The Lotus Cars Community banner

4841 - 4860 of 4879 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
Centers on the Evora lights do not light up on reverse. However, the Exige and Elise variants do. Probably because we already have reverse lights on the bumper
Only the Euro Spec lights use the center for yellow turn signal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Finally got around to removing all the hidden component parts and wiring for the old Alpine HU.
Just short of 10kg in total!
Pioneer replacement was just about 4kg.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
So that includes head unit, XM, back up cameras, amps , mics, speakers??? What is missing in the Pioneer package???

·
Registered
190 Posts
So that includes head unit, XM, back up cameras, amps , mics, speakers??? What is missing in the Pioneer package???
No, just the hu, imprint, sat nav, an rgb/ co ax box and miles of cabling. The pioneer is all in one unit. I replaced the mic and aerials but no measurable weight change there. The rear camera stays the same.

Seperate JL (morel in the usa) power amp, morel sub and speakers already fitted.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Bet the heat sinks in the new unit are the biggest change.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Some people were more interested in features than sound on the early Evora head units. I have always been a fan of Alpine sound quality. It runs flawlessy...well it did freeze up (Nav) once years ago, but it probably interfaces with my old ipods far better than the new stuff. granted that is the stonge ages if you have AA or ACP. But you don't get 160 gB of storage for your 15K + song library in those phones....We have gone backwards with memory when it has gotten ridiculously cheap. I actually want a phone with a 500gB SS drive to put my entire library on LOSSLESS!!! Then AA will mean something to me. esp if it integrates and perfroms as well as it does in my RRS or the Evora.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My modern alpine deck has night and day better sound than the old 10kg unit. I’d say a lot of this is getting rid of the stupid Imprint module though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was surprised at the level of improvement in sound quality from the Alpine to the Pioneer. I had always preferred the Alpine over the Pioneer in the past for car audio.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like my Pioneer much more for sound quality than my old Alpine, the controls are much better as I was able to wire the speakers in "network" mode. This way I can control the tweeters separately and they have they're own dedicated channel amplification. Also, I believe that the new AA has the ability to play lossless files as long as the phone can decode them, hence I run MQA format from my LG V35 via Tidal.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Little help her
1. MQA??
2. Tidal

I would love to be able to get my Apple Lossless library to work on something besides Apple Music in my Samsung phone

·
Registered
244 Posts
Little help her
1. MQA??
2. Tidal

I would love to be able to get my Apple Lossless library to work on something besides Apple Music in my Samsung phone
Haha, I'm a bit of an audio nerd. MQA is a file format compression that allows higher bitrate music files to be played at a "smaller" file size. Files are still 50MB per song, but they sure do sound good! Tidal is a music service that uses MQA files for their "Master" tracks, you need special hardware to decode it.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
204 Posts
...I actually want a phone with a 500gB SS drive to put my entire library on LOSSLESS!!!
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but if you're wishing for a large capacity iPod (up to 1TB), I've been a happy user of Mapplesyrup iPods for a while. They're available at at mapplesyrup.webs.com and sometimes under the ebay user name "tsandrew".

My iPods also have the iMod option that is suppose to improve the sound by circumventing some internal processing although I've never done a side-by-side comparison to really hear the difference.

I have no connection to this company, just a happy customer. I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
My modern alpine deck has night and day better sound than the old 10kg unit. I’d say a lot of this is getting rid of the stupid Imprint module though.
I don't know much about the units used in different years but I removed the Alpine Head Unit in my 2018 Evora and replaced with one I can use Apple Car Play. Still have it sitting around and if anyone can use it will sell it very cheap, $100 + shipping It's this Model https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gvEtyTs4ubR/p_500INEW960/Alpine-INE-W960.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not actually "today" but I bought Ken's take-off OEM Lotus CF tailgate. I will install when the few parts I need get in and Ken gets back from Sema. Photos to follow but ya'll know what they look like. It's a vanity but I'm vain!
Ain't nothing wrong with vanity when it comes to a thing you love.

That was a good purchase, nice job. All OEM, bolt on and bolt off, completely reversible. Hard to make a better mod decision that that!

·
Loves to talk
820 Posts
Thanks XX! I agree and your points factored in my decision. I'm a "cheep bastid " and can be accurately identified as a person who normally poo-poos carbon additions as a very expensive way to add lightness but....I couldn't resist! Thanks, Ken!

4841 - 4860 of 4879 Posts