The Lotus Cars Community banner

4821 - 4840 of 4874 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I will get a picture of rear/side tomorrow. I have a couple that show a little more barge boards. I had them installed by dealer and they used a few inserts on each side

·
Registered
837 Posts
Bought the car in June - now has 2300 miles. Washed and vacuumed it for the first time. Have been keeping it clean with Meguiar's spray mist detailer and micro fiber cloths from the Rag Co. Also some windex/paper towels on the bugs up front.

Removed the sticky back protective plastic cover from the driver floor mat. The dealer ignored the instructions written all over the plastic cover to remove prior to delivery. I'm glad it was still on the floor mat.

With the lighting just right noticed three small anomalies (looks like depressions the diameter of a pencil erasure) in the paint on the roof above the passenger side. Hard to see unless you are looking.

The car looks good. Acceleration is fun on the expressway on ramps - if no cars around the only place to open it up. Hoping the salt season holds off for a while.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Beware, High Zinc / ZDDP oils WILL destroy a catalytic converter, plugging it up with deposits.
That is why most oils specified for modern cars have Low ZDDP.
The High ZDDP is primarily for older flat tappet valve engines, which modern engines do not have.
All cars benefit from high ZDDP, not just tappet valve cars. Car companies switched to lower and lower zinc because they have to warranty the cats for several years longer than the powertrain. It was a simple economic decision.

Personally, I'd rather replace cats sooner if it means saving the engine some wear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All cars benefit from high ZDDP, not just tappet valve cars. Car companies switched to lower and lower zinc because they have to warranty the cats for several years longer than the powertrain. It was a simple economic decision.

Personally, I'd rather replace cats sooner if it means saving the engine some wear.
You are correct. Also, a side note for Sprinter owners. Mercedes diesel engines really need a high ZDDP oil to have a long life. It destroys the timing chain without it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks great. Where did you source the jhooks from and can you share pricing?
Gary @ Deroure works very hard to provide exception service to owners in the states. I have no idea on price because of exchange rate, shipping and duty. I've bought a lot and haven't figured it out. They are not cheap but you won't do any better on pricing than with Gary.

·
Illegal Alien
4,613 Posts
Regardless of Cats, too much ZDDP is not a good thing for our engines either, causing acids and pitting, most good oils have reduced cheap ZDDP due to EP extended Cat live and replaced with more expensive wear additives such as molybendum. So we are not loosing out of wear protection. That said the normal SN oils are about 800-900 ppm ea of Zinc and Phos while Euro spec oils such as Mobil 1 0W-40 are at 1000- 1100 ppm

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts

Please explain what high ZDDP benefits other than valve train on flat tappet engines, that modern oils do not protect ??
I'd love to see the documentation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please explain what high ZDDP benefits other than valve train on flat tappet engines, that modern oils do not protect ??
I'd love to see the documentation.
Nope. This is a "what did you do to your evora" thread. I am not here to convince you or anyone else on which oil to use. Plenty of literature on that already, do your own research and do what's best for your car.

·
Illegal Alien
4,613 Posts
Nope. This is a "what did you do to your evora" thread. I am not here to convince you or anyone else on which oil to use. Plenty of literature on that already, do your own research and do what's best for your car.
Bobsy initially stated a fact and you followed up with an opinion to which you refuse to support; don't try to hind behind "this is the wrong thread"

4821 - 4840 of 4874 Posts