definitely prefers the factory exhaust, which is what is going back on for the 4th of July road trip, haha!

As mentioned above, it doesn't do enough, so we're going to do some playing around with a helmholtz chamber and quarter wave chamber to see about killing the terrible drone. worst case scenario, we'll put a valve in to reduce the throughput diameter.
That stinks. I wonder if its the pipe/resonator size (OEM S is 2.5" vs 400 at 3") that is making a difference. The resonator I used was 12" (OL) x 2.5" diameter. Even after cutting down the flanges, I still had about 9" of resonator left. And, I may be wrong, but I do think that all of the metal heat shielding back there is adding to potential drone issues.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
That stinks. I wonder if its the pipe/resonator size (OEM S is 2.5" vs 400 at 3") that is making a difference. The resonator I used was 12" (OL) x 2.5" diameter. Even after cutting down the flanges, I still had about 9" of resonator left. And, I may be wrong, but I do think that all of the metal heat shielding back there is adding to potential drone issues.
The OAL of the resonator that I used is 5" so the total resonator length is about 3", combined with the larger diameter, I wasn't expecting much. We will be doing some sound chambers off to each side to help with the drone, it will just take time and effort to properly tune them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My buddies and I all went in on some scales, here is the weight of my Evora with the factory exhaust installed and 1/2 a tank of gas. The hater pipe shaves another 32lbs :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: GregsRaceParts

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
My buddies and I all went in on some scales, here is the weight of my Evora with the factory exhaust installed and 1/2 a tank of gas. The hater pipe shaves another 32lbs :grin2:
Your Corner Weights are messed up:
your LF is 23 Lbs more than RF, while your RR is 38 Lbs more than LR.
Either LOWER the LF or RR. OR RAISE the RF or LR until the Left to Right ratios are EQUAL, WITH the driver in position.
It DOES make a difference in handling.

4681 - 4700 of 5816 Posts